What's going on here?

joeClockwork

There were a lot of things that DJ's did that baffled me when I was young, and then I eventually worked out what they were doing, but I still can't figure this out.

It starts at 7:25 and the bit I can't work out is when it goes, "This is how we get..." *STOP* and then he repeats the word 'hey' really fast, but how the fuck does he do it? I don't think he's triggering it with a sampler because the pitch varies each time (plus it's 1997, so pre-DVS) and it's too fast to be feasibly done with two copies of a record, especially as one of the turntables has just been stopped.

I don't get it. Anyone?? Maybe it's something to do with tape that I don't know about...

its possible that he could have backspun that second deck faster than you think. but it's most likely an edit. even though that was '97, that mix was still not done entirely live. shit, even I had a copy of sound forge back in '99 before i even bought turntables.

Here's what I think it is given the time period and also the specific DJ doing it. So for starters, Scribble is fucking stupid fast. Like MMM in a way. So keep that in mind. He's always been a low-key scratch idol along with DJ Scratch. I think the Ha-Ha-Ha-Hay is a juggle. I don't know what the move it called because I'm shit at juggling but the X-Men used to do similar stuff. Scribble is doing that but faster because he just is faster. The reason the turntable just stopped and how it got it back on so fast is likely the mix was done on a 4-track like a Zoom or something which is what most people did at the time.

That's my guess. I can't think what else it would be.

• Like 1

Here's what I think it is given the time period and also the specific DJ doing it. So for starters, Scribble is fucking stupid fast. Like MMM in a way. So keep that in mind. He's always been a low-key scratch idol along with DJ Scratch. I think the Ha-Ha-Ha-Hay is a juggle. I don't know what the move it called because I'm shit at juggling but the X-Men used to do similar stuff. Scribble is doing that but faster because he just is faster. The reason the turntable just stopped and how it got it back on so fast is likely the mix was done on a 4-track like a Zoom or something which is what most people did at the time.

That's my guess. I can't think what else it would be.

I agree that it was probably done on a four track but I can't see how it's possible to repeat a sound that fast. That clip you linked to shows fast fader work but he's letting the record play while he does that. Skribble is repeating one word in 16s, and the change in pitch suggests that he is doing it as a live juggle, but I just don't think it's physically possible to switch between records that quickly.

• Like 2

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Yeah, i don't think it sounds too fast for a juggle, esp like diggy says. Chase chase chase chase. It does sound hells clean though which might be from a comp take.

Most likely it's edited, he probably 2-tracked stabs to do the same effect as if you have 2 DJs stabbing back and forth I don't think that juggle pattern is possible unless he's being SUPER crafty. The only way I could conceive of it being pulled off without edits is if he did something like...

-made a sticker loop on 1 side so he doesn't have to backspin to the "HEY"
-used the forearm trick that Diggla mentioned a la Total Eclipse (2:10

)

Basically you can't backspin/loop 16th notes at all without doing that forearm trick (or using your stomach lol) but as demonstrated in the Total Eclipse video you can't set that trick up instantly at that speed, so you wouldn't have time to backspin and be right into it. So he'd need a sticker loop that would allow him to get his forearm into position and start the doubling at that speed without having to backspin.

He does six 16th notes with the "hey" and the vid diggla posted earlier is 16th notes as well but generally you can only do a maximum of 3 of the same sound in a row (tripling), and MAYBE 4 if you're super incredibly slick on the right beat, but 6 of the same note isn't a thing unless it's a beat that has the same note or word twice in a row.

If he was using the forearm technique you would hear the backspins as well, no?

That was my point earlier: you could get it to sound that fast/clean with two notes in a row, but not one note on its own. It's impossible.

I still think it's an edit. It seems like a strange thing to do, to go to all that trouble. No wonder he only did it once during the entire mix!

If he was using the forearm technique you would hear the backspins as well, no?

That was my point earlier: you could get it to sound that fast/clean with two notes in a row, but not one note on its own. It's impossible.

I still think it's an edit. It seems like a strange thing to do, to go to all that trouble. No wonder he only did it once during the entire mix!

Nope, with the forearm technique you shouldn't hear the backspins if it's done clean, however I agree it's highly unlikely he set them up at 16th notes so quickly and nailed them. Total Eclipse is the best at the technique that I've seen and even he has to gradually speed up to 16th notes over a couple bars, and even with him you still hear the backspin sometimes.