Win a handpan for $10

djdiggla

I think Dan first posted a video of these neat instruments that i'm now obsessed with.

Anyways--this guy is a musician and artisan that makes hangdrums/handpans. Buy his album for $10 and you are entered in a raffle for his 100th build.

http://www.cfoulke.com/raffle.html

• Like 1

Thats got to be worth a punt at $10 even with the shipping costs factoring into things

Im tempted to have a go or two at this ,even $20 is peanuts for the chance to win something as cool as a Hang

They're lovely instruments for sure but i dont think i'd pay that much for one at a grand

I should imagine they dont pop up often for sale second hand either lol

If you ever hear of anyone raffling one of these things though ill be the first in the queue ..

I have posted this video before on here but who cares when somethings this cool

Hey Dirk! we need to bump that 'Unheard Instruments' thread back up again dude

• Like 1

Yeah man, that's a good thread.

Think I like about the hang is it looks to be pretty dummy proof which is perfect for me. i don't have the patience to learn something new.

• Like 1

My missus wants to learn to play the Harp lol

in her dreams she would have one set up in our front room and would walk to it in the morning and (in her words) 'be all tranquil'

Hahaha i'd fucking pay whatever they were asking to see that happen hehe

Mind you she probably would have the patience to learn it as she was a pretty accomplished Sax player when she was younger

Ive also informed her she has to wear these exact same shoes in the video below every time she plays it if we ever have the funds to actually buy one

I do like their version of this song though

• Like 1

sheeit.... On our honeymoon the wife and I stopped in Amsterdam for 3 days. Upon arrival we went directly to a coffee shop and smoked some glorious sativa. After realizing how high we were because we haven't smoked for over a week we went to go wander the streets. Stopped at one of the bridges where a guy was playing this instrument.

I was in awe and combined with my high the music literally almost made me cry. I would count it as one of the most memorable weed experiences in my life, next to dabbing wax for the first time and discovering hydro.

I'd link a clip but my wifes IG account is private :/

• Like 2

Hangs are usually $2k and up, plus really hard to get because they only make x amount annually (somewhere around 60k). Hangs are tough to learn, it's all about mastering the touch (you don't hit them), but once you start to get them down, they sound mesmerizing. Ironically, I learned how to play hangdrums by learning the tank drum...all in the touch. My best friend started making tankdrums in 2007 after he learned how to make them from our friend, a local hang player and owner, as well as a seriously up and coming ambient artist Moon Frog.

Here's a video of my friend and I playing tanks, however, the beginning is a little off, then we get our timing:

• Like 1

I checked out those tank drums as a cheaper alternative. Never pulled the trigger on it tho. Felt like I would just be disappointed long term.

I also been trying to save for one of these Black Swan drums. http://www.swanpercussion.com I play a cajon some and like it a lot but not as deep as if like it to be. I've messed around with the Swans at the store that makes em. Pretty great but also seems way expensive at $800!

Honestly man, I like playing the tankdrums more than the hang due to the note variations with the tanks. Most hangs sound the same, and basically have limited range, but they're still dope.

That's good to know! Anything to look for in a tank? Key, number of tongues or brand advice?

• Like 1

Hangs are usually $2k and up, plus really hard to get because they only make x amount annually (somewhere around 60k). Hangs are tough to learn, it's all about mastering the touch (you don't hit them), but once you start to get them down, they sound mesmerizing. Ironically, I learned how to play hangdrums by learning the tank drum...all in the touch. My best friend started making tankdrums in 2007 after he learned how to make them from our friend, a local hang player and owner, as well as a seriously up and coming ambient artist Moon Frog.

Here's a video of my friend and I playing tanks, however, the beginning is a little off, then we get our timing:

J House -the video of you and your friend playing those tanks is seriously dope bro

I play acoustic guitars in dropped D minor and various modal tunings plus slide guitars as well and im wishing i could be jamming with you right now lol

• Like 1

Honestly man, I like playing the tankdrums more than the hang due to the note variations with the tanks. Most hangs sound the same, and basically have limited range, but they're still dope.

That's good to know! Anything to look for in a tank? Key, number of tongues or brand advice?

I really like variations of C tanks because they sound really angelic, then there are the tanks with darker tones that are definitely cool too.

What I've experienced with number of tongues is this: The more you have, obviously the more notes you have at your fingertips, however, the less you have, more vibrations available, which is the main sound generator of this instrument. So basically, the simpler tanks have louder and longer sounds, and the complex tanks have numerous notes on standby. Getting doubled sided tanks opens up the doors too with high pitched sounds. Again, very angelic.

Regarding brands, I'm pretty biased. The tankdrum link provided above is to my homie's site and also the dude in the video. His tanks sound dank, plus he has tons of key variations. However, there are some really dope tanks on the market that look sick, but they don't seem to have the same resonations since they're painted or otherwise messed with, which subsequently f's up the overall sound. It's stifles the vibrations basically. Still though, there are other tank drums available done right that look fuckin' phat.

My advice: Watch a bunch of tank drum videos, from various creators, to see which ones sound best.

• Like 1

J House -the video of you and your friend playing those tanks is seriously dope bro

I play acoustic guitars in dropped D minor and various modal tunings plus slide guitars as well and im wishing i could be jamming with you right now lol

Man, thanks, much appreciated. We were hyped up on espresso shots, blunts, and coffee as a chaser. Won't be doing that again 'cause it fucked with our timing quite a bit throughout the total recording. That was just one piece of about a 2-3 hour session, which was all good stuff, but seriously needed tightening.

• 3 years later...

What is a sensible key for a tankdrum or tongue drum?