Numark is bringing out the PT01 Scratch!

Lets be fair, they have missed the mark entirely, they haven't added a better tone arm and just thrown a switch in, like Sy said, more for modding, but these muppets are just trying to cash in on what has already defined itself as a DIY scene, it will have to be something very spectacular now to define a standard, and unfortunately those nuts at Vestax are no more :(

• Like 2

... these muppets are just trying to cash in on what has already defined itself as a DIY scene, it will have to be something very spectacular now to define a standard, and unfortunately those nuts at Vestax are no more :(

It's not the history itself of Hiphop?

Even when the innovation cames from the community itself (when it comes...) not being disclosure as open etc. Obviously the second part is my humble opinion...

Not really, HipHop (Well the DJing part at least) started pretty much on Technics, then Technics made a deck for those people already using their previous Technics decks (OK they took the piss and didn't really update the Technics enough, but hey, you don't reinvent the wheel, even the wheel of steel, badumm tish) so in reality, the history of the DJing side of HipHop was not really companies cashing in on HipHop, if anybody thinks that DJ technology has been governed and guided commercially by HipHop they are so far from reality it is unbelievable, for every HipHop DJ, there is a thousand disco daves doing the karaoke and 80s hits in the pub on a saturday night, for every HipHop DJ, there is a hundred (At least) dance DJs who only ever mix and look at tablism as some gimmicky shite.

While HipHop had a little influence on the move from MkI to MKII 12s, the reality is that Disco had way way more influence.

HipHop DJing, the very definition of "You are not supposed to use it like that"

HipHop has played little of consequence in the commercial world of DJ tech, any company that tried to support HipHop generously, simply went bust, and the so called 'Battle mixers' that middle of the road DJ tech companies make are pretty much total garbage because they still have to cater for middle of the road DJs.

In fact if you want the truth, there has been more support of HipHop clothing and bling than there ever has been for DJ Tech, and this cash cow will crumble very quickly as soon as a bunch of over excited people (Hey i am mobile cutting) stop flooding Twitter and Facebook with dodgy pictures of them cutting in front of a cow in a field.

This low grade junk (Seriously, just rerelease the PT01 with a switch, raise the price, get the fuck out of here Numark, oh and lets not even remove those dodgy 12" stablizer pads, because everybody scratches with a 12" on one of these right hahahaha) is not what is needed, a slick quality device designed specifically for the job is.

Maybe as English is not my native tongue I lost myself in translation. I will try to express different...

It wasn't brands (audio gear) doing this shit over the whole history of djing culture itself?

The example about technics is maybe the worst because it become a "dogma" even when other brands tried to go further (ttx, c-one...) meanwhile them didn't improve nothing and when finally are re-releasing news are more focused to hifi than ever...

I'm not huge fan of Numark but I don't see evil on this release, only a missed opportunity to do it better asking Focus or Rastieri and obviously make them (the pt) more open like korg with monotrons ie. These things are more supportive to diy than the price or capitalization because wanabees will be all around, with or without Numark updating, and also gold minners will be trying to do the same inside or outside of diy. This "market" is small niche and open knowledge or collab isn't the standard neither.

About switch I see it more pro than any overprice passive friskies...

Edited by Mutis Mayfield

I don't see any evil, just very typical cash cowing.

All Numark (Inmusic to be fair) are doing is releasing the same product, adding a switch and raising the price, that is nothing special at all, and really does not warrant the 'Scratch' moniker, it is the exact same thing that all the CDJ developers were doing when they added a jog wheel......wait.......wait......can you guess what it is yet........."Scratch wheel" a crappy encoder that you would be better pressed pulling off the PCB and using it to scratch your arse.

And they only did that while 'Disco dave' was trying to impress the girls thirty years younger than him, down the dog and duck on a friday.

After that it became 'Vinyl mode' for the EDM crowd that wanted to be "yes i don't use BPM sync" tossers hahaha

These will be used with external faders, be modded out the ying yang and Numark will make a few quid, nothing more, they won't make enough money to actually invest in a new design.

Inmusic only invest in their headline brands, Numark is not one of those, in fact it is now even second rate next to Ion, Ion used to be the place that Numark and Alesis products went to die, now Ion is the pinnacle of hardware DAW controllers and a bunch of other tech (Seriously, the Icon Pro is amazing)

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel the necessity to build my own portable with cdx parts I have in the basement but then I think it twice and forget it.

If someone check the service manual of cdx (it's uploaded to the shared drive) you can find how the engineered suggested adding midi control from the platter and also the possibility of memory card reading (it could be upgradeable with some tweaking) which was implemented in hdx later (also in the not so old ndx400).

So I'm mostly agreed about your InMusic and Numark feelings. Also agreed about how brands don't give a fuck about ttablism or diy.

Inmusic only invest in their headline brands, Numark is not one of those, in fact it is now even second rate next to Ion, Ion used to be the place that Numark and Alesis products went to die, now Ion is the pinnacle of hardware DAW controllers and a bunch of other tech (Seriously, the Icon Pro is amazing)

Are you referring to Icon? A range of shitty oem keyboards and pad controls that look suspiciously like Korg nanos and a nice Mackie Control knockoff? They're not the same as Ion. The Mackie Control knockoff does look interesting...

Guest rasteri

Hmm. The things I really wanna know are -

1. Have they just stuck a fader cap on a regular toggle switch or is it a tiny fader

2. Does the switch make a horrible popping noise a la line/phono switches or have they done it properly

3. Will the modifications make it harder or easier to add your own fader

• Like 2

InMusic probably found out that they have something like 10.000 switches from the Stanton SA8s & SA12s and figured they should do something with them.

