Phase - Needleless DVS

Jon

Guest rasteri

So it drifts like a piece of shit then.

Apparently the prototype that was shown at NAMM did. The success of the thing will really rest on whether or not they've fixed that.

The denons probably drifted because the synthesized tone didn't contain the absolute position information. MWM are clever enough to figure that out, question is whether they can legally generate the bitstream without infringing Serato/NI's copyright. I wonder what Serato/NI's next move will be.

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

Actually, if NI and Serato are smart, they'll license a version of the Phase that can plug straight into a laptop without the need for a soundcard. That would be the ultimate solution in terms of reliability/performance/latency.

• Like 1

I am not going to pre-order this time and I am probably sounding like a hater BUT I pre-ordered from them before and I waited ages for the Prolink to be released. I guess the delay was due to the focus turning to this and basically rushing to try to make the Prolink as cheaply and quickly as possible to get the orders out and move on with this. I forgot about ordering it the wait was so long until a package with a hand made box (even the Mixfader sticker was hand cut at an angle) arrived with a pretty bad and cheap old scart adapter looking plastic thing with cheap cables (the stokyo kutter was cheaper and had better cables and production).

The Mixfader has the best rubber grip and everything about it feels like a quality product even down to the case with extra rubber pads for tablets so to see a peel off double sided tape pad on a rattling case that feels like it's jacks are going to snap off is a bit disappointing. The instructions are printed on a home ink jet printer and don't mention much as to the settings for the fader which seems to be stuck on scratch cut when used with it.

I don't feel like putting the same faith in a product that is a bit more complicated than a few jacks and a Bluetooth connection after the let down from the Prolink hype. I think it was obviously sidetracked for the Phase and that's understandable but it just doesn't seem to be the actions of a company that is making something that is going to change the future of turntable use. At least not at first. Maybe version 2 will be worth it after any errors are ironed out. Anyway I don't hate the Prolink and it's useful but it is definitely not the intended quality that is usually found with their products which is something that makes me think about the way this could go if deadlines are not met again. The price isn't the same as the Prolink either so I think this is something I would want to see more of first. Anyway rant over but I don't think many people have said much about the Prolink pre-order problems...

Considering you really need an NI or Serato system to use this anyway, which means it doesnt cut in to their sales, i suspect tgey will just quietly let this develop on, all it does is replace their vinyl, which you get with a purchase anyway.

Interesting reports from PortableModManiac.... I did pre order the mixfader which ran well past there estimated release date but felt they did a good job of staying transparent and keeping us updated on reasons for the hold up. And like you say the Mixefader turned out to be a quality product, which gave me confidence in regards to Phase.

But after reading your experience with Pro Link and the quality of the final product + bits that was included Im definitely holding off buying Phase until its been out for a couple of months to see how it fairs in real world use.

• Like 1

doesnt cut in to their sales, i suspect tgey will just quietly let this develop on, all it does is replace their vinyl, which you get with a purchase anyway.

I recon Serato make at least some money on DVS vinyl, but possibly not enough to bother them.

Traktor on the hand... correct me if Im wrong but doesn't the timecode they use belong to a third party? If thats the case then I guess a portion of Traktor vinyl sales must go to a third party and therefore a dent in Traktor vinyl sales wouldn't mean as much to NI.

Interesting reports from PortableModManiac.... I did pre order the mixfader which ran well past there estimated release date but felt they did a good job of staying transparent and keeping us updated on reasons for the hold up. And like you say the Mixefader turned out to be a quality product, which gave me confidence in regards to Phase.

But after reading your experience with Pro Link and the quality of the final product + bits that was included Im definitely holding off buying Phase until its been out for a couple of months to see how it fairs in real world use.

Yeah I don't think I got any info about the release date after the initial delay one. It just arrived out of the blue. I can't help but see the same cheap plastic box when I look at the Phase as it's the same size but it also sounds too good to be true, compatible with everything... Mixfader app was amazing with the DVS working with most vinyl and tones so maybe but I don't understand how people are saying it will be the vinyl and stylus killer that is the definitive solution... At least without more information anyway. I would love to not spend any more cash on a stylus again trust me... (I broke a Shure last week and then hear that they're discontinued!). All the portable mods I've done are looking like a huge waste of time and money too if the future is stylus free...

