Stairway to plagiarism (slight return)

danswift

Here we go again..its lawsuit time

y'know its almost laughable

what this "tribute" band have gotten away with over the years,but this is the big one now and the icing on the cake so to speak ,and I for one have been watching this case and waiting for it to come to court for over a year now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/entertainment-arts-36022876

(Quote.)

"Stairway to heaven is widely acknowledged to be possibly the greatest rock song of all time along with the track whole lotta love "

(Source:) every cliched lazy rock journo ever whos ears dont work properly...

Oh yeah,..Whole Lotta Love .. I almost forgot that they didnt write that one either

@Rock Well .. ever heard Dazed and confused by Jake Holmes written and recorded in 1967 ? Jimmy Page took that one also and used it word for word and again stole the musical structure ,Jake had opened for the Yardbirds on a US tour the same year Page joined the band and would play Dazed and confused every night ,years later when it went to court Page claimed hed never heard the original and insisted it was just a "musical coincidence" he also forgot to mention there was a bootleg of Jakes song that the yardbirds had recorded after that tour was over and that Atlantic records had tried to suppress it from being released for many years

Guest petesasqwax

Murky shit! I think the thing that I'm most disappointed about is that they don't refer to Randy from Spirit as Randy California :(

• Like 1

Yeah I hear you on that one,i happen to like Spirit as a band ,its such a damn shame that Randy himself wont benefit from any of this in the end..during his lifetime he never had the money or resources to sue Page and Zeppelin ,I read a few articles some time ago where he said he was bitter and dissapointed that he never got to have his day in court

Guest petesasqwax

Such a fucking amazing dude. How mindblowing is it to think that Spirit - the album that "Taurus" was actually on - was released when he was SIXTEEN YEARS OLD! SIXTEEN, for fuck's sake!

• Like 1

I know 16 years old,. quite remarkable when you think about it . Ed Cassidy who was the drummer in Spirit was actually his step father if I recall it rightly...

Have you ever listened to the Potato Land album by Spirit ..its truly fucked up but in a good way :((

Yeah music copyright laws are fucked up you are absolutely right there..the problem with Led zep for me personally is the fact that they literally just took songs wholesale from black blues artists and other genres of music for that matter (as in the case of Spirit) and claimed them as their own personal work,a lot of people leap to their defence and say they were just paying homage to the artform when thats plainly not true,then theres the ridiculous argument that these blues artists we're virtually unknown at the time and we're somehow deemed irrelevant by the late 1960s so their music was deemed fair game for bands like Zep to plagiarize,what these bands did in that regard was calculated and wrong as they knew the original artists they were ripping off couldnt sue them ,a lot of those originators were either dead or living in poverty,they didnt have the resources to take on huge corporations like an Atlantic records or EMI,I know a lot of folks really like Led Zeppelin and I can understand why but it just depresses me when I have to start explaining to them that no, they didnt actually write these songs they like so much in the first place

Old news round these parts, but probably before your time here - but he's come into the record shop twice now. IRL he actually comes across as a really nice guy... but still, let us never forget that he got where he is today through other people's talents and being born into a position of priveledge.

I bet he thought, hmmm I know what I can do, I come from a rich family why not hire some cool session musicians and make some music that other people have already made in the 1970s and then put out an album and pretend I wrote it all by myself,.. then I can take over the world

and what people also forget is that Mark Ronson is responsible for taking two of the most unattractive women ever to walk the face of the earth in the form of Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse and making them into stars ,thus subjecting the great uneducated masses to even more of his evil scourge of shit music..

and for those reasons alone he should face the death penalty

Except Ronson actually had very little to do with Winehouse, despite the media constantly tellzing us otherwise.

If there was any one producer really responsible for her success it was Salaam Remi and she said do herself. But he's not gonna sell tabloids and weak music rags.

Well hes partly responsible then but thats still enough for me lol..Ahh yes Salaam Remi.. im glad you mentioned him,..when I think of him as a producer of records the names of Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas and Jordin Sparks immediately spring to mind so along with Mark Ronson hes also charged with crimes against music. :d

Guest petesasqwax

It's crazy how much Gabe Roth and Co had to do with Amy Winehouse. Obviously they got ripped off royally - no royalty points, just flat session fees regardless of how much arranging and writing they did :(

• Like 1