any problems with the DJM S9?

Just wondered how this was going as haven't heard any negative reviews, have any minor problems surfaced yet? Are any Rane users wishing they never got rid of their 62's for the S9? I'm guessing with the cheaper price you miss a lot of the build quality of the 62 and may eventually end up paying the same in replacement faders/dud pads etc but it would be encouraging to hear if that's not the case!

Guest rasteri

My mate has one, he's totally happy. And in general pioneer build quality/repairability is on a par with Rane IMO (sometimes better).

• Like 1

My mate has one, he's totally happy. And in general pioneer build quality/repairability is on a par with Rane IMO (sometimes better).

Sounds good....I had the 909 and whilst lifting it was a hernia-inducing experience, it was built to last!

Guest broke

The sides of the S9 bend slightly when you push on them. One Dj I know compared it to an ice cream container. So it isn't quite the tank that the sixty two is.

• Like 1

Generally people seem happy but I know 2-3 guys who went back to the 62. There aren't glaring flaws with the S9 (aside from the fader cut-in without a laptop hooked up, which may have been fixed?), but there are features that it doesn't have that the 62 does.

Also both mixers have a different "workflow", which is kind of an interesting thing that is only just starting to become a consideration in 2-channel mixers. 62 and S9 are the first two high-end mixers on the same DVS system, and when you try both you can see how they implemented the exact same feature in different ways with their own advantages/disadvantages. So it becomes sort of like choosing production software or something, where both mixers can do a lot of the same stuff but the way of doing it might be better or worse for how you perform. Looping + effects are the areas I find both mixers to be pretty unique so far.

Generally people seem happy but I know 2-3 guys who went back to the 62. There aren't glaring flaws with the S9 (aside from the fader cut-in without a laptop hooked up, which may have been fixed?), but there are features that it doesn't have that the 62 does.

Also both mixers have a different "workflow", which is kind of an interesting thing that is only just starting to become a consideration in 2-channel mixers. 62 and S9 are the first two high-end mixers on the same DVS system, and when you try both you can see how they implemented the exact same feature in different ways with their own advantages/disadvantages. So it becomes sort of like choosing production software or something, where both mixers can do a lot of the same stuff but the way of doing it might be better or worse for how you perform. Looping + effects are the areas I find both mixers to be pretty unique so far.

cool that is some invaluable insight thanks Vekked!

Vekked's already said what I was gonna say - make sure the tight cut on the fader stays without a laptop plugged in!

The only other negative point I've heard about the S9 is that Muzzell wasn't allowed to keep his after making those 4 routine videos he did while he had one on loan. C'mon Pioneer, he fucking killed it!

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

As a repair dude, the thing I like about pioneer kit is that it's not just built to last, it's built to be repaired. The service manuals are great, parts are readily available, and they're normally easy to dismantle. I don't think I've ever had to totally write off a piece of pioneer kit.

A few weeks ago someone took in a DJM600 that's suffered 15 years of abuse and drink spillage. None of the channels worked and the thing was generally nasty. Couple of hours work (mostly cleaning tbh) and £20 in parts and it was good as new.

Rane build quality might be better, but parts are harder to come by and their kit just doesn't come apart as easily. I haven't serviced any 62s yet though.

• Like 2

I always remember that Rane seemed to provide great customer service to those people in the US - which makes sense given that it is their local market and they manufacture all their stuff there (e.g. people would get stuff fixed for free, spare parts sent straight out etc.). Probably doesn't translate as well to a ex-US standard distribution model.

• 1 month later...

I traded out my 62 for a Gold S9 and I can tell you the S9 build quality is no way as solid as the Rane. I've had a number of issues after heavy gigging.

I had my 62 in my UDG creator bag for over 2 years doing the same spots mostly with a lot of travel, no damage. After less than a month I made the mistake of leaving the RCA blanking adaptors in the back of the S9 and putting the mixer in the same way I stored my rane, bottom down. I didnt drop my bag but it may have had a hard putting down at some point, accidentally of course. Anyway long story short a knock to those adaptors bent in and snapped my RCA master and bent in my Aux input both of which are out of action now. Probably my fault but I can tell you after opening it up to remove the master RCA that the inputs are flimsy and the metal back plate bends in easy.

I also opened up my bag last night to find my crossfader stem bent forward, like hedspins but not snapped. The cap was off and I've just superglued back together the little retaining clip for it. The fader caps have all worn down to black slightly around the edges too and as far as I know they dont do the gold ones as a replacement part yet.

I do love the mixer and although I prefer the Rane's echo and awesome build quality I wouldnt go back. I would however have bought a heavily padded bag or flight case!

Plus points for the S9 are its pads, its fun factor, sound quality and it looks good. If Rane built a similar mixer I'd be looking to jump ship I think....

• 4 months later...

still haven't freed up the funds to get one of these yet! Quick question I had from watching the S9 the other day - One of the things I like most on the Rane is the knob (oo-er) that lets you cycle between songs on serato - Does the s9 have an equivalent? cheers

So this is random, but can I use Dicers with an S9. i'm going to be DJing with an S9 next week but used to a 909 and dicers. Even tho the S9 has the same functions I really didn't like the built in buttons on the Rane 62(?) and so figure the S9 will be just a tad better then the Rane. Also I heard you can't have different modes at the same time on different turntables which would be super fucking lame since I usually have one TT on hot cue and the other on loop. Anyone have insight??

it's fair easy to do but would take a couple of minutes. you'd need to press one of the 4 pad menu buttons in the middle 3 times (or hold shift and press one of the pad menu buttons twice - depends on how the mixer is set up) until it displays 'user mode'. you can then midi assign the features you want in serato as you would an external midi controller.

You could set it so you have the first row as 4 cue points, then the second row as loop controls, then repeat the same for the other channel.

If you have a buddy with the mixer I'm sure you could save that as a midi setting on your serato at their place then load them when you connect to the mixer at the gig

• Like 1

You could set it so you have the first row as 4 cue points, then the second row as loop controls, then repeat the same for the other channel.

Now that would be perfect.