Thud Rumble presents: The Invader

Steve

to me it looks like an unfinished 'glued together on a friday afternoon' mixer...basically nothing special with a internal pc running and a few buttons to bang on

This(internal serato/traktor) has been done before, the idea of ditching a laptop is nice but DVS always comes with staring to screens....

I guess this being presented by thud rumble people are hyped about it..but yes the mixer market should open up, get rid of the monopoly of brands and their ridiculous prices, so this is a first step?

• Like 1

I really like the basic concept. It needs to be rugged, touch screen would be really important (although Serato isn't all that touch screen friendly last I checked). Whatever it is I just want it to work right out of the box and never need to update it, or any of that crap. The computer-nerd world does not mesh all that well with me. It's like an unstated rule that you put out something that's buggy as hell and then change it every 60 days but it never really works exactly right and half the time an "update" just means more problems. I say get it stable, put it out, and leave it alone.

• Like 6

Whatever it is I just want it to work right out of the box and never need to update it, or any of that crap. The computer-nerd world does not mesh all that well with me. It's like an unstated rule that you put out something that's buggy as hell and then change it every 60 days but it never really works exactly right and half the time an "update" just means more problems. I say get it stable, put it out, and leave it alone.

Totally agree with this!

• Like 1

Traktor isn't designed with touch screens in mind. If there was a DVS that was, or they created their own, that would make it a lot more attractive IMO.

The screen being in a fixed position isn't great either. Ideally you'd be able to tilt it up towards you at the very least.

Oh yeah, the initial price is supposed to be $2,500.

$2500......fuuuck. they got the denon prime 4 stand alone controller on pre order for $1,700. and you dont even need turntables for those. i never fully understood why dj equipment always had to cost so much. especially with all the diy and coders out there. somewhere, i seen some kid rigged up a DVS using rasberry pi. seriously, they should be able to drop this mixer for under or just around $1K.

• Like 2

Traktor isn't designed with touch screens in mind. If there was a DVS that was, or they created their own, that would make it a lot more attractive IMO.

The screen being in a fixed position isn't great either. Ideally you'd be able to tilt it up towards you at the very least.

Oh yeah, the initial price is supposed to be $2,500.

Creating a DVS for a limited-ish mixer would cost an absolute fortune. Also, would many traktor/serato users trust a brand new DVS??

Running your visuals and light show from your mixer are pretty cool features IMO (if you're that way inclined)

• Like 1

It's pretty neat but that's a lot of clams. $1000 I'd probably get one. Did he say it's running Windows? Meh. Reminds me of that all in one massive music work station... cant' remember what it's called anymore. Really neat but really niche and pricey.

Traktor isn't designed with touch screens in mind. If there was a DVS that was, or they created their own, that would make it a lot more attractive IMO.The screen being in a fixed position isn't great either. Ideally you'd be able to tilt it up towards you at the very least.Oh yeah, the initial price is supposed to be $2,500.

Its hilarious because this prototype was built by Jesse Dean, who was showing a controller that is basically this, plugs in to a PT01 and iPad (DJPP tpuch screen heaven, best DVS i own, as good if not better than Traktor and Serato for me) andits being released March for like £130 lol

Thud have the Intel sponsorship, if this was jesse Dean alone, it could be on the market in a couple months, for low low cost, just add iPad.

Guest Symatic

I dont see why one would want to control lights or visuals from that mixer

i tihnk that's actually the main selling point. if you were to try and do some sort of live version of something like Wave Twisters, and have the visuals properly synced up and even conrolled by the DJ rather than either using stage craft to make it LOOK like it was all controlled by the DJ, or using insanely complex AV setups, this could in theory do all of that and all you need is the mixer.

For reference, video mixers used to cost tousands of pounds at least, maybe 10's of thousands. then with a serato you could control live visuals for the cost of a rane 57 and a laptop. so this looks more like a step down that AV road than a straightup innovation for skratch DJ's.

AV skratching could be really dope, and people like woody and cheeba really boss it, but to get into it you need a lot of cash....

• Like 2

That's even more niche than I thought. So basically it's something Q designed for himself but most people will underutilize or have no real use for it.

If the final version ends up like the OG 3D renders that were doing the rounds 2 years ago then it'll at least be a dope thing to look at. I like the concept of a shallow body with pop up legs to make it easier to travel with.... taking mixers on air planes is a hateful experience.

But yeah as others have mentioned, using a desktop GUI in a touch environment will be painful. Fuck jabbing at settings within Traktor preferences window with sausage fingers.

The cost is ultimately down to it being a hand made boutique unit, parts are gonna be off the shelf components, there only doing a small run so the discount on materials will be negligible. The profit margins on this won't be big compared to mainstream consumer mixers. Still cynical then search round the internet for prices on made to order midi controllers, computers and enclosures with high end finishes etc...

For me the best thing that could come of this is simply highlighting the appetite for a DVS capable standalone scratch mixer, we need a big manufacturer with DEEP pockets to make a decent consumer version.

Denon and Pioneer are half way there with there all in one standalone controllers, but those units were made in light of a fucking HUGE mobile dj market, in comparison the scratch mixer market is all but pointless for them to bother with and we all know those dics will do something annoying to make what could be a great piece of dj gear not as good as it could be.

In other news Traktor dj 2 app is out soon, its gonna be a cross platform iOS, OSX, Windows etc... program, so it'll be the same app that runs on both your iPad and laptop with GUI layouts for either workflows.

There's no word on DVS capability yet but if thats added and future Traktor mixers can support both iPad and laptop DVS then it could be a really good flexible alternative to having mixers with built in computers to run DVS that are always gonna be expensive AF.

