try before you buy DJ gear in London?

Got some time off tomorrow and after weighing up getting something productive done or playing with a new toy all day, I thought I'd try and find somewhere selling a Pioneer S9 I could try, anywhere come to mind?

Would need to be in London or within an hours drive max I guess...

Normally when I've upgraded mixers I've sold existing gear later (or just hoarded!), nowadays I'd have to sell what I've got first, so really itching to have a good go on an S9 ...

Thanks!

West End Dj have one, it's signed by Jazzy Jeff!

It wasn't set up when I went in about a week ago, but they got it out so I could take a look at it.

Prefer Juno over West End Dj tbh, always found their customer service very good.

Ahh cheers guys, yeah West end DJ was the only possibility I could think of. I went there once maybe '08 or '09 and wasn't overly impressed, think I did a few rounds of the place before anyone even greeted me and there wasnt much available to try tbh. Yeah id definitely buy from Juno always happy with them and they'll actually knock £40 off their list price for the pioneer if you ask about it

Ahh cheers guys, yeah West end DJ was the only possibility I could think of. I went there once maybe '08 or '09 and wasn't overly impressed, think I did a few rounds of the place before anyone even greeted me and there wasnt much available to try tbh. Yeah id definitely buy from Juno always happy with them and they'll actually knock £40 off their list price for the pioneer if you ask about it

Nah West End DJ are alright. They'll help you if you ask em about stuff. I think they probably get a lot of time wasters so wait a while until they bother with you is all. I've had them knock money off the price too before as well. I've not actually been in to Juno though, just bought from online. (where is it?)

• Like 1

A true story about West End DJ...

A long time ago I had to ditch my old Xone 02 and Pro X as they (weirdly) stopped working with each other, so with the money from selling them combined with my credit card I was in the market for a replacement. Even though I hadn't tried one, I'd lusted after a Scratchbox since the Skratchworx review and as it was only credit card not real money, I thought I'd go for it.

The only place I could find with them in stock on their website was West End DJ. This was the days before internet on your phone was any good so I called them to order one...

The response I got from the salesman was "No we don't actually have them in stock and TBH none of us here have ever even seen one, besides they're not actually a very good mixer, they're not worth the money and although I could try and get one in for you, I really wouldn't recommend that you get one at all". Oh, ok... "Honestly, if you've got around £700 to spend on a scratch mixer, your best bet would be a Rane Empath. I've got them in stock right now and could dispatch it today for £750". I was quick to point out that if I was going to get a Rane mixer, surely the 56 was the logical alternative to a Scratchbox. It would even save me money as they were going for around £440 at the time. Quick to protect his potential comission, he proceeded to patronise me and 'explain' how the two mixers were nothing like each other and that my attempts to point out similarities meant nothing compared to his years in the selling DJ kit game.

Naturally, I hung up on him and went and bought a 56 from another place and made sure to avoid WEDJ whenever possible from that day on.

I know one shady salesman doesn't really represent a whole company for the forseeable future, but still...

• Like 2

I lived in London for a summer in 1996. I lived on Gower St, so Tottenham Court Road was right around the corner. All types of electronics on Tottenham Ct. Rd. West End DJ was there even back then! I sort of remember there being a bunch of spots through there but they're probably all gone now.

• Like 1

West Dj were pretty decent when i popped in looking for a m447 stylus. They had run out so opened a packaged Cart+Stylus and sold me just the stylus....

• Like 1