Phrasing

Evince

Guest Symatic

I find with trying to "loop" certain patterns, it often helps to figure out the first part, but then move to the final note of the pattern, and work towards the middle. that way you always know where you need to "land" and the pattern comes together a bit better.

as a separate thing - I think in the skratch world we are all using the word "phrasing" completely wrong and it's causing confusion which will only get worse over time.

there is already a very valid but often misunderstood musical term called "phrasing" and it relates to all musical notes and instruments, not just vocals.

what we're talking about with this video is scratching with vocal samples. maybe you could call it "vocal cuts", "vocal scratching", "voice samples".... i dunno. but "phrasing" is already a thing, and i think it doesnt make much sense for us to use that word becasue if you then have to work with other musicians you'll be talking two different languages!

some info on Phrasing:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Musical_phrasing

All of these skratch patterns could be done with any sample, so to call them "phrasing" when we mean "vocal cuts" doesn't make any sense - or else what would you call that pattern if you used a guitar sample that followed the same pattern as the guy saying "comin' ruff"....

internet disclaimer - i'm not calling anyone out here, it's just something that's confused me for a long time, and the term "phrasing" is clearly massively misunderstood in other musical circles as well so we shouldn't feel stupid - it's an obvious word to use for scratching vocals, it just doesnt make sense if you think about it!

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

I think once he speeds up, he adds in some more clicks to fit the new pattern. Earlier he is doing more of a swing pattern so he has to make everything fit in 3s but over a faster straight pattern it would be fitting it all into groups of 4 slightly shorter sounds