Best monitor speakers for £200 or less

I use a pair of Mackie MR5's which are exactly £200. They are probably not purist monitors but if you do more listening than clinical production they are probably alright. I didn't rigourously AB them in a perfect studio environment though.

This is just for bedroom DJ mixing purposes I probably should add. Doesn't have to be too loud just enough to feel the bass. I assume these both connect direct to my mixer with no amp either?

Edited by AndyHiams

This is just for bedroom DJ mixing purposes I probably should add. Doesn't have to be too loud just enough to feel the base. I assume these both connect direct to my mixer with no amp either?

The KRK's yes, but not sure about the Mackie's.

Depending how much time you spend on the mix, you may find KRKs or the Mackies a little fatiguing, I still favour Hifi over studio for mixing personally.

Interesting comment cheers I may look at a different route then.

Seems like the only other good option would be Alesis... Mk2 or something. Those were pretty standard before KrK eclipsed them. I like them better but the KRK seem to last longer.

Depending how much time you spend on the mix, you may find KRKs or the Mackies a little fatiguing, I still favour Hifi over studio for mixing personally.

Interesting comment cheers I may look at a different route then.

I agree with this.

Yamaha HS series

I suspect he wants more than 1, which rules out the HS, and while i love the HS in the studio, there is no way i would ever want to mix (turntables) for long periods on them, the 50s are too clinical, the 80s are near impossible to set up properly, the 7s and 8s are better in that regard, but they are still way too linked to the original NS design to be comfortable for long periods.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...