Sine waves and the Fourier Series

Moschops

Fourier's theorem is one of the most useful facts in many branches of physics and engineering.

This video shows how all complex waveforms (sawtooth/triangle/square/cranial) can be constructed from the simple addition of sine waves (a graphical reprasentation of circular motion).

Doing a bit of digging on the subject I discovered reference to a famous paper by J.W. Cooley and J.W. Tukey from 1965. Their work utilised Fourier analysis and led to a radical increase in computing speed by exploiting the binary notation inherent to computers and the symmetry of sine waves. This leap in computing power is what enabled the effective storage and recall of analogue recorded sound via digital bits of information.

Nice one lads!

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

This is great, i dun this at mind school, too, but just dicking with the basics. I love that graphical representation that dude has made up, that makes it so simple to understand for our mind's brain's thoughts.