The future is definitely not stylus free, I don't know why any one would think that to be honest. For the most part the over whelming majority of scratch dj's will always prefer real vinyl for scratching over DVS.

But as a dj who regularly play out using DVS, Phase is hugely significant to me, mostly because Im fed up with switching to internal mode because of poor isolation from large sound systems or worn out head shell connections from venue supplied 1210's

Outside of the above reasons Phase will ultimately have limited uses apart from saving money on stylus replacement if your a heavy user of DVS.

"don't understand how people are saying it will be the vinyl and stylus killer that is the definitive solution..."

Im regular reader on most of the scratch related social media pages and Ive yet to see anyone claiming the above?

The hype surrounding Phase is largely due to respected top tier dj's giving it the seal of approval after testing it, after talking to some of them directly its clear to me that Phase is the real deal, but ultimately constant real world use - post release will define if its a game changer for DVS users or not.

Guest rasteri

Considering you really need an NI or Serato system to use this anyway, which means it doesnt cut in to their sales, i suspect tgey will just quietly let this develop on, all it does is replace their vinyl, which you get with a purchase anyway.

It's not so much a case of losing sales, it's about losing control of their platform. If phase make compatible products and NI/Serato don't respond, it could be argued in court that their timecode technology is in the public domain and soon Phase are bringing out compatible software that uses the same timecode and cutting NI and Serato out entirely.

Same thing as happened when Sony sued a bunch of Playstation emulator developers in the 90s (bleem/connectix). Sony weren't concerned about losing sales, since they made all their money on the games themselves and the emulators still needed an original game disc - they were worried that bleem would become the de facto standard for playing games on and cut Sony out of the picture.

Traktor on the hand... correct me if Im wrong but doesn't the timecode they use belong to a third party?

I don't think so - you're not thinking of back when Traktor used Stanton Final Scratch are you? That was a long time ago.

"don't understand how people are saying it will be the vinyl and stylus killer that is the definitive solution..."

Im regular reader on most of the scratch related social media pages and Ive yet to see anyone claiming the above?

I am not connected with the DJ world and am probably seeing an exaggerated view based on the bits of info I see on Instagram. I have seen a lot of combining the Shure panic with release of the Phase...

I have seen a lot of combining the Shure panic with release of the Phase...

Thats jus silly people being silly, the discontinuing of Shure Phono products has been coming for a few years, I think it was something like 3 - 4 years ago when there was reports of them stopping production of stylus.

It's not so much a case of losing sales, it's about losing control of their platform. If phase make compatible products and NI/Serato don't respond, it could be argued in court that their timecode technology is in the public domain and soon Phase are bringing out compatible software that uses the same timecode and cutting NI and Serato out entirely.Same thing as happened when Sony sued a bunch of Playstation emulator developers in the 90s (bleem/connectix). Sony weren't concerned about losing sales, since they made all their money on the games themselves and the emulators still needed an original game disc - they were worried that bleem would become the de facto standard for playing games on and cut Sony out of the picture.

Traktor on the hand... correct me if Im wrong but doesn't the timecode they use belong to a third party?

I don't think so - you're not thinking of back when Traktor used Stanton Final Scratch are you? That was a long time ago.

I'm pretty sure that ship sailed a while back, they have allowed too many software developers to support their timecode vinyls in their own software to now claim it is not in the public domain.

It would have to a very cynical last cash grab for Serato or NI to try and remove their timecode from the public domain now, it would effectively crush every other competing software that supports their vinyls and would be a huge PR mistake.

In fact after the N2it lawsuit few things happened to dvs roadmap. Afaik (and probably missing some info or just forgotten it)

- After NI / stanton split N2it claim NI was stealing its intellectual property in timecode terms.

- N2it won and NI must pay them 50$ for each license (that update if you remember)

- NI gone mk2 (collateral damage about doubled resolution will require its own movie)

- N2it gone after M-audio Torq so Ms. Pinky as licensing technology.

- University paper with prior art to N2it was found so some N2it patents were affected.

- Someone put some cash and to be clear Im still trying to figure what really happened.

