Digital Scratch Samples

Deft

Where can I buy a high quality .wav of decent scratch samples? Not really interested in beats for juggling, though a few beats to cut to is ok I suppose. I went off and impatiently bought All-Star Dirtstyle Battle Rebels and it's pretty shit sample-wise. I've got loads of battle records but no real turntable setup to rip them :rolleyes:

I'd take a Hee-Haw Brayks but it doesn't seem to exist in digital form officially.

Guest Symatic

We put the Cut & Paste stuff up digitally at our bandcamp:

https://cutandpasterecords.bandcamp.com

And jad has all types of samples and tools specifically designed with digital turntablists in mind:

https://lejad.bandcamp.com

Theres a bunch out there.... Rogue did a all UK samples skratch record a while back which is dope

https://scratchproaudio.bandcamp.com/album/best-of-british-breaks

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

All of them be boss, D-Money, it's hard to make a bad choice. Zarecord 1 has beats on side 2 and Za 2 has a couple of beats on side 2. improvise wisely has loads of instrument samples which you might not want if you are lookin for regular scratch samples and Simah's has also got instrument samples as well as trad samples on side one and beats on side 2. All rest of the records are just scratch samples.

Also, can you gently punch your nuts for having the records and not playing them?.

• Like 1

Deft - ThudRumble sell a lot of the Dirtstyle records as wavs

https://www.thudrumble.com/collections/digital-downloads

Maybe they've improved things since, but about 5 or 6 years ago I bought a bunch of their "wavs" and it was painfully obvious that they were actually pretty low res MP3s that had just been converted to .wav format.

• Like 1

Maybe they've improved things since, but about 5 or 6 years ago I bought a bunch of their "wavs" and it was painfully obvious that they were actually pretty low res MP3s that had just been converted to .wav format.

Good old ThudRumble conning money from their fellow turntablists ?

Unthinkable !

• Like 1

That's what the reissue vinyl of all their classic records sound like. I spent £40 on them without knowing this and was not happy!

• Like 2

Nah, I paid for them right out of the Thud store... can't even remember which ones I had, but they definitely sounded much worse than recording the knackered records I had of the same stuff. Let's all thank the baby jesus that C&P Records saved us all and we don't have to choose between 96kbps 'clean sounds' and cue burnt homemade wavs any more!

• Like 2

Guest broke

Really? Yogafraud strikes again? I bought one or two and didn't notice they were that bad.

I actually "collected" scratch vinyl back in the day because of this. I figured at some point all these battle records would disappear and it would be hard to find unthrashed copies. Somewhere around 2000-2001 I found a place in Australia that had original presses of a lot of the Dirtstyle catalog and I scooped a lot of titles. I got others on eBay. I don't have everything by a long shot but I did find original presses of most of the important ones. In all honesty, a lot of them weren't recorded all that well in the first place. If you listen closely you'll hear hum and other things but the early presses are usually nice and loud.

The one that always eluded me was that I heard that a small number of Hot Horny & Barely Legal Breaks was put out on Dirtstyle right before Dave jumped ship. I've never even been able to confirm it was true.

• Like 2

Same here,i've got a shitload of original pressing Dirstyle records,mostly all doubles too.

Admittedly some are a little bit thrashed but there's also a copy of each one that is more or less perfect.

Perhaps I should sell or trade the ones in nice condition although I've never bothered to look and see if they're even worth anything to be honest.

Guest Symatic

If you listen closely you'll hear hum and other things but the early presses are usually nice and loud.

This is a plus point for the dirtstyle stuff... hee haw being a good example. the sound had really nice gritty characteristics thats perfect for scratching and was indeed nice and loud. I'm trying to figure out what the best thing to do is to get a nice characteristic like this... I'm gonna have to try throwing everything througfh a classic sampler maybe. through trial and error I'm gradually honing some sort of best practices but there are so many variables.

Moschops' new record is sounding really nice though, it's got that grittyness without just being distorted, and its well loud which is always a bonus.

Theres also the whole thing of doing ultrapitch which goes against so many rules of audio quality control that it probably makes all cutting engineers roll their eyes...

• Like 1

I agree, it's definitely the old kit that gives it those characteristics. Maybe someone needs to have a word with Dave to see how he did it - Gag Ball, Black Market Snuff, Bitch Slapped, etc all sounded and felt marvellous. Even the Funk Shit Up represses.

The feel of the physical vinyl is also really important. It definitely went south when Thud Rumble started putting out those represses. They sound awful and weigh a ton; not nice for scratching with.

I might poast a file of me cutting with one of them, so you can hear what I mean.

If you listen closely you'll hear hum and other things but the early presses are usually nice and loud.

This is a plus point for the dirtstyle stuff... hee haw being a good example. the sound had really nice gritty characteristics thats perfect for scratching and was indeed nice and loud. I'm trying to figure out what the best thing to do is to get a nice characteristic like this... I'm gonna have to try throwing everything througfh a classic sampler maybe. through trial and error I'm gradually honing some sort of best practices but there are so many variables.

Moschops' new record is sounding really nice though, it's got that grittyness without just being distorted, and its well loud which is always a bonus.

Theres also the whole thing of doing ultrapitch which goes against so many rules of audio quality control that it probably makes all cutting engineers roll their eyes...

If you watch the old Turntable TVs you'll see Q's setup and he's running beats and whatnot through it. I think those clips are in the first or second Turntable TV. I think D was using an Esoniq EPS or ASR-10.

But yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if it just the compression of those older samplers.

Same here,i've got a shitload of original pressing Dirstyle records,mostly all doubles too.

Admittedly some are a little bit thrashed but there's also a copy of each one that is more or less perfect.

Perhaps I should sell or trade the ones in nice condition although I've never bothered to look and see if they're even worth anything to be honest.

I doubt they're worth much but I can tell you some of them are rare as hell. Some of the early presses have different sounds in parts. My first press of Needle Thrasherz Vol 1 has a full color label. It's also hard to sort out the real first presses in a lot of cases other than word of mouth so I'm not 100% positive. It usually has to do with the label colors. I bet Yoga could break it all down.

Guest Symatic

The feel of the physical vinyl is also really important. It definitely went south when Thud Rumble started putting out those represses. They sound awful and weigh a ton; not nice for scratching with.

yeah i think (but im not sure) that the ealier stuff was with a American press called Rainbow which is renowned for quality, and the trademark dirtstyle stuff ahd those nice records with rounded edges and nice weight/feel....

now I think they use GZ in Czech, which is one of the biggest pressing plants in the world, as well as one of the cheapest. Most brokers who offer record pressing services via a 3rd party plant would probably press here it seems. I dont think the're bad but its not the nice vinyl you got from rainbow back in the day

• Like 2