Unofficial replacement parts

For the most part I've found that unofficial, or unlicensed, replacement parts for equipment work just as well, and usually cheaper than the real thing. But I suppose you would always run the risk of something not being compatible, and end up wasting money.

In the past I've had genuine laptop power cables explode, only to be replacement by a cheap alternative that's lasted years longer. And the opposite is also true of other equipment and parts. Maybe I'm just the unlucky shopper who gets the faulty stuff :rolleyes: .

I've had my eye on a couple of things on eBay that I'm still not sure about -

Shure N447 Stylus

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171421642030?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The official Shure N447 stylus sell for about £20, which isn't too expensive I suppose. But to make a saving, is this cheaper one a decent enough replacement? To me it looks a little dodgy, and I can't imagine the sound quality will be the same (?).

Pad Sensitivity Enhance Kit for Akai MPK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120737509389?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you own an MPK 25 or 49, you'll know that the pads are rubbish. You have to really hit them to get a good response. I found this enhancement kit on YouTube, and from the reviews and user tests I've seen it seems pretty decent.

I'm willing to give things a try if I can make a saving, if they have good reviews and recommendations. But is it worth it in the end if you potentially might damage your gear.

Attn mods: this thread might be better suited for TECH HELP, but I thought it works as a general conversation.

Guest rasteri

Devices that plug into the mains better have a brand name to sue if they burn down the house.

Anything else is worth a try, particularly for stuff that's no longer made.

(Surprisingly, Panasonic still make parts for 1200mk2s)

• Like 1

second that I had some fake 44-7's absolute shit

my mum used to have a little shop and I found em in a catalogue from a supplier

I was stoked to find I could get my needles for cheap then realised when I got them they weren't actually shure's but some kinda generic fakes

they were terrible, really really bad definitely stick with the real deal on needles

• Like 1

Yo, I got those pad sensors for an MPC awhile back and it made all the difference. You can be really subtle with your drumming, or not so. It picks it up either way and you don't have to drill it. Do it!

• Like 1

buy cheap, buy twice... sometimes.

I used to buy aftermarket stanton needles for work and they never sounded as good or lasted as long as the originals.

anything else is fair game. I'm mad for LED bulbs from china. not the same thing as a stylus. I'll get my coat.

• Like 1

Yo, I got those pad sensors for an MPC awhile back and it made all the difference. You can be really subtle with your drumming, or not so. It picks it up either way and you don't have to drill it. Do it!

Was it pretty sketchy taking the MPC apart and put the new pads in? Im confident enough to give it a go, but would be livid if something fucked up!

i need to do my maschine, decided to hav a beer once, even tho i very rarely drink, the sucker went down my maschine pads instead of my neck, luckily, only one pad suffered slightly, been lookin at the mpcstuff site for replacement sensors