- M-Audio kill syncroscience, released Torq2 and killed it few days later.

- Timecode technology died a bit. NI started to ditch it slowly and focus a bit more in live remixing tools.

- Rane/Serato saw the crowns flying over their heads and also notice the broken market after The Bridge fail.

- Serato CEO (Sam Gribben) jumped out of Serato and startupped Melodics (pad bashing elearning tool). Also did a video about sync before jump xD

- New Serato team ditch itch2 and revamped it as SDj. Dvs wasnt in their first versions (remember)

- Rane started to envision Twelve and keep it standby until inMusic bought them.

- Rane owners take the money and left the business. Most employees were fired, some moved to inMusic team.

Etc

- Phase emerged and stylus srink. Turntables survive due portablism and Pioneer released a turntable. Probably soon with digital technology blowing twelves out of water... or maybe never. Who cares?

- Djs still struggle with their shit and use what they need at every moment. Analog scratching has no latency so most of them wll left turntablism before going digital.

- Brands realize it so forget about them and just start selling sample packs and stickers.

- Apple released iOS11 and fucked all hope for true post-pc and post-laptop-dvs era.

- Pioneer won and djing become boring as fuck.

- Digital Vertigo users and Focus fb group users keep te resistance working and start searching Sarah Connor.

- In some moment in the near future Arnold Schwartzennagguer robot from Terminator will be send from future to kill all djs. Some conspiranoids point that moment is past and that robot is inside Paris Hilton.

- Also in some moment in the future after that robot arrive, John Connor will arrive from future with a perfect turntable developed by RME. Dr Strange will help and Elon Musk will reveal hes Ironman in a press conference about that Dbz fight between John Connor and Paris Hilton over the Tesla town. Other avengers will start to stand up and will take sides on analog vs digital turntablism drama.

- Civil War fires up. Spiderman and stANTon Man will fight over an airport. Black Panther and Deadpool make a crossover called Black Pool of Deadly Cougars. Snoop Dog is find dead with suicide note ...Why not I wondered it first?... wrote on it.

... post your own and join the derail armada.

For further detailed info mixed with some Marvel superheroes movies check this link.

http://who-invented-digital-vinyl.co.uk/

- Digital Vertigo users and Focus fb group users keep te resistance working and start searching Sarah Connor.

- In some moment in the near future Arnold Schwartzennagguer robot from Terminator will be send from future to kill all djs. Some conspiranoids point that moment is past and that robot is inside Paris Hilton.

- Also in some moment in the future after that robot arrive, John Connor will arrive from future with a perfect turntable developed by RME. Dr Strange will help and Elon Musk will reveal hes Ironman in a press conference about that Dbz fight between John Connor and Paris Hilton over the Tesla town. Other avengers will start to stand up and will take sides on analog vs digital turntablism drama.

- Civil War fires up. Spiderman and stANTon Man will fight over an airport. Black Panther and Deadpool make a crossover called Black Pool of Deadly Cougars. Snoop Dog is find dead with suicide note ...Why not I wondered it first?... wrote on it.

Lol that's awesome. Thinking about the actual mod side of it. How close to a Rane style system are those optical mouse hacks? I was thinking about trying it (never get round to anything though) but was wondering about how similar a jog wheel is in terms of sending the midi signal to tell the software that the 'deck' is moving compared with a DVS signal. I have seen people 'scratch' with the optical mouse hacks which is midi I think. How far from DVS is midi? If it's not that far soon will it be hacked?

• Like 1

Lol that's awesome. Thinking about the actual mod side of it. How close to a Rane style system are those optical mouse hacks? I was thinking about trying it (never get round to anything though) but was wondering about how similar a jog wheel is in terms of sending the midi signal to tell the software that the 'deck' is moving compared with a DVS signal. I have seen people 'scratch' with the optical mouse hacks which is midi I think. How far from DVS is midi? If it's not that far soon will it be hacked?

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=39599

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

It seems like with the colour screen the Rane 72 is only a few evolutionary steps away from being a perfect standalone DVS solution.

But yeah it also seems like Pioneer have all the IP necessary to do this - add rekordbox DVS capability to an XDJ-RX and you're there.

• Like 2