Simulating an 808 kick drum

Guest rasteri

Guest rasteri

I input the TR-808 kick drum in a circuit simulator (LTSpice) and left it running for ages (took over an hour to simulate a few seconds) :

So here's the resulting .wav, probably the most cleanly-"recorded" 808 kick in existence : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FEmphzxtnxREhoS3pJZDVTOXM/view?usp=sharing

Sounds great with a little distortion and compression. Might be fun to try virtually circuit-bending it next. We'll see how things pan out.

• Like 6

Guest rasteri

If it's possible adjust component specs maybe you can make the resistors germaniun based. Maybe this is what Roland calls ACB tech for their Aira machines.

As far as I can tell from the schematics Roland just used normal resistors and silicon transistors/diodes in the original 808. I think the ACB stuff is their way of doing a much more optimised version of this same circuit-simulation approach, with some added randomness to make it even more analoguey.

• Like 1

If it's possible adjust component specs maybe you can make the resistors germaniun based. Maybe this is what Roland calls ACB tech for their Aira machines.

As far as I can tell from the schematics Roland just used normal resistors and silicon transistors/diodes in the original 808. I think the ACB stuff is their way of doing a much more optimised version of this same circuit-simulation approach, with some added randomness to make it even more analoguey.

Anyways this is brillant, man. ;)

Edited by Mutis Mayfield

Guest rasteri

That's just the control panel right, controller for the simulation running on something ?

It's the whole analogue kickdrum circuit. Most of the components are going to be surface-mounted on the underside :

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

I'd have to charge quite a lot (like £150 or so), and that would just be for the assembled board with no enclosure, although I'd give it a rubber/foam base to protect the components. Would people be interested at that price do you think?

Guest rasteri

Also I did toy with the idea of doing a run of 200, which would get the price down to maybe £100/unit (again just an assembled PCB with no enclosure), but I don't know if that many people would be interested, and I'd obviously have to raise a few grand first (maybe kickstarter).

• Like 2

I'd definitely want one. Obviously £100 would be easier to swallow than £150, but we all know you'd charge fairly based on costs, time, etc.

I think your KS suggestion is right on the money for this one. It's kind of niche, but I'm sure there are 200 nerds out there who'd gladly buy this. Looking at the money people spend on synths old and new, boutique pedals, etc. This is not big money in that world and I think it would fit in nicely with all the affordable small synth type modules out there that are popular right now.

• Like 2