Anyone used Ableton Link...

broma

Can't be far off 10 now can we?

I honestly can't remember the differences between 8 and 9.

More recently they made simpler a lot more powerful (and less simple lol), so now you can do warping on all your chops which can be cool. It can also be annoying if you just wanna keep things simple.

I don't think live 8 had convert melody / harmony to midi either did it? that stuff is the shit, gotta say.

• Like 1

It works great! just need more apps to support it now

How've you been using it man? Just wondering from a recording perspective how you'd work it? Have the devices running through an outboard mixer into a computer? :S

Guest petesasqwax

been thinkin of the upgrade to 9, is it worth it 9 users? they asking for 89 pound for the upgrade i think

To me, the convert to midi melody function is one of the most important aspects of Ableton.

ok noobish questions im unsure of, as iv never upgraded ableton as yet, if i upgrade to 9 will it turn my 8 app into 9 or will i hav both?? just cautious of the stuff iv got saved, cos im thinking, if i save all current live8 projects, i wont b able to open live8 project up in live9, right??

Guest petesasqwax

No mate, whole new ball game.

This takes sample data and converts it into a midi channel - so it finds what notes are being played in the sample and puts that data into a new midi channel which you can then turn into whatever vst instrument you want

Does this video illustrate what I'm meaning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOkQlyvA3xc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not that I'm aware of. I've always wanted Ableton to implement time sig and tempo changes via master scenes on follow actions but it's still not happening. It's not in any Beta versions either.

Anyway, sorry for the thread derail, I just like telling people that in the hope that it will create a massive movement of people who want the feature implemented. A bit like the Million Man March or the Peasants' Revolt but with more people wearing glasses.

Tempo change via master channel playlist is possible. Type/rename "xxxBPM" without colons and xxx as value and when you hit the playlist clip it will jump to the new bpm. Key signature maybe is more difficult but maybe there is any maxforlive device already done for this issue/control. Not sure about follow actions issue... Do you want to playlist go one to another as usual channel follow actions?

There are isotonik xl mfl patches which maybe give you some interesting tools for remixing and so. I think there is even one to record some kind of automation in session view ;)

Don't worry about your Million march, I just asked because sometimes I'm not sure about full understanding english and I prefer to ask instead to say "yes yes" or go nuts directly xD

I hope it helps.

Back in topic maybe it could be possible to control transport bpm tempo changes from another app in "Link" with ableton...

• Like 1