Beat Geek

d00ban

Guest Symatic

great vid man. the edits a dope, the camerawork is dope, you captured great reactions and stuff too. not home video at all man! if i was to get really picky i'd say the music was mixed a tiny bit loud... but im really splitting hairs there.

i guess the next step would be capturing some interviews, or even just general conversations going on to get another layer, but visually this says a lot already

• Like 1

Yo Doob, my 2 penneth - my focus is all on the edit rather than the photography/camerawork btw

IMO the pening montage runs too long - either 1)trim it down or 2) add some wording/explanation of the what the event was. It seems like it was just 2 guys head to head? And also it felt like that took up kind of a short amount of time compared to the ambient/event shots.

Don't know if that makes sense?

Want me to get the video editor from work to have a look too? Reckon he'd have some cool advice.

great vid man. the edits a dope, the camerawork is dope, you captured great reactions and stuff too. not home video at all man! if i was to get really picky i'd say the music was mixed a tiny bit loud... but im really splitting hairs there.

i guess the next step would be capturing some interviews, or even just general conversations going on to get another layer, but visually this says a lot already

Cheers man, yeah I always forget to check audio levels in my haste to fucking export the cunt

Yo Doob, my 2 penneth - my focus is all on the edit rather than the photography/camerawork btw

IMO the pening montage runs too long - either 1)trim it down or 2) add some wording/explanation of the what the event was. It seems like it was just 2 guys head to head? And also it felt like that took up kind of a short amount of time compared to the ambient/event shots.

Don't know if that makes sense?

Want me to get the video editor from work to have a look too? Reckon he'd have some cool advice.

Ya true, I guess the montage was to show the whole event and the footage I showed was the final of the battle. Guess I could have made that clearer. I'm not gonna change the edit now, just wanted feedback for future reference innit. Thanks, broski.

Would be interested in what a real video editor would have to say for sure!

No problem - coulda been good to show more of the battle in that case. I suppose the question is what did you want the video to do/what story did you want it to tell?

Did you make yourself a brief or plan it out? Or did you edit on the fly?

Im just micro-picking cos at the moment Im working on a film project at work so Im seeing creatives @ work, and therefore this sort of stuff is at the front of my mind!

PS beer soon

No problem - coulda been good to show more of the battle in that case. I suppose the question is what did you want the video to do/what story did you want it to tell?

Did you make yourself a brief or plan it out? Or did you edit on the fly?

Im just micro-picking cos at the moment Im working on a film project at work so Im seeing creatives @ work, and therefore this sort of stuff is at the front of my mind!

PS beer soon

You not coming to SSS tomorrow then? Plenty of beer there.

Nah I just set out editing. It's more for practice than anything, I enjoy doing the montage bits more as there's more to do and you can make it flow to the music etc. I'm also a little aware that straight cutting gets hard to concentrate on, even when the level is ridiculously high.

Yeah man - so its like whats the audience you want? Are you trying to make it more accessible to the masses rather than a report for the scratchers? Thats a challenge - I think about stuff like that with BJJ, like how do you get non participants interested

The montage looked and sounded great. The levels was too high on the actual battle. It neecs some sort of narration or captions to split the montage from the battle. The montage itself would make a dope preview vid. But yeah, it needs some sort of explaination.

The montage looked and sounded great. The levels was too high on the actual battle. It neecs some sort of narration or captions to split the montage from the battle. The montage itself would make a dope preview vid. But yeah, it needs some sort of explaination.

Cheers bruh, will take that into consideration next time! I guess people like explainers these days :)

Guest Symatic

The guys make good points on the storytelling front - doesnt have to be explainers exactly but theres ways of editing and choosing shots that tell the story in different ways, so if you were editing for the skratch scene you might focus on more techy closup type stuff but you might choose broader shots to convey a sense of the fun atmosphere of the event. I dunno whatthe hell im talkin about tho haha

The shot of chris groove cuttin one handed resting his head on his spare hand was a great one for all those things at the same time.

Cheers bruh, will take that into consideration next time! I guess people like explainers these days :)

Doob, i took another look and listened thru some head phones. The levels actually are pretty decent. the first time i was watching on my tablet and once the actual scratching started it woke up my wife. But anyway, i take it back. since the title does say dj battle, then not having any explanations makes sense. i was just taken off guard when the music stopped and we went straight into cuttin. and I loved the way you ended it with the bars closing in. great job. need more of those.