And the winner of the Police Story battle is...

DJ Rock Well

Guest Symatic

i did actually totally cheat for all those reasons :) so it is a hollow victory but it was a dope battle, really enjoyed listening to everyone creations and yeah with more time i would happily make a whole album of beats from that record :)

for the record (ba-dum tss) i only mentioned it in passing on tinychat and a couple of dudes came and voted - i just wanted them to join up to DV to get more peeps on here - honest :)

likewise more of the dv massive should link on tiny - we used to have the odd beat battle on there too where you'd have like an hour to do something

Are we allowed to recommend or make suggestions

of what albums might be cool for future battles ?

I was just wondering as ive got a few in mind

that id love to hear you all have a go at ..

Guest Symatic

96 plays? How many people did you send it to??

check my mixtape yo, its fyaaaa like and share thx 4 the add #lolbutseriously

totally!

Totally mate! I never set out for this to be a dictatorship, it just sort of happened ;)

I've already got one ready to go tomorrow evening, so would you be up for doing next month?

There are no rules as such, the only preferences I have though are...

I like the sample source to be a whole LP rather than just one song - the are loads of sample flip contests out there already and they all invariably make you all sample just one song. Apart from trying to do something a tiny bit different, I find it's more fun when there's some limits imposed but not so many that everyone just gets stuck or more likely makes similar sounding beats. I find a whole album has enough tying it together to give an overall sound/vibe whilst still giving a few options. Also, going through your own process of what to use on an LP and then comparing it to what others went for, has definitely been part of the fun of these battles for me.

Other than that, the record needs not to be too shagged - character is one thing, totally unlistenable is another. A wav recording is preferred too (as mp3s are for children) and ideally the record needs to have a few bits on it that sound ripe for sampling - stating the obvious, I know. Plus I know you know your music so that's not a concern in this case, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Like I say though, these are just my opinions on what I think works, not unbreakable rules!

• Like 2

Well done Sy & everybody else too.

I had another listen through last night but couldn't decide which was my favourite between Sy, Fayc & Dirk's so didn't get my vote in- sincere apologies! It was interesting to hear the beats without checking the source material first. Good work one & all.