Yeah yeah I'm an idiot mpc problems

FUNKY 9

So it all started when I somehow tried to put a cf card in my 2kxl reader the wrong way round which damaged the pins in the reader. As a result that reader is now a glorified toaster if I try an put a card in it, it cooks them.

So I managed to get my hands on a replacement but unlike my originally reader it was not hot swappable so I needed to update the os from 1.14 to 1.20. Great I swapped the floppy drive out about 10 years ago an long since threw the old floppy drive away. Fast forward to last night managed to get another floppy drive but somewhere along the way I fucked it. Pretty sure I shorted the drive some how as I could smell burning although I can't rule out it was the mpc, it does seem like it was the drive I could smell. Now

If I turn it on regardless of which ever drive I try an connect or even no drive I get the message insert mpc 2000 xl and all the lights are on.

From reading I'm thinking I've possibly blew the SCSI fuse? Anyone else experienced anything similar? Cant believe I fucked again lool

Ha. I see this type of thing with arcade games all the time. You pretty much don't know what you're doing and you've fucked your shit up but at the same time you're learning how to fix the thing (maybe?) Mostly likely, you're now at a point where fixing this is going to be far beyond a simple replacment of a fuse. You could get lucky, but that burning you smelled is probably not a blown fuse. If you're willing to dump hours and hours into learning some basics then you might be able to stumble through fixing it.

If you really just want your MPC fixed then it's time to send it off. If you can find somebody who also does some refurbing then you will hopefully put off future repairs for a long while in the process.

If you want to learn how to fix it too then buckle down and brace yourself because you'll make lots more mistakes before figuring it out. You need to take it apart and take a good look at what's going on. You might have shorted something when you orignally messed up your cf card. Electronics are a bitch man. It's so easy to cause massive problems by doing something some really simple thing the wrong way. I've never fucked up my audio gear for some reason but I've fried my fair share of arcade PCBs by putting a harness on backwards, etc. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to fuck shit up to learn what you're doing. I've found that at some point I end up doing more damage by trying to fix things and I should have just sent the damn thing off for repair. The trick is figuring out where the tipping point is.

That sucks about your card reader. I've got one of the hotswappable ones and they're really handy.

Edited by Jam Burglar

Yeah sounds like you need to take it to a repair shop :( Where are you?

Gloucester about a half hour from Bristol. Think I may send it to jazzcat

Previous to me killing this drive the mpc worked ok apart from not being able to use the cf reader so Savin wasn't possible which was a major ball ache. Before I got this floppy drive I had another but it didn't work with the mpc but plugin it in it lights up which shows it recieving power but the one I damaged does not light up at all an I'm pretty sure that's where the smell was comin from but my nose is far from scientific haha

The thing is I'm really not sure how I fucked it as I made not to swap everything with it on as i know that can cause the SCSI fuse to go. I'm wondering if I made an error some how with the ribbon cable but I'm pretty sure I kept the red stripe on the first pins. If I could work out what i did it would help sus out what to do. I think at this point I'd be best sendin it off as my soldering skills ain't all that lol all though I did manage to sort the Rcas on my old 05 :-) then again my mpc is far more precious to me haha

Edited by FUNKY 9

So it all started when I somehow tried to put a cf card in my 2kxl reader the wrong way round which damaged the pins in the reader. As a result that reader is now a glorified toaster if I try an put a card in it, it cooks them.

So I managed to get my hands on a replacement but unlike my originally reader it was not hot swappable so I needed to update the os from 1.14 to 1.20. Great I swapped the floppy drive out about 10 years ago an long since threw the old floppy drive away. Fast forward to last night managed to get another floppy drive but somewhere along the way I fucked it. Pretty sure I shorted the drive some how as I could smell burning although I can't rule out it was the mpc, it does seem like it was the drive I could smell. Now

If I turn it on regardless of which ever drive I try an connect or even no drive I get the message insert mpc 2000 xl and all the lights are on.

From reading I'm thinking I've possibly blew the SCSI fuse? Anyone else experienced anything similar? Cant believe I fucked again lool

Dude. I would never have tried to downgrade the OS especially to install a non-hotswapable reader.

You probably corrupted or overwrote your rom with the OS--hopefully just wrote over the OS somehow. First step I'd do is remove the reader. Then buy/borrow either an external MPC cd-drive or zip drive. Then get your OS and you gonna have to boot off the drive (hold RECORD and OVERDUB when you turn it on to boot off the external) then save it back by going into the load screen-saving and restarting... Unless you corrupted the memory then you will probably need to replace it.

You might need to try it a few different ways depending on how you jacked up the f-rom. Check this thread if what I wrote above doesn't work... http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153475

I didn't wanna change the os either but I was told that the only way to get the non swappable drives to work was to be on 1.14 and I couldn't find another hot swappable drive

Because I never even started the process of updating the os do you still think it could be related to the f rom? I didn't actually even get past this insert disk screen with all the lights on after I swapped in the floppy drive

That's what seems weird but my understanding is when you get that message the OS is corrupt or missing. I've seen other people have similar issue in the sense of wasn't really doing something that should affect the OS but it still did somehow. It's weird but I would think the first place to start given the symptom. On the up side, now's your chance to downgrade OS lol. Always a silver lining 😝