Aspect ratio issues when encoding a video

Steve

I've got a DVD that I'm trying to rip and encode to MP4. The resolution of the video on the disc is 720 x 576.

When I play the DVD in Media Player Classic, the image is stretched horizontally, so it's 16:9, unless I uncheck "Keep aspect ratio".

When I try and encode the video using Handbrake, it detects that the resolution is 720 x 576, but the encoded video has a thumbnail with a widescreen aspect ratio and again, when I play it in MPC it's stretched out to 16:9 unless I uncheck "Keep aspect ratio".

Any idea what's going on here? I'm not sure why the encoded video has a 16:9 thumbnail, nor why the video plays in widescreen unless I uncheck that "Keep aspect ratio" option. What I want is a video that has a thumbnail with the correct aspect ratio, and plays in the correct aspect ratio without me having to change any settings, but I can't figure out why I'm not getting that when the resolution of the video is 720 x 576.

Guest Symatic

maybe you need to encode it but lose the top and bottom, because the dimensions are for 4:3 as it is, and the only way to make that fit with no letterboxing is to chop those bits off...

at least with letterboxing you dont LOSE anything, it just looks a bit oldschool with the bars

Guest rasteri

I'm fairly sure that all PAL DVDs are 720x576 whether they're 4:3 or 16:9, but the widescreen ones have extra metadata that tells the player to stretch the video to 16:9. Maybe MPC is just detecting the metadata wrong?

What codec/container are you ripping the DVD to? I take it the original DVD is 4:3?

I've only tried playing the DVD with MPC, but unless I uncheck "Keep aspect ratio" it stretches the video out to 16:9. If I uncheck that option, the aspect ratio is correct during playback, although clearly the rip via Handbrake is not right as the thumbnail for the video is also 16:9.

I think whoever did the mastering on this DVD set the wrong aspect ratio for it, but I don't know how to fix that when ripping it. I've tried ripping to both MP4 and MKV.

Guest rasteri

Yeah it does -

I managed to force one of my 16:9 MKVs to 4:3 using this option. Just add the file into the input section, click on the video stream, and change the aspect ratio to what you want.

There's probably an equivalent tool for mp4s if you search.

I have no solution and am no help,

i'm just pissed that every new version of handbrake doesn't have the specify file size feature... or the ability to convert to avi.

There's a cinema room in my apartment building, and the dvd player's usb port will only take avi's that are below 1gb... so it's a pain in the hole.

@steve...

yeah i've tried on the mac, i think it was from version 9.4 that it all changed, and whenever i tried9.3 on my mac it wouldn't install, and it would hang for ages when opening on the PC.

must give it another go.

I just use Freemake video converter whenever i'm desperate.