Microsoft Rewards (pay for Xbox Live etc. just by using Bing)

Steve

https://rewards.microsoft.com/

Once you've done that, head over to the Bing home page and start doing some searches. Each search gives you 3 points. You can earn up to 90 points a day via desktop searches and 60 via phone. Every day there are usually bonus searches and quizzes that you can access by clicking the little medal icon at the upper-right of Bing's home page.

A quick way to get the searches done is to search for a person, say, Donald Trump. That will earn you 3 points. Scroll down and at the bottom right you'll see a "People also search for" section with some other politicians under it. Click on one and this will open up a new search page and earn you 3 points, but there'll now be a row of politicians at the top. Just tap across them and you'll get 3 points for each. You can also do the same with the news articles at the bottom of Bing's home page.

You can easily get your 90 desktop search points, plus any daily bonus search/quiz points, in a couple of minutes while you're at work.

Points can be cashed in for rewards here: -

https://account.microsoft.com/rewards/redeem/

A year of Xbox Live costs 29,000 points, which you can easily achieve just by doing desktop searches and not even bothering with phone.

You also earn points when you buy stuff from Microsoft's online stores, including buying digital games and content for your PC or Xbox One. At the moment they have a special offer going where you get 100 points per $1 spent on games that are in their "Summer Spotlight" section: -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/collections/Summerspotlight2018.web/XBOX

Poor Bing. Sorry... not gonna happen. Frankly, after you pulled the rug out on the cloud storage I just have no desire to do anything for MS. Xbone I like but that's about it. And after hearing your stories with the Scorpion IDK about that even!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Since I signed up to MS Rewards I have earned enough points to get £537.66 in gift cards; enough to buy an Xbox Series X with £38 left over. I'm surprised more people don't do it given how little effort is required, but when I've mentioned it to friends they either have never heard of it, or they assume it's too much work.

Also, the ABS browser extension is definitely the way to go, so ignore what I said in the first post in this thread. That browser extension will do all the searches for you, including spoofing the mobile ones, and it will answer the quiz questions correctly for you too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, djdiggla said:

uuuuuh that's pretty nuts. I've always just entered the giveaways. Spoiler: ain't won shit. 

Yeah, I used to spend a lot of points on those giveaways and scratchcards. I never won shit, apart from occasionally winning more points.

I don't get how to get the credit for the "learn how to" +10.... I click it but doesn't seem to register. Maybe it's my adblocker?

Also not getting any streak rewards... maybe because not getting the 10 pt credit. 

45 minutes ago, djdiggla said:

Are you waiting to cash in or do you get them as you hit enough points? Asking because IDK if they expire. 

I've got around 80,000 points in the bank, but the rest have been cashed in every now and then, mostly on gift cards and subscriptions.

Points you earn don't expire, but codes you get from redeeming them do, although I think you have a year to use them.

Also, if you buy gift cards, you can spend them on pretty much anything in MS's store, including hardware.

35 minutes ago, djdiggla said:

I don't get how to get the credit for the "learn how to" +10.... I click it but doesn't seem to register. Maybe it's my adblocker?

Also not getting any streak rewards... maybe because not getting the 10 pt credit. 

I dunno about that man. You're in a different region to me, so you'll see different stuff. I think it's just the daily set you have to complete to contribute towards the streak, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd try disabling your adblocker temporarily to see if it's that.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Rather unsurprisingly, MS has massively gimped Rewards.

They have removed the daily Bing search rewards. Some rewards have seen their points reduced from 10 to 1. They are getting rid of the Rewards app on Xbox soon, the monthly rewards have already been removed, they're getting rid of weekly streaks with bonuses, and the number of points you can earn for certain tasks - e.g. earning an achievement in a Game Pass game - have been reduced.

Most annoyingly, they have added a 5 second delay to earning points when doing searches on PC or mobile. For example, you can earn 90 points a day on PC by doing 30 searches; 3 points per search. Now, if you don't wait at least 5 seconds between each search, it doesn't award you any points.

What pisses me off even more is their statement to the media about this: -

Over the last few years, the Microsoft Rewards program has regularly evolved to reflect our growth and expansion. We evaluate every change for consistency and fairness, tuning the methods and frequency through which our members can earn points.

Whether searching with Bing, browsing with Edge, playing on Xbox, or making purchases in the Microsoft store, we know our members take delight in the added incentive the Microsoft Rewards program offers. We aim to grow in ways that continue to provide value to our members, and we eagerly monitor feedback to ensure satisfaction. We appreciate the enthusiasm and loyalty of our Microsoft Rewards members and remain excited for the program’s future.

If they'd said something like "With Rewards expanding to new countries, unfortunately we have had to reduce the total number of points people can earn per day to keep the program sustainable" that would have been understandable, but instead they don't even address it, making out that people love Rewards and that they always respond to feedback. Fuck off.

Just when I thought they couldn't make it any worse: -

93G8HbN.jpg

It would now take over 4 hours to do all of the daily searches so that the points actually count, and that's if you literally sat there and did one every 5 minutes, which nobody is gonna do.

They might as well just scrap it at this point.