How often do you manage it?

AndyHiams

I just wondered how diverse everyone on this forum is. What I mean is how often do you get on your decks, is it your profession or do you just mess around at home.

For me with my job, family, moving house recently and getting married in the last 3 years don't have as much time as I would like. Probably just practice/play 2 or 3 times a week for an hr or so at present. Hopefully will get more time and would like to get a few local gigs at some point but I know I need to get my arse in gear for that to happen.

On a side note is there a biography option for forum members? I'm off to have a look before I suggest one!

I haven't used my decks for a long time, but at one time I used to practice scratching pretty much every day. I've never DJed as my main job, but I have DJed for money plenty of times - not much of it mind you. :d

There's no biography page you can fill out unfortunately.

Guest rasteri

Ever since I got a setup in my workshop and can cut when I've been supposed to be working I've managed to get a lot more practice in.

• Like 2

I don't practice like when I was younger but when I cut now its a balance of just vibing out and freestyling or dedicated sharpening of old/new skills to add to the arsenal.

As far as gigging....I did a ton of solo/band scratch based shows from 2003-2008 but got married in 2009 and really dedicated myself to video/editing work around then too and I virtually all but stopped scratching for almost 2-3 years.

Having said that now I cut a couple times a week depending on how busy I get with work/life but feel sharper than ever and love it even more than I used to.

In my teens it was everyday, obsessively. I do miss those years when I was most productive - but I was also smoking a lot of weed.

These days I'm lucky if I can be bothered once a week, if that. But that's mainly down to getting into other things. I read a lot more, and getting back into screenwriting, I watch a crazy amount of films everyday (part of my job).

Music has become a hobby but I kinda prefer it that way. It's refreshing to make a beat, or have a cut.

Guest Symatic

Ever since I got a setup in my workshop and can cut when I've been supposed to be working I've managed to get a lot more practice in.

that's where the mixer you fixed for me is going too. #WorkCuts #OnlyWayToMakeMoneyScrattching

I don't get on the decks at home these days.. barely ever....

Maybe once every few months or so... I should really practice more tbh. I used to cut 30+ hours on a weekend when I was single and not running businesses, which is well over ten years ago now..

I still do 2 to 3 gigs a month, which is usually 10 or so hours... so keeps me in the game in terms of actually being on the tables, just not much time purely cuttin...

When I do have a scratch, I'm always surprised how quickly I can get the feel back, and be on point - I guess playing out a bit helps after all?

Guest petesasqwax

These days I cut maybe a handful of times a year. It's fun when I do it, but my main interest has always been production and these days I'm probably further from anything most people would perceive as hip-hip than I ever have been. Suits me fine :)

As for the biography section: you could always start a biog thread. Sounds like a pretty good idea, especially for people who are new to the board and want to get a better idea of who everyone is

• Like 1

I just wondered how diverse everyone on this forum is. What I mean is how often do you get on your decks, is it your profession or do you just mess around at home.

For me with my job, family, moving house recently and getting married in the last 3 years don't have as much time as I would like. Probably just practice/play 2 or 3 times a week for an hr or so at present. Hopefully will get more time and would like to get a few local gigs at some point but I know I need to get my arse in gear for that to happen.

On a side note is there a biography option for forum members? I'm off to have a look before I suggest one!

About the same. 2 or 3 times a week. Hard to do much more juggling a job and family. And sleep.

I always feel like I don't get as much time as I would like but seems a lot of us are in the same boat really. Perhaps I'm not so hard done by. I do work from home once a week so get a guaranteed hr uninterrupted on my lunch break :-)

Same here, I hardly have any time anymore. I'm lucky if I get in 2 or 3 days a week for 15-20 minutes per sesh. It's really not enough because you have to keep your muscles developed for it. I'll get on the decks after being off for a while and my muscles will get all sore, speed decreases, etc. Back in the day I was putting in way more time, practicing scratch drums, dedicating time to practice and making tapes and stuff. Now I have music projects that have taken YEARS because I have no time to work on them.

I've got so many unfinished projects that I don't know which one to try and finish first. I haven't got any kids but I've got a demanding job and a wife who isn't demanding, to be fair.

I get to do a couple of hours here and there, about two to four times a week. I usually warm up by freestyling for 30mins to an hour and then spend the rest of the time laying down cuts for whatever I'm working on. My muscle memory suffers as JB has described above but I don't have much choice. It's either that or I use all my spare time to practice and don't do any projects, but that's not happening! Having said that, if I really get in the zone while I'm freestyling I'll sometimes spend up all of my allotted time cutting. Those moments don't happen often so I seize them when I can.

I've done a few mixes but I've never done an EP or album. I've got two tracks finished on an EP and I reckon it'll be ready once I've done another two or three tracks. Scratch music takes sooooooo long to make :\

Did anyone pick up on the Fawlty Towers quote by the way?

Yes and I was incredibly surprised that the thread didn't immediately derail on the basis of the double entrendre anyway! Come on dv.

I've just trumped and I thought it would come out quiet and it didn't. At least it doesn't smell.

Edit: I was mistaken.

I've got so many unfinished projects that I don't know which one to try and finish first.

This is totally me.

I go through phases of having a great idea for a new project, set it all up, work on a few loops.....and then it'll sit there for months/years not doing anything. I have tracklists ready for about 3 or 4 mixtapes just waiting to be thrown together.

I think that's why I like our Beat Battles so much, the deadlines really help get shit done!

Did anyone pick up on the Fawlty Towers quote by the way?

Yes and I was incredibly surprised that the thread didn't immediately derail on the basis of the double entrendre anyway! Come on dv.

I've just trumped and I thought it would come out quiet and it didn't. At least it doesn't smell.

Edit: I was mistaken.