A clever move, manufacturing wise, but completely off the mark. That switch, besides the obvious "pop", is nothing close to any normal fader. Everybody is utilizing the travel distance of any fader, something not possible with this one.

Only if it makes it easier to hot-swap it with some other fader, it might sell. Of course, under the notion that it will be priced normally (which I highly doubt).

EDIT: I don't see anywhere how the audio is supposed to routed. If someone has to add a fader-hub anyhow to route audio/loops, then they completely missed the mark.

Edited by kebzer
  • Like 1

Are you referring to Icon? A range of shitty oem keyboards and pad controls that look suspiciously like Korg nanos and a nice Mackie Control knockoff? They're not the same as Ion. The Mackie Control knockoff does look interesting...

Ion and icon are the same company (Used to be anyway, maybe they split off ??), Icon is/was their pro brand, Ion designed and manufactured the Korg nanos and i am not sure what you mean by Mackie Knockoff, the Mackie HUI protocol is an open standard and built in to most hosts, so the controllers pretty much have to look like that to support the format ;)

Oh well colour me stupid then. I always though Ion was an original brand created by Jack Odonnell, and icon was an oem knockoff brand from Hong Kong. You'd always see icon by the toilets at trade shows with a table with knockoff oem gear laid out.

I'm not referring to the protocol as a whole so much as the original products - the logic control and later the Mackie control. These used a different protocol to hui, which was a pro tools thing, and the logic control one was logic only, the Mackie control was for everything else.

As far as I know, which might not be much, the Mackie control protocol being put in a bunch of daws opened it up to bring 'hijacked' by other controllers pretending to be a Mackie control because it's powerful and can make things plug and play, and daws allow 'emulated' Mackie controls that creates a sort of through-ware solution. It's not an open standard as such, it's more a widely used proprietary solution.

Anyway, the qcon pro looks more or less exactly like the Mackie control. Not a bad thing, just an observation. All the icon stuff looks like knockoffs (and they're often named with knockoff sounding titles too) - I'm surprised that its the other way round in the case of the korg nanos.

Actually all the Mackies are based on the Mackie HUI protocol/format, even the non named HUI controllers, it is just a setting

The Mackie protocol was not for hijacking as you put it, it was created by Mackie themselves to bolster the fledgling controller market (Standards tend to create sales)

In fact when you ask Mackie for the details for developing, they even ask to see the layout to make sure it does not wander too far from the path, or this was the case up to two years ago when i was involved in designing one

The Qcon pro looks absolutely nothing like the Mackie, I have used both extensively haha, the Mackie in this case is better to use for a little while, but the Qcon is much much higher build quality, I would take the Qcon or better still the newer Qcon over the Mackies very very dated design, any day of the week.

Saying they look similar is sort of like saying a Liverpool football club shirt looks like a wolves football club shirt, they both follow the shirt protocol, but hey ;)

A HUI controller, yes the layout is the same, believe it or not, that layout is actually part of the protocol (Damn stupid i know, but thats how it is)

(to be fair i was only helping out, and the project never actually got past the usual committee shite hahaha)

Sometimes I feel the necessity to build my own portable with cdx parts I have in the basement but then I think it twice and forget it.

If someone check the service manual of cdx (it's uploaded to the shared drive) you can find how the engineered suggested adding midi control from the platter and also the possibility of memory card reading (it could be upgradeable with some tweaking) which was implemented in hdx later (also in the not so old ndx400).

So I'm mostly agreed about your InMusic and Numark feelings. Also agreed about how brands don't give a fuck about ttablism or diy.

Woah woah woah, hang on here a minute, i have about 7 CDX with the drive read error, what is this card reading of which you speak ???

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Woah woah woah, hang on here a minute, i have about 7 CDX with the drive read error, what is this card reading of which you speak ???

Really? I'm not sure I can fix them or replace them with a card reader, but I'll certainly take a couple off your hands for the price of shipping, and tell you how to fix the rest if successful...

• Like 1

It is normally just the cd drive cable

Do you want to be gutted hahaha

I just paid 10 quid for two, and erm, they are flight cased

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Pair-of-Numark-CDX-Decks-in-flight-cases-/262581790422?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zPjCTJqWRQpTlhxG3DD1HGikE4A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

But yeah, i am in flux at the minute with emptying the studio and such, but i can certainly find you out one, I do want to keep some as spare parts just in case, but if i you can replace the cd drive with a reader, i will definitely send you the second one too.

Well...

Inside the drive shared with the community I have all the info researched about digital turntables I had collected over the years... Includding service manuals for cdx and dn3700.

At the cdx one you can find interesting things like the usb drive part of hdx but also smartmedia and sony memory (if I remember well).

https://instagram.com/p/BGp6mmZvJHu/

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4ftWaZ6ARSUQ2VmakxnNFc5R2c

Edited by Mutis Mayfield

Yes Flexi!

I don't find the bbcode to integrate an image (the instagram one) or upload to thread but in the mp3 decoder board you find some missed chips and components (smd my bad) which are the usb controller to use the hd in hdx but it could be possible to attach a usb female and thumb drive by 99% (fat32 drive) so if someone could find some of these PDIUSB12PW in smd encapsulation and solder them (with the missed parts) should get more or less a step in the middle between cdx and hdx. I didn't trashed mine hoping for some luck... Maybe is the time Rasteri?

:rolleyes: