weird Vestax 06 pro cue issue

Does anybody know how to fix a headphone preamp that is not responding when I adjust the volume knob? It's super loud and distorted, even tried to keep the volume as low as I could and use an external headphone preamp but it still sounds horrible. I replaced the cue fader because it was bleeding but no dice. Same output from both jacks, too.

This was my first "good" mixer (big upgrade from a Gemini Trickmaster in '98 or so) and I'd love to be able to use it again for my weekly radio show. I also got have one of those "rare" red faceplates on it (can't remember when or how I got it?) so I'm committed. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Thank you in advance for your help!

It could be that the capacitors in the headphone amp are blown. Is it just the headphones or is it the whole mixer giving that output? Check your master outs too! If the whole mixer is giving that sort of output I bet you need to rebuild the power supply.

Rebuilding the headphone amp or power supply is not that hard but it's also not that easy. You need to pull the values off of the existing capacitors, buy new caps, then install the new caps. It takes desoldering and soldering. If you are scratching your head going "caps?, power supply? what?" then send it off for repair. Electronics and sloppy work do not go very well together. It's easy to fry a board by doing something really simple like plugging a connector in the wrong way.

Thank you Jam Burglar!

It's just the headphones thankfully. The master outs are good to go.

Do you think I need to send it off to somebody like Jesse Dean or should an all purpose electronics repair shop be able to handle it? Appreciate the advice!

My thought would be to look for a cheap 2nd hand replacement. Sometimes they go cheap and you'd have your old one for spare bits. Just an idea although fixing would very well be the cheapest option. :)

If it was me, I'd try to locate some schematics and start poking around the headphone circuit to see what I could find (evidence of blown caps, headphone jack, etc.) but I wouldn't recommend that unless you've got some soldering skill or are at least willing to learn before you try to repair yourself.

That loud distortion is exactly what my Rane 54 was doing when the power section needed to be recapped, but it could be lots of other things. Bad caps is just the most obvious thing since they only last so long. A skilled repair person would be able to diagnose what's wrong, then make the repair. Going in there and replacing caps without knowing it's the caps that are the problem is kind of hackish.

The better course might be to try one of these places (they apparently do Rane service work)

Audio Visions Repair Inc.

8705 W Broad Street

Richmond VA 23294

Tel: 804-346-4617

Fax: 804-346-0876

Email

Music Technology Inc.

5414-B Port Royal Rd.

Springfield, VA 22151

Tel: 703-764-7005

Fax: 703-764-0079

Audio Services