whats a good, affordable production mixer

My gf's son had a small behringer mixer that he used for recording guitar and bass, into ableton, i guess.

said it quit working.

want to get him a new one, he asked for something with balanced inputs.

anyone know a good one that won't cost a lot?

I've got a secondhand Soundcraft Spirit Notepad I bought on eBay secondhand for around £35 which has been very reliable in the years I've had it. Definitely better build and sound than a Behringer one.

I guess it all depends on budget, use and bit of luck... but I'd much rather give my money to Soundcraft or Yamaha or similar than Behringer.

I've got a secondhand Soundcraft Spirit Notepad I bought on eBay secondhand for around £35 which has been very reliable in the years I've had it. Definitely better build and sound than a Behringer one.

I guess it all depends on budget, use and bit of luck... but I'd much rather give my money to Soundcraft or Yamaha or similar than Behringer.

Thankyou

Ill pass on the suggestion and ser what he thinks

(The whole family is music teachers and they all think Im a silly hillbilly, i was shocked when my advice was asked)

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

................................................. behringer mixer.............................................................

............it quit working.

There should be a musicians computer keyboard that has a key that just types these words to save evryone time

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

sounds like maybe he could just use an audio interface rather than a mixer.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-Computer-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA

He has that exact interface

well then i might be missing something :) but it does have jack inputs so i'd guess you can stick a guitar or bass straight in to it and record into ableton.....

sounds like maybe he could just use an audio interface rather than a mixer.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-Computer-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA

He has that exact interface

well then i might be missing something :) but it does have jack inputs so i'd guess you can stick a guitar or bass straight in to it and record into ableton.....

I'm going to check and see what he's specifically trying to do.

Thankyou

Ill pass on the suggestion and ser what he thinks

(The whole family is music teachers and they all think Im a silly hillbilly, i was shocked when my advice was asked)

As I've whined on about so many times before, musicians often have so many skills we wish we had. But often they overlook the skills we do have which could actually greatly improve their own output. For every beatmaker type album I've heard that could be enhanced via greater musical ability, I've heard as many albums by traditional musicians which could be greatly enhanced by hooking up with a half decent producer.

• Like 1

says he needs 4, ideally 5 channels, that's why the interface isn't enough

looking at the

NOVIK NEO MIXER NVK 802FX 8 Channel Ultra-Slim 5 channels with pre-amplifiers of Mic and Phantom Power (+48v) 3 channels Stereo, but maybe it's junk??

Edited by Efhutton

But how far did it really roll down? There's a big difference between an X32 and a hundred quid's worth of budget desktop 4 channel. I agree that Behringer are definitely on the up right now, especially stuff like the analogue synths they've done lately, but I think any improvements to the bottom end isn't really Midas related.

All the newer stuff, if it is an older design it wont have rolled down to it (example, all the audio interfaces are now Midas based) but the fact that some designs are twenty years or so old and still selling well should say something for their old "Crap" stuff too.

The whole "Its Behringer, its crap" thing is just nonsense.

I'd never go so far as to right off a whole brand one some kind of unfounded prejudice. But personally I'd be looking for something cheap and secondhand and I stick by my decision to entertain other brands before them.

In an Internet based world, where the vast majority of people are self proclaimed experts of no particular credentials, all you can do is go off of personal experience.

In my case, the music charity i do work for have been through so much 'affordable' kit over the years and their/our findings have been this - most brands have been pretty similar with quality largely reflecting price and a similar rates of failure and success, with two exceptions... Behringer and Mackie. The Behringer kit has (in our isolated experience) been much less reliable/long lasting than any other brand we've experienced, negating the saving we were supposed to be making. Mackie on the other hand, cost a chunk more and was very much sold (by GAK) as 'you get what you pay for' but we've found it to be another false economy. Each to their own but when the brand in question has let me down in person several times, I'm not exactly gonna recommend it.

I'm still a bit cynical on how much tech from a top flight desk is in a budget interface TBH... I'm willing to be educated, but right now all I can think of is when a local DJ shop told me all Rane mixers are just rebranded Denon ones and that bloke down the pub, back when Proton owned Lotus, who'd claim his Proton was "all Lotus underneath".

Behringer is historically shit, and the reason its still continually sold is because its cheap and its everywhere, and if you go to a dealer saying Ive got 50 quid can I have a full studio theyll just shift it to you. The reason it has a bad reputation is because its historically shit, its not magic. Ive never met anyone with a good thing to say about behringer, everything they have either doesnt work properly, broke, or never worked in the first place. Ive seen tons of schools and community arts places with behringer stuff that was sold to them because it was cheap and it was all fucked and sounded like shit. The company is built on replicated visual designs and knockoffs, and whilst its noble that Uri built a big enough empire to buy out some former titans in firesales its laughable to say that buying an age old xenyx or something is good value. I gave them another chance a couple of years ago and bought a motor keyboard online and it went back immediately because half the keys felt like they had treacle poured in them, the knobs were all over the place, and the motorised faders didnt work properly. Yes theres the Midas stuff, and yes the new analogue stuff is somewhat promising, and to an extent - although I know it was plagued with build to price not user and politics - the cmd range was genuinely ambitious, I think the research has been done. This board never really used to have knowitalls that were so bitchy, it kind of sucks the soul out of things if you have to think oh whats the fucking point Ill have to craft a serious and academically cited reply if I get into it every time you go to post.

• Like 1

Behringer is historically shit, and the reason its still continually sold is because its cheap and its everywhere, and if you go to a dealer saying Ive got 50 quid can I have a full studio theyll just shift it to you. The reason it has a bad reputation is because its historically shit, its not magic. Ive never met anyone with a good thing to say about behringer, everything they have either doesnt work properly, broke, or never worked in the first place. Ive seen tons of schools and community arts places with behringer stuff that was sold to them because it was cheap and it was all fucked and sounded like shit. The company is built on replicated visual designs and knockoffs, and whilst its noble that Uri built a big enough empire to buy out some former titans in firesales its laughable to say that buying an age old xenyx or something is good value. I gave them another chance a couple of years ago and bought a motor keyboard online and it went back immediately because half the keys felt like they had treacle poured in them, the knobs were all over the place, and the motorised faders didnt work properly. Yes theres the Midas stuff, and yes the new analogue stuff is somewhat promising, and to an extent - although I know it was plagued with build to price not user and politics - the cmd range was genuinely ambitious, I think the research has been done. This board never really used to have knowitalls that were so bitchy, it kind of sucks the soul out of things if you have to think oh whats the fucking point Ill have to craft a serious and academically cited reply if I get into it every time you go to post.

If that was pointed at me about knowitalls, same could be said for your pointless rant hahaha