Revenue from Vinyl Sales in 2015 is Higher than YouTube and Spotify Free Combined

djdiggla

I saw this the other day then again today on Mass Appeal... whats most surprising to me isn't how much vinyl makes but how little youtube and spotify (albeit the free spotify) make.

http://massappeal.com/revenue-from-vinyl-sales-in-2015-is-higher-than-youtube-and-spotify-free-combined/

The original article was even more shocking which claims vinyl generates more revenue than YouTube Music, VEVO, SoundCloud, and Free Spotify COMBINED... I guess again that's youtube MUSIC... whatever that is. But seems like digital streaming music pays shit is the lesson.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015/09/24/vinyl-generates-more-royalties-than-youtube-vevo-soundcloud-and-free-spotify-combined/

Of all physical sales CDs take 2/3, vinyl 1/3. (in reality much of the second hand market isn't even counted)

It won't be long before vinyl sales will exceed CD sales, they just opened up a vinyl pressing shop nearby, ill take a visit there and negotiate about the prices.

Who would have thought that 20 years ago? Good times ahead.

^^I dunno where those stats come from, but here's the album sales stats for the first half of the year in the US: -

CD: 56.6 million

Digital: 53.7 million

Vinyl: 5.6 million

Those figures are tracked retail sales from Nielson/Billboard.

As for streaming, the number of tracks streamed in the first half of the year was over 135 billion - almost double the figure for the first half of 2014, so that's the real growth market in terms of consumer demand.

I love vinyl and it's great to see sales rising, but I think digital sales and streaming would have to completely kill CD sales before vinyl starts to outsell CDs and I think we're a loooooong way off from that happening. People have been predicting the death of the CD for quite some time in the same way that people said "vinyl will be completely dead in X number of years" when CDs came out, but the sales show that people clearly still love buying albums on CD - more than they like buying them digitally still.

those Nielson figures don't represent total sales, places like Discogs or 2nd hand stores are not registered sales and in the US you got a lot of boot sales too.

But the official physical figures show like 10% Vinyl, 90% CD thats correct.

As far as the high vinyl prices, manufacturing CDs is cheap, doesnt mean i want anything on vinyl, actually most current rap i don't even want for free (they got cheap rap vinyl at hvv.de you get them for free when you earn enough bonus points, so i took some bags and record brushes instead)

those Nielson figures don't represent total sales, places like Discogs or 2nd hand stores are not registered sales and in the US you got a lot of boot sales too.

They don't represent total sales for CDs either, as tons of those are sold used - almost certainly way more than records. Also, if you're looking at demand, you have to include digital music piracy to some degree.

I don't think used sales really matter though. Those sales have already been counted once and further sales from person to person don't do anything for the artists, labels, pressing plants etc. It's only when people buy new that they benefit.

I wonder how they count vinyl with digital download codes. That's the way it should be done IMO. If I'm gonna buy the music let me buy an actual physical copy and give me the download for free.

I love getting a free digital version when I buy vinyl, especially if it's on Bandcamp where I can choose FLAC as an option. That way I can listen to the album straight away and I don't need to rip the vinyl, which always sounds worse than getting FLAC files converted straight from the mastered originals of the track.

• Like 2

talking about used vs new..i bought a couple of new reissues lately and found out the sound was total crap, the only good sounding reissue i copped was Techno City by Cybotron on white vinyl.

As much as i want to contribute to the original artist i do prefer used over new, unless of course its a new song.

I sold my whole record collection last night. I'm feeling very very weird about it currently.

Esh. I just thinned mine drastically in the past year and thought seriously about axing a shitload last night but just can't do it.

Manufacturing costs aside, I'm pretty sure they're marking vinyl way the fuck up. I bet the margins are a lot better and they're pretty much selling to the "collector crowd" these days so they can get away with it.

The guy who started sleeping bag records is opening a manufacturing plant in Brooklyn, here are some of the costs to start something like this, so when ppl complain about vinyl being too expensive then they should realize that exesiting pressing cannot keep up with demand and they run on 70/80s technology thats almost impossible to rebuild.

$800,000: real estate in the east Brooklyn neighborhood of Brownsville; $15–30,000: one record press (Socolov acquired four); $6,000: shipping on a record press, from Russia to New York (dealing with its duplicitous seller was, according to Socolov, “the biggest crock of shit”); $10,000: repairs on record press; $10,000: massive hydraulic pump; $25,000: shrink-wrap machine (new); $65,000: boiler, for heating the water that will power the presses themselves; Unending: electricity, plumbing.

BVW's Will Socolov and Nick Jett. Photo: Nathan Perkel for Vulture

"The shrink-wrap machine, the compressor, the tanks, all the plumbing, the electrical, buying a transformer, forklift, shelving — believe me, this shit adds up,” Socolov says, sitting in his money pit, a brick building from the atomic age with a cardboard-and-Sharpie name placard on the front door so you know it’s official. (Brooklyn Vinyl Works launched a failed Kickstarter in June, asking for less than one tenth — $100,000 — of these expenses; the campaign raised roughly half.)

• 3 months later...

New presses hit the market: https://www.ausdjforums.com/topic/16267-brand-new-vinyl-record-pressing-machines-enter-the-market/

I would love to learn how to make lacquer discs for vinyl production. Would be cool to do something like that for a living.