Red Bull Freestyle Entries

AndyHiams

Yeah I appreciate JFB is not to everyone's taste but it works for me. I prefer when turntablism adds to the music and blends seamlessly without disrupting the flow as opposed to more technical but less musically pleasing to the ear stuff. All personal preference at the end of day. Will check out Killa Jewel.

anyone else sick of this wild card competition? I go to youtube and my feed is full of Red Bull entries of people i've never heard of who've put more time into arranging their pouts, "swagger" (god I hate that word) outfits,go-pro cameras, custom equpiment set up etc etc than their routines and "skills", there's a lot of cringe worthy viewing and listening!

• Like 2

You've got to love a 'party rocker' set, straight from the DJ's own pokey spair room where they do everything the can to mime to the imaginary crowd they're 'driving wild' with their 'skills'... and hand gestures, costumes, social media links, 20 different trap songs that all sound the same, etc.

• Like 1

90% of these sets are terrible, shit selection, weak juggles and cuts, silly miming.

Even the top guys in this comp are pretty cringy to be honest.

The way I see it is these are club sets so you should be able to dance to it but the songs played are horrible, find it hard to actually nod my head to half of them.

Why are so many of these guys doing the same shit as each other, I watched 3 different sets of dudes doing the same idea with " make it clap " by Sean Paul, or get low by Lil Jon etc.

• Like 2

This is the one that prompted my rage...

It seems people are trying to juggle, going through the motions and not caring/being oblivious to the sound being way off, but thinking it's ok cos it's the same movement done by a decent tablist....

painful isn't it.... I'm all for people starting somewhere, and these competitions are giving a great window of exposure for people who wouldn't normally have one, but it's as if having 8gazillion social media followers qualifies you to pretend you're a turntablist. I long for the day Vekked and Jon enter and make the competition go and cry in their hugely expensive home studios, although they're probably too oblivious to the difference to be affected!... I certainly wanted to do that when I saw their DMC online sets!

I miss the days when it was too dark in clubs to see the DJ, they didn't do photo shoots cos nobody cared what they looked like (ugly and munted generally) and apart from the quality of the sets they played, their only publicly acknowledged claim to fame would be questionable urban legends about how many drugs they had taken or stupid things they'd done after taking them.

• Like 2

I don't think skills are important Rob. These days, nothing says your at the party of a lifetime like the DJ miming all the inane lyrics of the shit song they're playing, especially if said lyrics are about what a wild time you are having.

and the body tricks ;-)