Need Mixer/Serato Advice

Max

I haven't had any gear in a while but I came across some tables for sale at a price I couldn't refuse, so I bought them today. Now I need a mixer. Even back when I was actively dj'ing I never really got into using what was then SSL. I see now there's a bunch of new software and hardware around, and since I never used Serato back when I don't really know what I'm looking at now.

I've gathered that I'll probably want either:

Any mixer + USB interface + Serato DJ Pro + Control vinyl

or

Rane 61/62 + Control Vinyl + (Maybe a copy of Serato DJ Pro if the software license won't transfer when buying the mixer second-hand).

Is that about right?

Price wise I figure option 1 is $350 for a Rane 57SL + $200-$300 for something like a used Denon DS1 or a Rane interface and some control vinyl. OTOH, Option 2 is around $600 for a Rane 61, provided I can find one with a transferable DJ Pro license.

Am I missing any good options?

The 57 has a Serato box built in. Note the old (cheap) 57 only works with Serato SSL and not Serato DJ. The new 57 works with Serato DJ, but a second hand 62 would be better value IMO.

If you're planning to DJ in clubs/bars/parties etc, an analogue mixer with a standalone Serato interface is a good idea because you can take your laptop and Serato box with you. The Rane 56 has no onboard DVS and is built like a tank. That'd be my choice if you want to go that way.

If you're just going to scratch/DJ etc at home or in the studio, get a mixer with the DVS built it. I'd avoid the 61 though. Get a second hand 62.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

The 61 doesn't work on latest Mac OS apparently.

One option to consider is the Mixars DUO - a new one is cheaper than a used 62 and it seemed pretty solid when I had a (brief) go.

Ideally I want something good but affordable that I can upgrade/extend later on. Maybe I'll just buy a regular old mixer and a reasonably priced audio interface to replace down the road with a Serato box.

Other than the Rane 56 are there good used mixers to consider? Ecler and Rodec have historically been hard to come by in the US. A&H is around but I've never gotten my hands on one. Not a fan of the fader in the Pioneer 707/909 but maybe I could replace it with an Innofader or whatever. Believe it or not I actually miss my old Tascam XS-8... wouldn't mind one of those with an Innofader.

Ideally I want something good but affordable that I can upgrade/extend later on. Maybe I'll just buy a regular old mixer and a reasonably priced audio interface to replace down the road with a Serato box.

I don't understand - what's the "reasonably priced audio interface" for? If you want to play digital audio from your laptop, you need a DVS (Serato, Traktor etc). It can built in to the mixer, or standalone. The DVS box IS your audio interface.

We're talking about two different things. If I just wanna cut a battle record over a beat from my laptop or something then I only need a regular old interface. I don't need the DVS unless I want to manipulate the audio from the laptop. I'm saying maybe I don't feel like investing a bunch of money in a DVS setup just yet. Perhaps I should start with a cheap old mixer like a Rane 56 and a standard issue used USB 2.0 interface-- then if I decide I want to spend on a full DVS setup down the road I'll just replace the interface with a DVS.

I don't understand - what's the "reasonably priced audio interface" for? If you want to play digital audio from your laptop, you need a DVS (Serato, Traktor etc). It can built in to the mixer, or standalone. The DVS box IS your audio interface.

We're talking about two different things. If I just wanna cut a battle record over a beat from my laptop or something then I only need a regular old interface. I don't need the DVS unless I want to manipulate the audio from the laptop. I'm saying maybe I don't feel like investing a bunch of money in a DVS setup just yet. Perhaps I should start with a cheap old mixer like a Rane 56 and a standard issue used USB 2.0 interface-- then if I decide I want to spend on a full DVS setup down the road I'll just replace the interface with a DVS.

Pretty sure Traktor 3 is going to be able to use any interface any way.

• Like 1

The plot thickens...

Where I am now I've just got my tables and a Behringer UMC404HD. I intended to buy an older mixer on the cheap and try it out with Traktor 3 via the Behringer.

But then I found this shop right nearby my office that's AMAZING and has tons of stuff and will haggle. Definitely kid in a candy shop kinda place. Among other things they'll sell me a last gen Rane 57 (not the new-ish colored button one) for $400 and I guess I could use SSL but I'd have to bypass the Behringer interface I just bought. So now options are:

1. Buy the 57, return the Behringer.

2. Buy the 57, keep the Behringer (Try it with Traktor 3?)

3. Try to find a cheaper 57 of any gen elsewhere, shooting for $300 or less.

4. Buy a 56 from this shop for $250

5. Buy a Urei 1601S from this shop for $250 (they have multiples so lemme know if anyone wants one)! I hate the fader though. I guess I could replace it with an Innofader PNP.