10th Anniversary of J Dilla's death

Dan

I liked Runnin and Drop and a few other things, but SV, Donuts, Welcome to Detroit and many other things he's lauded for, especially the later stuff, doesn't get me that excited.

Don't get me wrong, he's done stuff I do really like and I appreciate his role as a pioneer who started a lot of trends (for better or for worse), but my life really wasn't changed and if I had to go to a night of just his music, I'd probably get bored in the end.

I liked Donuts but I preferred AME's mix of the sample sources. Having said that, he has made some beauties.

I'm not sure I could handle going to a night dedicated to one artist, whoever they were.

I went to one of the early nights back in maybe 2007/8 and to be fair I am biased as I'm a huge dilla fan what I did find tho is because he did production for so many artists, it kind of didn't feel like a dedication to just dilla in the sense that there was loads of features so it didn't get stale.

Dilla's stuff is countless. I've recently discovered another 100 demo beats he had circulating around...But this has to stop at some point. That Dillatronic album which was released this year was straight wack. he would have never approved that shit for release. I strongly believe the same for Donuts too. Compared to his actual last album (Ruff Draft), that shit was just idea sketches, and they released it after his death. This has to stop at some point.

Even now I still keeping finding out he was responsible for some of my favorite beats. Truly one of the greatest.

Lol. I recently learnt he made Stakes is High, one of my all time favs.