Me Sweet Lorna Routine

First things first - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7JF3... is the rather wonderful original Sweet Lorna by Tommy McCook & The Supersonics, which RockWell sampled for the routine. I think Matt/RockWell made his version 4-5 years back, around then Rob Abbott (MadAbbott on DV) brought his multi instrumentalist brother Matt down to the Rye studio to play some horns and keys over RockWells beats, I must dig out the footage of the jam we had.

Fast forward 5 years I needed some material for my Bristol SSS routine that Symatic bullied me in to.

I pretty much stumbled across the folder RockWell must of shared with me years back and the above is was what I muddled together.

For control over the backing track elements of the routine I thought I'd give NI's Stems a go and there's definitely scope in the format. Jus from the point of working out a routine, it's really useful to have four parts which can be manipulated on the fly instead of having to bounce edits to and from your DAW. Earlier versions of the Sweet Lorna routine I used saved loops to manipulate the backing track, where in this version Stems as backing gives a bit more control, filters, cutting different parts in and out etc.. Experimenting with making Stems tracks is where the power in the format will be dope for scratch dj's, whats not to like about 4 layered digi scratch tools :)

(I'm also bumming Stems to bandwagon ahoy while NI are promoting the format, gotta get my lame views up some how)

Any way, hope you enjoy x

• Like 5

Excellent stuff!

I love what you've done with this. I'm continually impressed with how you always switch things up, both with the tools you use and styles of music you're prepared to cut up. Of course I'm biased, but it goes beyond that - by straying outside the well trodden sounds and musical genres that have been done a lot on turntables, you've made something that instantly catches my ear and stands out from the crowd IMO.

Three random thoughts...

The original Tommy McCook track is one of my all time favourite records I own, such a tune and so left field for its time.

Damn, I really need to finish the track I started making a half a decade ago!

Also, I really need to chase up Matt for more of his excellent skills. He was up for it before Xmas, but the festive season got in the way.

• Like 1

It kind of reminds me of the avalanches..(thats not a bad thing by the way ).its got that sort of "frontier psychiatrist" vibe to it.. sounds dope dude. dont know the original though so I will have to check it out on youtube... I gotta hand it to you Rock your taste in music is obviously pretty far and wide ,which can only be a good thing in my opinion

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Noice! Less ODB that before if i remember right. Your instrument cuts sound sweetest on this track so far, IMO. 9 tt murder points out 10 tt murder points to you.

• Like 1

wicked! is that a technics on the desk? youve changed....

My bad! I was using at as an old fashioned record player though, I definitely wasn't put there to keep it real or out-philosophise anyone.

Dan - yup, I think I'm the only person alive who would honesty want my whole record collection. This version just uses the filtered bass and a couple guitar stabs off the original record though, so don't be surprised if the sampled original bears little to do with this.

This all Paul and all credit to him - it may have started from a beat I made and some recordings of our mutual friend jamming for a couple of minutes on top of that, but neither of us took it here or even imagined it could do so. Paul's ability to pull together fresh, original turntablist routines that utilise newer DJ technology (that many tablists shun) and scratch skills whilst always putting the music first are really quite something IMO. Interestingly, based on a lot recent scratch social media chatter at least, the Stems and Remix Deck parts of Traktor he's using are miles away from the much maligned pre-production. The stems just give you four track beat loop with faders for each part and the remix decks just allow you to load up lots of individual sounds to one deck, summoned by a cue button for each sounds. All you've actually got is one loop and some one shot sounds on pads and a record and faders, it's totally up to the DJ to put them all together live. With this routine and others, I've seen Paul go off on long freestyles with them making different versions of them every time.

• Like 2

It kind of reminds me of the avalanches..(thats not a bad thing by the way ).its got that sort of "frontier psychiatrist" vibe to it.

Hard to imagine now but I remember that tune being in the charts and getting heavy rotation on Radio 1, pretty sure it was a similar time as dilated peoples worst come to worse was also getting main stream love.....

It kind of reminds me of the avalanches..(thats not a bad thing by the way ).its got that sort of "frontier psychiatrist" vibe to it.

Hard to imagine now but I remember that tune being in the charts and getting heavy rotation on Radio 1, pretty sure it was a similar time as dilated peoples worst come to worse was also getting main stream love.....

I remember seeing Dilated perform that live on The Pepsi Chart on Channel 5, on Valentine's Day. It was a bit surreal seeing Babu, surrounded by heart-shaped helium balloons, cutting up a Mobb Deep sample to a crowd of clean-cut teenagers!

Sorry, off topic :)

• Like 1