Control Records: Serato 2.5 vs the Performance Series

djdiggla

What's the difference between the Serato 2.5 and the performance series, if any? Both say they are 6db louder than the last iteration so track better... so are they really the same ish?

I read one is maybe heavier and thicker but read somewhere else the only difference is colors which is because Serato sells one while Rane sells the other but fundamentally the same thing.

I have both, 2.5 feels heavier for me, and heavy vinyls suck

Yeah some people on the Serato forum said the same thing--2.5 seemed heavier and they went on to say as a result it was better quality timecode ...but I was thinking like you that heavier would suck for mixing and scratching. Great for audiophile 180 gram presses but who would want that for Serato??

I'm still rocking the 2s, although they seem to be getting harder to come by. The 2s are lighter, and I always have weird issues with the 2.5s, but I haven't tried them in about a year so maybe they improved something but I swear they wouldn't track backspins in some of my juggles half of the time so I quit using them. Other people had issues too and someone speculated that the volume was TOO loud and wasn't being tracked properly anymore when you spun it fast and it got even louder. Not sure if that's a real thing or not but seemed to make sense with what I was experiencing.