Fixing the little door/flap on an optical port

Steve

I plugged an optical cable into my sound card and the little door/flap that's part of the socket snapped off and fell inside my PC.

Assuming I can find the little fecker, will I be able to fix this? If not, are there any good alternatives for holding the plug securely in the socket? The little flap is part of the mechanism that holds the plug in place, so without it the plug just rests in the socket and can easily fall out.

Guest Symatic

Depending on the type of port it is you might be able to buy a similar port, pry out the flap bit and replace it on yours, if not it could be a case of soldering a new one in but that will probably be tricky....

.... Sellotape the cable in place?

Guest rasteri

If someone brought it to me to repair I'd just replace the socket, but as Si says that will require soldering.

If we can figure out the part number and order a replacement a local repair shop should be able to do the job. Could we maybe have a picture?

Guest rasteri

They're Toshiba TOSLINK transmitter modules. There should be a little code written on the back of the module, probably TOTX147/TOTX177 if it's the transmitter or TORX147PL/TORX177PL if it's the receiver. That'll tell us if it's the 3v or 5v version.

Guest Symatic

I only suggested that after seeing someone mention it on avforums....

It seems there are different types, getting a look inside your bit of kit will probably tell you how possible that is....

I only suggested that after seeing someone mention it on avforums....

It seems there are different types, getting a look inside your bit of kit will probably tell you how possible that is....

It's really hard to see how the flap attaches. I got a magnifying glass out and had a look, but I'm still not sure, lol. I haven't found the flap yet either, but I think it's inside my PC case somewhere.

have you got inside your soundcard to see it? or are you looking at it from the outside?

The card is as shown in the pics I posted above, so there's not really anything to get inside. It doesn't have a case of its own.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can find the flap, as I heard it fall inside my PC's case, then I'll see if I can reattach it somehow. Even if I can't, the socket is permanently in use anyway, so maybe I can wedge the flap in between the top of the plug and the top of the socket.

Guest Symatic

sorry i totally missed your obvious post with pics hahah

yeah theyre pretty hidden.... i'd go with the "stick it in place with tape" or "jam a cocktail stick in it" method :)