Wish list (intending to buy, not fantasy island)

Guest petesasqwax

I've been out of the game for a while now. I just put my setup back together and realized that my shits a little dated. Im using m-audio torq for a dvs and that shit dosent run on windows 10. So if my old laptop takes a dump on me, i'm shit outta luck. And i just realized that my stanton sk-2f is like a vintage mixer now. So i've been considering getting a pioneer s3. upgraded mixer and it comes with serato dj. cant afford an s9 and i can use my mpk mini for midi triggers.

If you're not tied into Serato yet and looking at an s3-type mixer, you might want to try the djm250 mk2 - exactly the same mixer and a lot cheaper. Only real difference is it comes with Rekordbox DJ instead of Serato DJ.

yup, that mixer is on the optional list. thats how i ended up getting torq in the first place. I didnt want to pay full price for serato. and that was back in '06. i do hear good things about rekordbox. being that my money got messed up, i'll most likely get the 250.

Guest petesasqwax

So I went to Synthfest in Sheffield on Saturday...

Although the potential was great for it to add to my wishlist, it actually sliced a huge chunk of stuff off it: modular, basically. Don't get me wrong: they're insane noisemaking funboxes, but I can't see how they would do anything other than make me less productive. I'd make a lot more noises - some of which I can't even contemplate, I'm sure - but finished tracks? I don't think so. The only way I can see modular working for me is as an effects box - a filter bank, essentially

I got my filthy mitts on an ARP 2600 whilst I was there and, as I'll never be able to afford one, have decided to look at building a spring reverb unit so that I can benefit from the beautiful sound that running the ARP through its internal spring unit achieves. Spring reverb has leapt to the top of my "to buy" list, but it's more of a "to build" option, really. I'm going to get a pair of matched tanks to run in tandem as a stereo unit... (sorry, just dribbled on my keyboard)

• Like 2

Modular is a complete nonsense, thats why there are so many eurorack modules on ebay, the only value it has is if you want to set up a small unit for resampling through, like the Morpheus or something because it cant be done ITB.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

There's an attraction to modular as the basis for DIY projects, purely because it offers a standard power source which is the main part of circuitry I'm concerned about leaving well alone. Something like the GMSN power strip would allow you to build your own synth (classic style VCO, VCF, VCA approach, for example) whilst not getting lost in the modular rat race or killing yourself fucking around with mains power.

That's how I'll make my filter bank & if I was wanting to build my own proper synth I'd probably do it that way too.

I wondered so many times about modular mixer. Even considering buy some old vestax and build something from parts but in the end to much hassle so little reward... I will love to build a analog smartmixer (multiband parallel compression) but then I come back to common sense and though “you can do that on Ableton”. Now I have again desktop computers I should try to set up somethig...

Guest petesasqwax

I've been looking through the information you passed on about Arduino and MIDI controllers. That's definitely going to be a lot of help! A friend of mine built a standalone groovebox with Reaktor that he has connected to MIDI controllers which seems like a lot of fun

• Like 1

Add some sort of stereo to mono summing box to my list. Thinking about a Rane SM82S, which does this and then some. I'm probably nowhere near as bad as some of you but I always feel like I have some mad scientist shit going on and I start to run into a lot of problems with routing and whatnot. I buy stuff, then I have to buy more stuff to route it properly. Then I've got pedals and switches and compressors and drum machines stacked up all over the place with wires going everywhere.

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

I don't want to derail this thread completely but I just discovered the Pack Rat yesterday and there are some pretty good comics. The guy who draws them also has lots of other weird stuff like laser shooting cats so I guess DV is the right place to share it. https://www.umop.com/

These are superb!

I was gonna get an AKG BBB DFIVE mic but looks like they were discontinued in 2014 so thinking about either a regular D5 or Sure SM58... Looking to sample and loop beatboxing... Have a Audix Fireball but not been a huge fan of it. It's alright.

• 1 month later...

I want:

Another DBX160 X

A mixing board

A stereo to mono summing box

El Capistan

RME

Add some sort of stereo to mono summing box to my list. Thinking about a Rane SM82S, which does this and then some. I'm probably nowhere near as bad as some of you but I always feel like I have some mad scientist shit going on and I start to run into a lot of problems with routing and whatnot. I buy stuff, then I have to buy more stuff to route it properly. Then I've got pedals and switches and compressors and drum machines stacked up all over the place with wires going everywhere.

Got the Rane SM82.

Just copped a second DBX 160x.

While you losers are making music, I'm buying stuff that may or may not marginally improve any music I may choose to make in the future! Suckers!!!!

Next up is El Capistan, which I'll probably get way more use out of than any of the other crap I bought.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I know that I should get why I need a summing box but I don't. Happee made one ages ago and it looked dope and all but I didn't have the heart to say "but what the fuck is it for?" If I need stereo shit in mono I either use converter cables and my Bastl Dude. I more regular need things to go the opposite way so I have an array of odd stereo pedals to do the lifting work

I know that I should get why I need a summing box but I don't. Happee made one ages ago and it looked dope and all but I didn't have the heart to say "but what the fuck is it for?" If I need stereo shit in mono I either use converter cables and my Bastl Dude. I more regular need things to go the opposite way so I have an array of odd stereo pedals to do the lifting work

"Need" is a strong word. At most, I'd say its handy in some situations.

It's like this, using a "Y" cable to split a mono signal to identical left/right "stereo" channels is just fine. That's exactly what that cable "Y" is intended to do. Using a "Y" cable to mix a left and right stereo signal to a mono signal is potentially damaging to your gear, although I've done it and never blown up my shit. It also supposedly degrades the signal.

Here's an article on the subject from when Rane used to be legit

https://www.rane.com/note109.html

The main reason I end up wanting to sum stereo to mono is usually for mono-effects processors. I'm often using a stereo record as a source and properly summing it to mono means I can avoid having choose the left or right signal and loose whatever sound is on the unused channel. Not all that important in the grand scheme of things.

I really just needed a mixer for all the peripheral crap I've accumulated and the SM82 just happened to do stereo summing and have the nice, tweakable effects loops. It's nice to be able to just hook all your shit up, the mixer spits out a stereo signal at the end of the day, and you don't have to deal with "Y" cables and whatnot to get you there.

Guest petesasqwax

Ah, OK - that makes sense. I've got a mixing desk that obviously accepts mono instrument level and outputs stereo so I'm covered (although my Bastl Dude is also such a useful little tool as that accepts and amplified 5 mono inputs and outputs them as a unified signal). That SM82 looks dope though!

• Like 1