Traktor/Serato on a PT-01/Handytrax?

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

I've got a mate who works with NI so I've asked him a few things and I've just dropped HiFiBerry a line asking if they have an option with 2-in/2-out or, obviously, ideally, 4-in/4-out. Any feedback I get from either side I'll put in here

On the turntable side, would it be best to get an old PDX, for example, and take the inner workings from that to build into a new case - potentially making a 7" or 10" platter as there'd be no real need to have a 12" one - or would it be better to start with the inners of a PT01 and then look to add a direct drive motor and proper tonearm to that (would both those things be theoretically possible or am I essentially keep very little of the PT01 if I do that?)

Guest rasteri

Weird, I thought I posted this earlier but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyway I reckon the best way to get a decent 7" direct-drive is to use the motor/platter from a Numark NS7/V7. You also get built-in record position sensing so you could do away with the tonearm entirely (IMO digital is the way to go for portable turntables).

You'd need to generate a 3-phase PWM signal to drive the motor's transistors but that's totally doable from a raspi.

Likewise, the position sensor from a NS7 is probably just a quadrature rotary encoder, if so it's easy to interface with a raspi.

That cirrus logic soundcard will work. Shame it's only 2in/2out.

Guest petesasqwax

Using the NS7 platter etc. would make a lot of sense further down the line, but I think the first step is to make it work with vinyl. In that respect, is there any reason I couldn't use a PT01 initially?

Guest petesasqwax

Beautiful news - I'm buying the shit out of all of this stuff right now.

My shopping list is:

Raspberry Pi 2 B

7" touch screen & case

Power supply

Cirrus logic soundcard

PT01

I've got a Raiden on the way to tide me over until the Rasfader mod touches down, which should work in terms of a proof of concept

Also I have the Conectiv if needs be

Xwax looks like it wants a v1 Traktor control record but I only have v2 so I guess I'll need one of those too.

Guest rasteri

I'd just buy a serato record, they're usually cheaper than traktor ones and xwax reads all versions. It doesn't care that you don't have a serato box.

Oh also, maybe try out xwax and linux in a VM first if you're not familiar with them, you'll need to know how to compile and install linux programs etc and developing on a raspi is quite fiddly.

Guest petesasqwax

Excellent advice - will do. Is there any reason why I couldn't buy a 10" Serato record and cut it down to 7" to use on the PT-01? It would, in theory, still work, right?

Guest rasteri

Although, xwax used to only support absolute mode. I think they added relative mode for some controllers (I wanna say dicers?) and if that's the case you should be able to hack it to support keyboard cue points I reckon

Guest petesasqwax

Guest rasteri

Yeah that's what I was talking about when I said the NS7 probably uses a quadrature rotary encoder. It's pretty much the standard method of rotary position detection.

My scratch controller started off using something similar (I printed the black/white pattern using a laser printer and transparent acetate sheets) but eventually I moved to 14-bit magnetic rotary encoders which worked great but were overkill (something like 4x the resolution of serato).

29052008101.jpg

Guest rasteri

Eh I had a working prototype but it was mono-only, didn't support MP3, the sound quality wasn't great, etc. It ran on a shitty microcontroller because there was no such thing as a raspi back then. It wouldn't be a hard project to resurrect.

• 2 months later...

I put some resources about this in the pt01 thread but it could be possible to use satellite ccrma distro to do realtime audio in raspi. About dedicated raspi soundcard there is the Wolfen-Oluffson one which could be useful. Also there is a workaround for usb 1.0 sound cards to make it work with raspi (all in the ccrma googlegroup).

About android vs iOS the thing is iOS has coreaudio and coremidi hardcoded in the system for few hardware units meanwhile android has numerous hardware (so many different audio chips) so it requires someone like Samsung dealing with their custom SO and someone like Mixvibes dealing with djing. It seems they are awaking but nothing near djplayer DVS in iOS devices.

At shared google drive anyone can find the rasteri scratchbox files with another resources related.

;)

Edited by Mutis Mayfield