Seminal tracks with scratching in to make a brass band cover version?

Dubba Dutchdj

The brass band Im in wanna do 4 covers of seminal music that had scratching in.

While theres loads of obvious nerdy turntablist stuff to choose from I feel staying closer to more known/semi main stream would be better, considering the bands audience.

So obviously theres Rockit (ffs)
Im feeling the idea of doing bear witness Pt2

What other tracks do you recon we should consider??

Yes Chriss, nailed it!/why the feck didnt I think of them?!

Could you use some phrases from the verses/hooks of massive tracks, do something like whats the difference by Dre and scratch the hook yourself?

^^ Thats basically how Ive shoe horned myself into the existing covers when I first hooked up with the band.

Our remit for these 4 tracks is to try implement more routine to band cross over vibe, like our cover of sharp shooter, routine - then band join in etc...

Guest Symatic

summertime? jazzy jeff/fresh prince..... wewweweweweww drums please! then a nice horny version of summertime.... either you do the high-pitched synth on turntable or even better someone manages to squeek it out on a trumpet....

whats the difference is a nice suggestion.... another horns/scratching one is Holy Calamity.... maybe too nerdy.

Summer is good shout in general, the most well known rap lyrics of all time?

And yeah holy calamity/bear witness pt2 brass band cover has to happen, think I can replicate most of the cuts on that track. The thought a live/played horns and drum break version is pretty sploodge worthy

Guest Symatic

Summer is good shout in general, the most well known rap lyrics of all time?

And yeah holy calamity/bear witness pt2 brass band cover has to happen, think I replicate most of the cuts on that track. The thought a live/played horns and drum break version is pretty sploodge worthy

i got some of the samples if you need em....

• Like 1

they have to have cuts on, or can you just do some anyway? Might have to cringe your way through it but touch the sky kanye west could work...Wu "Shame on a n****"....Jay Z encore, PE "harder than you think".... prob all done to death tho...

• Like 1

Some Public Enemy would be pretty awesome I reckon.

'By The Time I Get To Arizona' could sound dope and fresh as fuck with the horns from the brass band replicating the original arrangements of the Mandrill track and Dubba cutting it up like an absolute boss on top.

I say go for it dude !

white people doing tunes with "nigga" in the title is never gonna be the one hahaha

You just wouldn't let me palm this off on Dubba, huh? The original song might be pretty nice for a brass band though.

Maybe "Hey, tuck the liquor" would be more family-friendly but where should you find that sample...? :(

Guest Symatic

white people doing tunes with "nigga" in the title is never gonna be the one hahaha

You just wouldn't let me palm this off on Dubba, huh? The original song might be pretty nice for a brass band though.

haha sorry i didnt realise it was a set-up :) but yeah sometimes peeps think theres a grey-area, something along the lines of "it's ok in hip-hop" or some other fucked-up "post racial society" shit.... but it's just not reality.

That word appears on one of the Grass Hopper breaks, I can't even scratch a sample of it without feeling like - A: a wally and B: a cunt

Loving all the suggestions beys, bigups!

@danswift - its not a cover but we do a song called - straight outta brompton :)

@Joe - loving that live version of Kashmere!

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Thinking in term of brass stuff for them to do what about halftime by nas or maybe ante up by mop, ante ups all hype too not that i love it that much. Code of the streets might be good with the strings done as brass.

I'll keep thinking

• Like 1

haha sorry i didnt realise it was a set-up :) but yeah sometimes peeps think theres a grey-area, something along the lines of "it's ok in hip-hop" or some other fucked-up "post racial society" shit.... but it's just not reality.

Nah, it wasn't a set-up really - that was just in response to your post. ;) I'm sure, it would not the smartest move to use the original cuts. I just included the song because Red Clay lends itself to a being played by a brass ensemble, has some nice double time parts and because lead sheets of the chords and melody can be easily found. So the suggestion was based mostly on the beat and not to get anyone in trouble. :d But yeah, it's probably not what Dubba asked for ( "seminal music that had scratching in")

• Like 1