Rane bought by inMusic

Yes they did, they aquired Akai in 2005, 2008/9 for APC40 (Which is a hell of a bit of kit)

Akai tragedy stories, post InMusic, mostly come from people who just wanted more of the same standalone MPCs (Which were not even good sellers at that point)

The MPC Ren/Studio/Touch are actually pretty damn fine bits of kit, and MPC 2 looks like it could be nice too.

M-Audios keyboards actions have gotten better with InMusic, Alesis who where only afloat because of some chip designs when InMusic bought them have created multiple E kit stuff that is invaluable since being taken over....the list goes on really.

While i have no love for these big monsters owning everything, they haven't in this case at least (looking at you Gibson) completely beast fucked the userbase.

• Like 1

The history of InMusic management with legacy brands is absolutely heartbreaking. They destroyed AKAI and Mackie, both with almost cult-like customers, and they did nothing to upgrade Alesis or Numark. Nobody gives a shit about Denon trying to push themselves as hi-end, ain't nobody crazy to buy into that.

I'm 99% sure they will destroy Rane too. They will try to migrate the hi-end part of Rane into other products, only to end up with homologated mixers all over the place and under various banners, with zero quality assurance (based on their current manufacturing standards).

InMusic never owned Mackie ???

Mackie are world class at destroying brands themselves, they very nearly ended UAD and Tracktion, both now thriving since leaving Mackie behind.

Maybe i missed Mackie getting bought by InMusic, but they aren't listed as an InMusic company and i am pretty sure Mackies reputation was shot to shit a long long time ago anyway.

Same everywhere really, no matter how many people yell foul, InMusic make some great stuff, they also make piles of junk, but then they have junk companies, that are now stepping leaps n bounds up the ladder, Icon qcon pro is spectacular.

And this basically sums up any company, they make good stuff, they make shite too lol

Same everywhere really, no matter how many people yell foul, InMusic make some great stuff, they also make piles of junk, but then they have junk companies, that are now stepping leaps n bounds up the ladder, Icon qcon pro is spectacular.

And this basically sums up any company, they make good stuff, they make shite too lol

I don't think you can compare a closely held company like Rane to these large conglomerates. Not saying InMusic is some type of monster, and maybe it was the best choice if the end result was purchase by a large company, but these small closely held companies are more than just their product. There's a whole ethos that goes into the product that's lost when the core group of employees is no longer around. Rane didn't tend to make piles of junk. Rane was nothing like Numark, where product quality varied wildly. They didn't always knock it out of the park but they made good product and stood behind it. Keeping a few engineers, terminating the rest of the staff, and moving production 1000s of miles away is going to gut the sole of the company. Maybe InMusic will continue to put out decent mixers under the Rane brand-name but it's not going to be "Rane".

Actually by very definition it will be Rane, they own the name and the designs, so it will be Rane, you may not like it because it is no longer boutique, but as mentioned, i guess that side of things was only relevant to the US, we have nothing in the UK of that sort.

I'm a big defender of Numark, they make some great kit.

This was my thought to, If inMusic wanna stay true to the Rane brand as well as they've done with Numark then there's considerable hope that the first few Rane products will be pretty decent. Going on the amount of reports of broken rane 62 knobs, faders and buttons it could be argued that the more premium Numark components is of a higher standard (oh controversy!).

Like I said in my previous post, sound quality and customer care is what makes Rsne so unique in the industry, both of those are definitely in threat now under inMusic ownership:(