Sony to release a more powerful PS4 codenamed "NEO"

Steve

Here's the leaked info: -

The CPU will be clocked at 2.1 GHz, compared to 1.6 with the current PS4. The GPU is also a considerable upgrade with a faster clock speed and double the amount of compute units. The system will still have 8 GB of DDR5 RAM, but clocked at a higher speed (218 GB/s Vs. 176).

No price has been confirmed, but it's rumoured to have an RRP of $399.99 in the US.

Sony are going to handle game development like this: -

Devs will be required to have their games run in 2 different states - "Base mode" and "NEO mode". Whether you're playing the game on a regular PS4 or a NEO, you'll be able to connect with all other PS4/NEO players to play games, use party chat, use the PSN Store etc.

Peripherals will work across both platforms too.

The NEO will support 4K output, although with those specs you won't be playing the latest games natively at 4K, but presumably it'll have the required hardware to support 4K Netflix streaming and the like.

It seems like a really good idea to me, given that they're not fracturing the userbase. Some existing PS4 owners might be a bit pissed off, but you can always trade up to the new model.

I'm not sure about the whole incremental upgrade (aka PC way) for consoles. Seems Microsoft want to do this with the Xbox too (I think). I've had my PS4 since just after launch and all I do is play remastered PS3 games!

• Like 2