The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist - Thoughts?

Dubba Dutchdj

Remember that thread where I asked suggestions for seminal tracks with scratching in....

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=40565&hl=

I was on the hunt as the brass band I play with have come up with the idea of doing a 4 track ep that has something to do with the history of scratch. TBH Im kinda of in two minds about the idea myself, its really dope that they wanna do something like this but personally I'm not overly keen on making music the within a concept/theme.

Any way.... the band bossman has locked on to "The Avalanches - Frontier Pyschiatrist" as a track to cover, which Im not feeling.

What I find interesting is that when you consider my original thread "Seminal tracks with scratching" Frontier Psychiatrist didn't get a mention, its probably the most commercially successful scratch based track of all time and very fitting to the original thread.

But... does the scratch community actually like it??

edit: bah, dam typo in thread title :huh:

Remember that thread where I asked suggestions for seminal tracks with scratching in....

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=40565&hl=

I was on the hunt as the brass band I play with have come up with the idea of doing a 4 track ep that has something to do with the history of scratch. TBH Im kinda of in two minds about the idea myself, its really dope that they wanna do something like this but I've never been keen on the whole concept/theme approach to making music.

Any way.... the band bossman has locked on to "The Avalanches - Frontier Pyschiatrist" as a track to cover, which Im not feeling.

What I find interesting is that when you consider my original thread "Seminal tracks with scratching" Frontier Psychiatrist didn't get a mention, its probably the most commercially successful scratch based track of all time and very fitting to the original thread.

But... does the scratch community actually like it??

edit: bah, dam typo in thread title :huh:

When it came out I was a kid and loved it for the funny video but I feel it's dated a lot - but I guess that's pretty common with music in general!

• Like 1

Only jus heard that "Because Im Me" track for the first time today, live horns of that would sound mad dope :)

When it came out I was a kid and loved it for the funny video but I feel it's dated a lot - but I guess that's pretty common with music in general!

I remember liking it when it came out to but I think that was mostly because I was chuffed to hear scratching on day time radio 1, Ive never had a copy of it.

Be interested to see what others say but Im getting the vibe that its mostly non scratch peeps who like it.

The big brass chorus is whats drawing the dB bossman towards doing the cover, which I wouldn't mind hearing live but there's nothing else about the track I'm interested in reinterpreting.

I always liked Frontier Psychiatrist...but Im always a sucker for cornball stuff with beats and scratches (Kid Koala anyone?), you're right tho that track was HUGE back then...who did the cuts on that?..I don't think any of their other tracks even had scratching. Should also mention I'm loving the fact you work with a brass band now, I grew up in Louisiana so that shit is near and dear ..since we are throwing out suggestions for covers now..

• Like 2

Got to give love to anything that's scratch related but I had honestly not thought about that song since it came out. Seems like more of a mainstream thing that had scratching in it than something rooted in the scratch community. Who cares though. If you and the band are feeling it then have at it. Sounds like you're not into it though.

Also, if the concept is "history of scratch" I don't think that track fits that well. I'm sure you could ask your favorite dj what his top 10 tracks in scratch history are and that wouldn't come anywhere close. Probably not even in the top 100.

If the bossman is a horn player, I doubt he would want to cover some mainstream track with weak ass horns. You know your stuff, he doesn't know your stuff.

You should voice your concerns, if you haven't already. If your heart's not into the track, chances are it'll slightly suffer. Maybe find an excellent compromise track where all parties are stoked.

i'm tripping you all have even heard of them. That record was, and still is pretty big in OZ. Just a heads up their latest tour was pretty live oriented, so they may have sort of done it already. Not sure i saw the gig but can't remember if they did that track...

• Like 2

i'm tripping you all have even heard of them.

The 'Since I Left You' album was pretty massive over here in the UK when it first dropped.

I think Frontier Psychiatrist is a dope tune personally...not sure about a cover version of it though tbh.

"Some birds are funny when they talk"....

I can totally see why you wouldn't want to do it (personally I'd be going for Holy Calamity) but you might just have to suck it up, unless you can come up with a convincing alternative.

Most people know Frontier Psychiatrist better than the other suggestions we made in the previous thread, which can only be seen as a bonus to the band. It is funny how that track didn't occur to any of us though.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

frontier psychiatrist does fit the bill for DAt Brass from where i'm standing. yeah its a commercial tune and not on any skratch nerds lists, but that album was MASSIVE and the tunes instantly recognizable.

good luck finding all the samples hahah.

that whole era of kid koala and cut chemist and dextar style turntablism does seem dated, but thats no reason not to do it as it would go down well i think. I guess you gotta think whether its worth being an artist or a professional in this case. the professinal would do it cos it fits the bill, the artist would say "fuck this its not what im about". but i think it actually fits in this case. Super Sharp Shooter was such a big tune it crossed that same barrier where it entered mainstream consciousness, and no one thinks THAT's a cheesy cover cos you guys smash it.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I liked it and think it would be a good dat brass tune but wouldn't cover it personally, so basically everything everyone else said and this post was pointless.

• Like 1

i'm tripping you all have even heard of them. That record was, and still is pretty big in OZ. Just a heads up their latest tour was pretty live oriented, so they may have sort of done it already. Not sure i saw the gig but can't remember if they did that track...

it was all over UK MTV way back when, same in USA/Canada i think?

Aye, the album made the top 10 of the regular pop charts here.

Does anyone know the differences between the original Australian release and the international ones? I know they had to change some samples, but I don't know what tracks were affected. I've only heard the international release.

I'm not immediately excited by a cover of Frontier Psychiatrist TBH. I can't even remember the bit with Brass... I'm hearing strings in my head right now. Perhaps if dB live version is deliberately quite different, that might work better?

I'm definitely with Joe and anyone else suggesting Holy Calamity - Paul on the Quest bits and the lads on those big Kashmere Stage Band Brass drops... what's not to like?!

Much love DV :wub:

Thanks for all the response dudes, loads of great points for me to mull over.

@SnotGrass - thanks for sharing that mini doc, its dope!

@JoeClockwork & Rockwell - the scratch track based project with the band is 4 tracks in total, Holy Calamity (bear witness 2) is 100% getting the cover treatment :)