Phase - Needleless DVS

Jon

Wont ever happen, the market is way too small, if it was viable then the standalone units thatPioneer and Denonetc put out would do it, they certainly charge enough.

Im agree but Apple will fuck a bit more the laptops and then ive Pioneer a reason to do it.

Also InMusic had that ns7mk3 mockup with win8 when MpcX was leaked and also stantom had the scs.4d and as all of we know...

Stanton points the future with their crappy attempts

Rane twelve is nothing than a glorified scs.1d, new pioneer standalone controller a glorified scs.4D... so maybe inMusic will release a standalone dashboard!

It seems like with the colour screen the Rane 72 is only a few evolutionary steps away from being a perfect standalone DVS solution.But yeah it also seems like Pioneer have all the IP necessary to do this - add rekordbox DVS capability to an XDJ-RX and you're there.

It should the moment the right embed platform arises. The one inside MpcX is linux based and pronably enough to run something like SSL but not enough to SDJ.

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-x-mpc-live-facts-gossip-rumour-roundup/

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/assets/Live-main-board.jpg

"Stanton points the future with their crappy attempts"

Easy cowboy.....

I spent a lot of sleepless nights working on those crappy attempts.

You wanna keep that to yourself, I have two scs4DJs here and somebodies head needs kicking in everytime i use them haha, the crappy app that scans the files that never works out the correct BPM on anything but 4 to the floor techno, the inability to then properly edit any if that later making it a complete PITA to use, the rather horrific file system and sorting that doesnt support folders if i remember rightly (while since i bothered smashing my face in to broken glass, or indeed used one of those)

The list goes on, including the puss poor build quality, that reminds me, I have an scs4dj to send to you @rasteri when that keyboard is done lol.

Scs4dj was a great idea, but the implementation concentrated too much on crappy features over long term basic principles like file structuure and browsing.

• Like 1

Rane can only do so much, when you can clearly see Serato is the only reason holding them back. I can't really see the Seventy Two reaching it's true potential when you can't even import/export settings from mixer to mixer. Exactly the thing that Rekordbox would be capable of...

Hopefully I am not going too off topic but is Serato going to be featured more or less with the future releases? I saw Serato DJ allowed some older Rane and Pioneer mixers to work with DVS in an update a while ago and then I heard Traktor did something similar but after a long time of nothing... I have asked about the best scratch mixer and I am told it's the Pioneer DJM-S3 I think it is which is very expensive and for Serato DJ, yet the other mixers that are coming out don't seem to be Serato enabled... Is it possible that Serato can be pushed out of the market making the expensive mixers a bad idea for the future? Everything I look up seems to point to Rekordbox being the future DVS? Am I totally wrong and not understanding the licensing of DVS?

Sent an email to MWM support, I wouldn't pre order this if it was £50, the support are absolutely clueless and just reading off a defined list of answers.

I have kost all interest in this right now, absolutely stunned by the cluelessness of their staff !!!

• 5 months later...

No, it can't change everything. We're going on 20 years of these companies putting out "next level game changer?" ads and DJ tech blogs trying to get views on the intrigue. It's beyond played out. Out of the hundreds of times I've heard the term "game changer" thrown around, I can think of maybe one or two instances where the game has actually been changed. These idiots don't understand that music is art and if the technology isn't altering your artistic avenues then it's not going to change the "game." Hype aside, Jeff makes solid points about vibrations and whatnot. If I was playing large venues I'd probably be about it. The truth is, it's a useful tool and an advancement but it's not going to change very much about the actual music or artistry.

• Like 1

What I would say is that if you were hungover, trying to set up an open turntables jam with all the wrong equipment and no help from anyone and the little gimp from Phase is clambering all over you, trying to set up Phase in a scenario where almost nobody is even gonna use DVS and theres nobodys even managed to get any sound the speakers yet, this could change your tolerance game... from quite forgiving to surprisingly grouchy.

I think it is brilliant, other than the fact that it actually adds extra computer interaction, unless you stand there spinning the record like a fuck lump everytime you want to get to a different part of the tune.

It makes no sense that this doesn't come with a secondary cueing touch strip or something, so either mousey clicky more or MIDI controller with wires, yes much much easier.

I still want one though lol.

• Like 1

We're going on 20 years of these companies putting out "next level game changer?" ads and DJ tech blogs trying to get views on the intrigue. It's beyond played out. Out of the hundreds of times I've heard the term "game changer" thrown around, I can think of maybe one or two instances where the game has actually been changed. These idiots don't understand that music is art and if the technology isn't altering your artistic avenues then it's not going to change the "game."

Co-sign. Whenever these guys drop that marketing-gibberish or just quote it, without having a palmares of their own in said craft, then it's just laughable and clickbaitory like these influencers are doing it IMO. Happy I don't work in such an area...

• 3 months later...

had a go on phase at NAMM. It crashed within 30 seconds of me scratch drumming on it. apparently that's rare though...

Thats not good and gutting to hear for my circumstance :(

I had a long thorough play with Phase at both Beat geek and SMF, threw everything I could at them and to me it felt basically the same as normal DVS (with the bonus of perfect signal/no interference - which is all need it do).

I cancelled my pre order back in November as I needed the money, really don't wanna do another summer of praying my DVS signal will survive gigs on wobbly temporary festival stages but after Sy's experience I'm def not buying Phase until its gone threw at least a couple of months of public use.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

But they dont work right ?

Everybody who is not being paid to say how great they are is saying they are actually pretty poor, really need widespread users to have them to get some real facts.

I had a really long play with them at 3 different events last year, over an hour at Sample Music Festival and Beat Geek, plus around 15mins at CS BBQ. Performed really well, didn't notice any sticker drift etc... Scratch wise I really chucked everything I could at em and they were solid. That was 7ish months ago and they've supposed to of had numerous tweaks since then.

But as you say, broader real world public testing is the next stage. There's bound to be the odd issue once fully released but Im sure early bugs will get squished asap.

Once proven stable I'll be all over it, will literally be a game changer for the environments I have to get DVS to work in.

• Like 2

Mine arrived today. If you purposely go in to try to make it drift you can make it drift but it's not noticeable with regular cutting. Response/lag is not noticeable (I'm on a ten year old MacBook). In terms of rumble/response it def genuinely feels like an upgrade over DVS for me.

• Like 4

Dubba, you might want to ask the creators of Phase about letting you 'test' their product given that you play in very adverse conditions. Playing on shifty stages is no joke — you have plenty of videos to back it up, too.

• Like 1