For me the best thing that could come of this is simply highlighting the appetite for a DVS capable standalone scratch mixer, we need a big manufacturer with DEEP pockets to make a decent consumer version.

is there really a demand for a DVS standalone scratch mixer? I'll admit, i've been in a bubble for the past 10 years between raising kids and attempting to be a responsible adult. but i dont recall hearing about the all these scratch dj's that stay on tour and give great shows with visuals and lighting. but now for that consumer version...... these companies need to realize that we need a middle ground. its either entry level or full blown. i just went thru this a few months ago when i bought my z2. i needed a new mixer and a new DVS. lets take pioneer. the 250 and the s3 is a basic battle mixer with a dvs sound card built in. $350 for 250 and $500 for the s3. identical mixers only difference is one is rekordbox the other is serato. but i did want some midi pads for cue points. the only other option was the s9 for $1700. wheres the middle ground? yeah, the invader is an awesome concept. but, i doubt it gets passed the boutique status.

"is there really a demand for a DVS standalone scratch mixer?"

The social media storm that invader whipped up does go some way to indicate that people would like such a thing and personally speaking I'd def prefer to leave my £1800+ laptop at home when jus doing a dj set.

​The mostly positive online response the invader got does intrigue me.... reality is its jus a midi controller with a half decent desktop computer - why the excitement etc... But features wise it kinda shows the digital based tablists jus want the raw basics, cue points, faders and a handful of utility controls.

"lets take pioneer. the 250 and the s3 is a basic battle mixer with a dvs sound card built in. $350 for 250 and $500 for the s3."

Thats jus Pioneer taking a hit on there usual pricing trying to lure new customers into there Recordbox eco system that works across all there hardware VS the Serato version that has an added license fee as part of cost which is how Serato make money as a software only company.

"
these companies need to realize that we need a middle ground."

This is where NI do well with all there technology wether its software, hardware, production, dj etc... while you don't have to look far to pick holes in there hardware, the tech they make can still be used in a pro environment. NI company ethos is pretty much this, affordable/accessible tech that still has pro applications.

Digital tech ultimately has a shelf life of what ever OS/computer your using, which is another reason why I like NI's approach vs spending 2g on a digital mixer thats unlikely to be supported for longer than 7 years. Obviously its a different story for those who either earn a living from dj'n or shit money for fun.

Back to the Invader thing.... in reality we're probably a few more years away from decent consumer model to become feasible.... but that said, Rasteri has more than proved that mini computers are more than powerful enough to do the job and to be produced at a fair price. So ultimately it goes back to the door of big manufacturers who seemingly don't have a fucking clue what we want or how to do it :(

• Like 1

i tihnk that's actually the main selling point. if you were to try and do some sort of live version of something like Wave Twisters, and have the visuals properly synced up and even conrolled by the DJ rather than either using stage craft to make it LOOK like it was all controlled by the DJ, or using insanely complex AV setups, this could in theory do all of that and all you need is the mixer.

For reference, video mixers used to cost tousands of pounds at least, maybe 10's of thousands. then with a serato you could control live visuals for the cost of a rane 57 and a laptop. so this looks more like a step down that AV road than a straightup innovation for skratch DJ's.

AV skratching could be really dope, and people like woody and cheeba really boss it, but to get into it you need a lot of cash....

I agree with you Symatic and i get that, i've seen Dj Irie perform a few times and it's great, for the others you mention i don't know, never saw them live but i believe so

I used to be really enthiousiastic about video scratching but at some point i drew the conclusion for myself, that videoscratching seems not to go further than putting together funny phrases and images and mix and scratch those.

In terms of audio this works great i think but in terms of visuals it doesn't work from my perspective, it loses context somehow

Don't get me wrong as it might look as i'm saying all videoscratching is bad or so, just in ethics of creating visuals which should be interesting to watch in a longer timespan, i think videoscratching is really a naive tool.

I rather see someone focussing on the audio and a separate person doing dedicated visuals, that's why i don't see the purpose of the features added to te mixer, but sure...i'd like to be proven all wrong, i'm curious how a wavetwister live version would look like :-P

Now discussing this...i'm questioning myself about how visuals should look like than haha

Thing is, and i dont claim myself an expert, in the mid 90's i worked with a guy in a 'multimedia project' as it was called back than, i dreamed about videoscratching

At that time i was part of the project as a scratcher.

Computers were really slow than, one could only play pre-arranged sequences from various sources and sync that up with the audio.

The closest we got to videoscratching(or live manipulating video) in '97 was, that we could play video from 2 separate computers which you would start separetly , we sync those while using headphones as the files had a clicktrack on either left or right side, with the cursor you could speed it up or slow it down to have'm synced

The rest of manipulation came from the effects from MX-50 videomixer, actually the effects to me is not manipulation...costed a fortune than, now you get 'm for free i think)))

Edited by cutdisco

To me the whole VJ thing with the Invader is something they can say to help justify the fact its got a desktop computer inside it. A device like the Invader needs its own build, made for the job computer like what a CDJ has built into it, but that kinda of R&D is the realm of multi multi million dollar company, not this Thud Jesse Dean Rumble partnership.

That said, the Invader will be a great for VJ stuff, jus add a portable HDMI screen and your good to go. But in reality its the last in line feature thats caused the hyperbole surrounding this mixer.

@cutdisco - def worth giving a search of some of Dj Cheeba's solid steel hour long VJ sets, there fucking amazing, he's built a really successful career touring UK and EU out of it.

I love the whole concept of hip hop VJ mixing, but its whole different art form to get into, the guys who do it at a high level go deep into making there own edits for every track they play..... Takes me long enough to make a mix Im happy to put out let alone doing the whole video thing on top :blink: