3d printed enclosure for handykutz and iphone

Ok, so I been hauling the denon 5500 and the handykutz around in the car,scratching during the day and stuff, whenever I had a few minutes, but it wasn't really portable.

so...., I tried this....

https://ibb.co/d7NGun

I did it, thinking it would be dumb, but it's kinda nice, so now I want a custom enclosure.

anyone know a good (and hopefully inexpensive) 3d printing place?

for the deck, I use babyscratch. i tried cross, edjing, djay, and edjing scratch...they all stink for this, but babyscratch is very accurate and works well.

https://ibb.co/hcBXZn

Edited by Efhutton
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know how easy it is to to find a place to 3d print larger enclosures but you could use a mixture of a printed frame / mounts and then use either cut sheets of plywood, metal or laser cut plastic for the box type parts. I have a printer and I am still crap at actually creating what I wanted. Sometimes wood is a lot easier. Also I am not sure what you mean by the app or how it's used in this setup. Have you tried the Mixfader app? Is it touch screen scratching with the phone output cut by the fader?

Guest rasteri

Yeah 3d printing is almost always the worst option for enclosure manufacture. Unless you spend a LOT of money (like, several hundred) quality will be terrible.

Customizing an existing ABS enclosure might get you halfway there?

• Like 1

I don't know how easy it is to to find a place to 3d print larger enclosures but you could use a mixture of a printed frame / mounts and then use either cut sheets of plywood, metal or laser cut plastic for the box type parts. I have a printer and I am still crap at actually creating what I wanted. Sometimes wood is a lot easier. Also I am not sure what you mean by the app or how it's used in this setup. Have you tried the Mixfader app? Is it touch screen scratching with the phone output cut by the fader?

yep, one phone plays the beat, the other is the scratch deck

• Like 1

Yeah 3d printing is almost always the worst option for enclosure manufacture. Unless you spend a LOT of money (like, several hundred) quality will be terrible.

Customizing an existing ABS enclosure might get you halfway there?

yea, i've been modding electric project boxes forever, wanted to do a nice 3d one, for once

cost was going to be $260, all totaled.

so i just decided to change approaches and attach the two phones to the epsilon innomix, and have that be my mobile scratch solution.

Have you tried the Mixfader app? I used to play with touch screen scratching before getting a deck and then the portablism addiction later. I used to use it with the stokyo kutter as the control was amazing. There's other apps that allow one device to split the output to the mixer and then Scratch with each deck. I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know but I did a lot of touch screen portable scratching before vinyl came in to the setup so I can try share any information that isn't really mentioned much if you want or need anything. I spent a lot of time with editing VDJ skins for use with touch screen windows tablets and netbooks but the whole DVS thing killed most interest in the actual use of the device to scratch.

Anyway I hope this makes sense lol but if not good luck with the enclosure. I have seen some DJ stands for phones and tablets that mount to mixers that can be used for the frame maybe.

Have you tried the Mixfader app? I used to play with touch screen scratching before getting a deck and then the portablism addiction later. I used to use it with the stokyo kutter as the control was amazing. There's other apps that allow one device to split the output to the mixer and then Scratch with each deck. I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know but I did a lot of touch screen portable scratching before vinyl came in to the setup so I can try share any information that isn't really mentioned much if you want or need anything. I spent a lot of time with editing VDJ skins for use with touch screen windows tablets and netbooks but the whole DVS thing killed most interest in the actual use of the device to scratch.

Anyway I hope this makes sense lol but if not good luck with the enclosure. I have seen some DJ stands for phones and tablets that mount to mixers that can be used for the frame maybe.

the mixfader app is great (my favorite) as a dvs app.

it's not very good for scratching "ON" the phone screen, because you can't rewind very well

it's one of those quirky anomalies that the best on-screen turntable is this small one on the phone screen, again because you can quickly rewind and get back to the front of the sample

right now, i'm really exploring ideas around "full mixer/battery powered with as small as feasible platters (which would hopefully become motorized at some point)"

i just don't see the point in bothering with anything that isn't a fully integrated scratch device

-one scratch deck

-one loop deck

-cues for each

-crossfader

-channel faders

-3 band eq for each channel

-speaker

-all battery powered

-roughly the size of a 17" laptop

BUT....

I'm also tinkering with a hs5500, on battery, with a mixer inside, and eq knobs down each side. this is better(as a scratcher), but it's bigger and heavier, and i just don't know if I would actually lug it around

• Like 1

the mixfader app is great (my favorite) as a dvs app.

it's not very good for scratching "ON" the phone screen, because you can't rewind very well

it's one of those quirky anomalies that the best on-screen turntable is this small one on the phone screen, again because you can quickly rewind and get back to the front of the sample

right now, i'm really exploring ideas around "full mixer/battery powered with as small as feasible platters (which would hopefully become motorized at some point)"

i just don't see the point in bothering with anything that isn't a fully integrated scratch device

-one scratch deck

-one loop deck

-cues for each

-crossfader

-channel faders

-3 band eq for each channel

-speaker

-all battery powered

-roughly the size of a 17" laptop

BUT....

I'm also tinkering with a hs5500, on battery, with a mixer inside, and eq knobs down each side. this is better(as a scratcher), but it's bigger and heavier, and i just don't know if I would actually lug it around

I like your thinking! I wish I could get at least one of the ideas I struggle to get working on paper finished before the next one takes over my mind and I move to the next one thinking that it will be better and I just end up with piles of junk and notes.

If it's any help I had a similar idea to mod the old cheap DJ2GO midi controller into a portable deck. I will probably never get round to finishing it but it was sort of similar to the device you describe (in my head anyway lol). I have a load of cheap and crappy plastic portable turntables and even bigger cabinet style players that I have stripped down to be minimal, light and USB powered. I was asking in another thread about Phase being much different than the optical mouse hacks which are DIY midi jog wheels that can scratch with software through midi signals rather than DVS and there's was a link to some info but anyway I had the DJ2GO mapped to an old windows tablet that I played around with touch screen scratching. I was using the fader to cut VDJ while scratching the screen.

Anyway long story short the plan was to mount the PCB into the plastic player I stripped down so it would be a platter powered by USB with the midi buttons layed out to the side like a sort of dicer thing

The hard bit that I got bored before I got to experiment with was using the jog wheel reader to upscale it to work with the platter of the deck or if it wouldn't work add the optical mouse reader to the mix and then it would hopefully be a midi PT01 type thing with either the raspberry pi running mixxx built-in or just a USB port to connect with another device that would take the midi control...

Anyway I never got far enough to be able to say if the platter reader would work but the rest would be ok with being powered by USB enough to make it spin and run the DJ2GO. I am sure that the easiest way to do it would be built from scratch but I am not that good and I have already got a dismantled DJ2GO to use... Anyway I don't have the best track record of making things that work so I am probably talking out loud about the crazy ideas that haunt me so ignore me if I don't make sense. If you do make something like this I would love to see it so good luck with your project. I think the optical mouse hacks for reading platters is a good place to start for something like this but I could wrong and just wanting someone else to do the mods I need to get round to finishing...

Surely xwax or pideck is the way forward.

Hmm depends... If you don't want DVS then xwax or pideck isn't necessary for midi control. I have run mixxx on the pi and it didn't lag much for the fact it was the full version. I think there's a version that works best for the version of Linux used to run it on the pi but it was a while ago and I suspect that the latest version of the pi or similar device are powerful enough to run the full works I've seen windows 10 running so I guess the future of the pi is not the same as the past I remember.

Surely xwax or pideck is the way forward.

Hmm depends... If you don't want DVS then xwax or pideck isn't necessary for midi control. I have run mixxx on the pi and it didn't lag much for the fact it was the full version. I think there's a version that works best for the version of Linux used to run it on the pi but it was a while ago and I suspect that the latest version of the pi or similar device are powerful enough to run the full works I've seen windows 10 running so I guess the future of the pi is not the same as the past I remember.

If you don’t need DVS go for the iPod 6gen + Djay Pro app + compatible controller of your choice.

Whats to stop someone from just putting a uca 202 in a project box, and glueing an iphone out the outside?

Instant, portable dvs

I'm confused now. Is it just the phone you are interested in scratching with? Or is it just the device you are running a DVS tone through? If so then can't the USB output from a deck connect to the iPhone through the cck USB adapter? With the PT01 USB output direct to the iPhone works perfectly. The output can be cut from the jack with an external fader or mixer. If the device doesn't have USB there's cheap preamp PCBs that you can get or I have one I stripped out of a cheap Chinese vinyl to USB player. If you aren't thinking of using midi then what is the DVS is coming from? Or is coming from something like the Tonetable app that is a touch screen DVS tone generator? If it's the idea of the phone being part of the case I am sure there's a mixer that has either a iPhone or iPad slot built-in. Can't remember the name but it is pretty much the same thing as the device you are describing I think...

Definitely dont want to scratch on phone screen ttables.

What i want doesnt exist.

So i make do.

The first time i built a fader into the 5500, that was close. When i put the battery inside even closer.

The new cue button helps, but most of my favorite tricks are involved manipulating the cue and platter at same time, and device fails, and track keeps playing even though Im holding the platter.