Returning warped records..

kut_class

I bought a new record and it's warped. In the past I've always sucked it up and accepted that's the nature of vinyl, however I do know people that have returned them and got refunds / replacements. I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Wondered what you guys typically do of you get a warped rec ?

I always contact the shop to see what they say. The last time I bought a warped record it was from Juno and they had no copies left to send me a replacement, so they gave me a full refund and let me keep the record, which was nice.

Personally I would consider warped records to be faulty, so you should be covered by the usual consumer rights regarding faulty goods.

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Personally I would consider warped records to be faulty, so you should be covered by the usual consumer rights regarding faulty goods.

This :rolleyes:

Also if your paying by PayPal then your within your right to open a dispute claim but I would always recommend you speak to the seller before filing a claim. As in my own personal experience the polite and up front approach normal work 9 times out of ten to get things resolved quicker.

Also don't use Paypal to pay by credit card for items over £100 on the internet as using your credit card via PayPal voids the extra protection you get with your Consumer Credit Act 1974, Section 75 rights.

I rarely buy records online for this reason and if I do it's usually from someone like Amazon because I know it will be easy to return. I'll buy on ebay too but explicitly ask before bidding and request a refund if it arrives warped.

PS. C&P sort out everyone that has received warped records. Most of the time they've been warped in transit, which really sucks but not the receivers fault. The only weird one was someone sold on a warped copy and mugged his mate off, his mate complained to us about the warp, which kinda left things awkward..

I don't know if any of you guys have heard of Thirsty Dragon ? they will de-warp almost any record for a relatively low fee .They have some pretty cool machines they use to 'wash' vinyl and then its heated and straightened in a sort of trouser press type thing.I know a lot of serious collectors use their services I dont have their full web address to hand but im sure they are still around on the internet...hope that helps

Sorry guys I've been looking all over the internet but I cant find Thirsty Dragon anywhere anymore ,maybe he's fallen into the de-warping machine and is now a 2d disc floating through the ether ,but I did stumble across this site. www.vinylflat.com it looks a bit strange to be honest but may be worth investigating. ...also i remembered that one of my dads mates who is a complete audiophile owns a de-warping machine although I dont know if he would be willing to provide a service or not ,I would have to ask him about it but who knows if the demand was there? Its a shame more record shops dont provide this service to be honest especially if you've got something that is rare or unique to have to pay shitloads to replace it, if you could use a service like that for a fraction of the cost

You could always invest in a halogen lamp I suppose,... you know the ones I mean (used to grow certain plants) dont pay by credit card for one though or else you could get a suprise early morning visit from our flat footed friends in blue lol

I found this just now..."Needle to the groove' records in fremont california in the bay area have a de-warping machine at their store and it says they charge $15 per record and guarantee the results ,hmmm dunno about shipping costs though lol

Guest Symatic

yeah the de-warping machines i've seen online are all about the trouser press style as far as i know....

the glass method i havent tried yet cos up til recently i only had one bit of glass that was the right size.

basically you stick the record in between the two sheets and stick it in the sun for a bit - but yeah, thats not gonna happen any time soon. i might experiment with some other heat sources.....

the super clever way to do it would be to have circles cut out of the glass to match the label-area of the record as its a bit thicker there so to get good even contact between the glass and the record you'd want that section cut out and place a donut shape bit of glass on both sides of the record.

i think the fact i've got glass thats bigger than the size of the record it will hopefully kinda squish down around it a little? i dunno.

if the sun ever comes back i'll let you know :) maybe i'll be able to cut with the ultrapitch side of my scratch science 10" :)

I read about someone earlier on today who has been doing the glass plate method , he was basically saying to put some heavy wooden block on top of the plate and just go away and leave it for 2-months and it should have flattened by then ,..but I think thats to long to wait especially if you need the records quickly and also how heavy is heavy in regards to the block of wood ? hmm I like your ideaa more to be honest as regards to cutting the glass to size (how thick the glass is I dont know ) and my idea of using halogen lamps to heat it at 200/400 watts,as for weighting it down maybe try experimenting with some of those old cast iron gym weights,especially if you could get ones that are the size of the records you want to press flat

maybe i'll get some lamps...... you know... for records

I've read about people who put the record between the glass sheets in the oven for a whille then take it out and put more weight on. Makes sense since what you want from the sun is heat too, but you get the added risk of melting the record very easily.

Or you could move to Spain, we have sunlight to spare here :p

• Like 1