Scratching with the platter off

Motek

So I seem to be doing this a lot more as it tends to give me better record control, especially on small baby type scratches like boomerangs and chirp flares. Although It's not so great for stabs.

It might be just because my turntable (SRT8150) has pretty massive torque or maybe I just have weak hands ;)

Anyone else scratch with the platter off?

Guest Symatic

definately the platter off thing helps with manual pitching control.

all the different decks ive used have a different feel to them, and the stanton platter is pretty heavy which seems to give a more solid, chunky sound as the platter resists whatever movement you apply.

Vestax platters are lighter and i reckon they lend themselves more to tapping the side of the platter to get pitch changes like mix master michael.

I found the numark has a fairly light platter but the smooth sides to it meant it wasn't as easy to do that with it.

So I seem to be doing this a lot more as it tends to give me better record control, especially on small baby type scratches like boomerangs and chirp flares. Although It's not so great for stabs.

It might be just because my turntable (SRT8150) has pretty massive torque or maybe I just have weak hands ;)

Anyone else scratch with the platter off?

I'll have to start doing that. I have really poor hand control and been trying to figure out how to improve it. Been mostly trying to scratch without the fader to work on the record hand but not with the platter off.