Freestyle Scratch Track from the Other Day

Fuck it, everybody just drop by my house and we can bang these out all day long! My house is heated and I have, literally, all the water you could ever hope to drink.

On a side note, you guys who have the opportunity to regularly get up with a crew of DJs and do more than just round-table sessions are super-lucky! I've been at this since 95, and this is the first time I've been able team up with multiple DJs in the same room who (a) have the technical ability to pull off scratch composition, (b) have the musical ability to make things sound half-way decent and © are generally stable enough to operate in a group. Not that we came up with anything too crazy but I honestly underestimated how easy it is to come up with cool shit when you have a group of competent DJs.

• Like 3

Spotted this on your Insta the other day, super dope dude!

I honestly underestimated how easy it is to come up with cool shit when you have a group of competent DJs.

We had a really dope freestyle dj band jam at the Xmas SSS, I'm always cautious of these kinda jams at SSS as it only takes one over keen cutter to make it fall apart - everyone needs to be on the same page of little is more etc...

Really wish we had the camera rolling and line in audio of that xmas SSS jam, despite having around 7 of us on the cut at the same time it sounded really dope with loads of good build and break down moments.

(until one of the non regulars got a bit to keen)

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Yeah this is dope. I down to drink your water!

I remember one sss in particular at rye where we all seemed to be really in tune to what each other was doing compositionally and were flow really nicely between sections and not over doing it.

• Like 1

I remember one sss in particular at rye where we all seemed to be really in tune to what each other was doing compositionally and were flow really nicely between sections and not over doing it.

Thats because Rye is the super red eyed stoned AF session innit. There's def been a few goodans at the Rye scratch palace :)

• Like 1

Dragon's Lair and Space Ace had me captivated when I first saw them as a kid lurking in arcades, but it doesn't take long before you realise they are complete bullshit as games.

Yeah this is dope. I down to drink your water!

Im sure that was the one a year ago. There were band bits that made sense and i was pleased to hear some really good cutting over beats I made. Luckily I the whole session was captured via go pro, unluckily the owner of said useful footage lost it all shortly afterwards.

• Like 1

Dragon's Lair and Space Ace had me captivated when I first saw them as a kid lurking in arcades, but it doesn't take long before you realise they are complete bullshit as games.

Word. people tend to either love or hate those laserdisc games. If you can get over the fact that you can't fully control the cartoon (kind of an unrealistic expectation for 1983 technology when you think about it) the arcade version has more appeal because it's not castrated like all the home versions. In the home versions you can continue and that completely kills a game because there's no challenge and no replayability. In the arcade you drop your 50 cents and have to make it through with no continues (I think you can get up to 5 lives and that's it). The arcade also has more punishing rules for the timing of your movements and for incorrect moves (you can also adjust the difficulty level). That being said, at its core is basically a modified version of Simon Says and tons of people just don't like that style of game.

I got this laserdisc with prototype Dragon's Lair footage that's a little more "open". Instead of just one way to make it through a room, there's multiple ways. It's obviously not full control over the cartoon but it gives you feeling of a lot more control. Not sure why they gave up on that. Probably animation expense.

Space Ace is just crazy hard and that's what takes me back to that one. Dragon's Lair II is even harder. Every few years I try to make a run on those and I still haven't beaten em.

But anyway, the thing I learned about owning arcade games is that you want them to be super hard because otherwise you dominate them and they won't keep you interested. Anything with continues is not good because when the game doesn't cost you anything per play there's no incentive not to die anymore (it's like playing the lotto with no money if you win). For example, Gauntlet was cool in the arcade but sucks for the home. I've got Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and that one just doesn't have much replay for me. Got that for my son who liked it when he was 3 but he's moved on. A game like Ms. Pacman will take hours to play when you get good because its too easy. Q*Bert is also too easy but there's a "Harder, Faster, More Challenging Q*Bert" that's good. Dragon's Lair and Space Ace kind of have a mid-way appeal for me. They're not really motor-skill games like Donkey Kong so I don't play them as much but they're hard to beat and don't take more than 20 minutes or so.

Spotted this on your Insta the other day, super dope dude!

I honestly underestimated how easy it is to come up with cool shit when you have a group of competent DJs.

We had a really dope freestyle dj band jam at the Xmas SSS, I'm always cautious of these kinda jams at SSS as it only takes one over keen cutter to make it fall apart - everyone needs to be on the same page of little is more etc...

Really wish we had the camera rolling and line in audio of that xmas SSS jam, despite having around 7 of us on the cut at the same time it sounded really dope with loads of good build and break down moments.

(until one of the non regulars got a bit to keen)

And 9 times out of 10 that dude thinks he's the most bad-ass DJ in the world.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Dudes in the States seem to like those laser disc games loads more than dudes over here, they were pretty much universally disliked as far as i remember. They promised so much! When i watched the latest Stranger things i thought it was really weird that they going nuts over Dragon's Lair, but it seems to be true to degree. I only ever played the arcades fyi.

Don't get me wrong though, i love a rock hard arcade game, that harder Q*bert is the shizznit, though when they are like Narc where it's easy until you get to the end boss and then if you don't have enough special weapons you're screwed and can't complete it, that was bullshit when they did that. Most arcades were really hard as a kid, esp when you only have like one credit a machine cos you wanna play them all. Some of them were soooo punishing, esp the shooters and you can't dwell on them cos you wanna go and play POW, Afterburner and Double Dragon and only have enough for one or two goes each. Damn i love my retropie with the arcade stick, though occasionally having infinite credits does suck the fun out of them.

Mad Dog McCree was a similarly disappointing game..

Anyway, sorry to kestrel the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a longer edit from the same improvisational sesh and that should be on "Put the Needle on the Record with Billy Jam" tonight on WFMU (7:00 PM Eastern Time) (these stream after they're aired).

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/84198

If you didn't know already, Billy Jam helped put on the Skratch Piklz back in the 90's with the Shiggar Fragger Show, released some Bullet Proof Scratch Hamster joints, did the Turntables by the Bay compilations etc. Somehow he and Alf linked up (Alf seems to knows everybody) and Alf slid the track to him.

WFMU is kind of cool in and of itself. It's out of New Jersey (right outside of NYC) and is one of a dying breed of independent radio stations in the U.S. that still plays what the DJs want to play. Pretty dope. I'm pretty sure Billy does his thing in Frisco but broadcasts out of Jersey.

• Like 1