£250 to spend on a Mobile Phone. What would you get?

Blak Randy

I dunno if anyone remembers but a while back I put a post on how my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact’s camera didn’t work right. Then the call volume dropped. Then it basically all fucked up.

I sent it back to be repaired under warentee and they are refusing because it now has a cracked case. They are saying they will not repair it. Esenitally saying it’s my fault. It actually isn’t because the issues were there before that . I have even offered to pay for the replacement cracked case and they cover the defects but they are trying to shaft me. I am not sure what else I can do though.

Anyway they are saying I will have to pay £250 for a replacement phone but I’d rather spend the money elsewhere than give a single penny to these c*nts.

So I’m gonna buy a phone out of contract. Just wondering which one you guys would suggest? Obviously the cheaper the better. The one good thing with that piece of shit phone was that the battery lasted well.

My main requitrments would be

Decent battery life if possible

Good camera

Actually works and doesn’t fall to pieces.

Any suggestions men?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honor-4G-Dual-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B0144OCV72/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440777030&sr=1-1

It's also available in white. Reviews have been good so far. Here's one: -

http://www.slashgear.com/huawei-honor-7-review-27399494/

The OnePlus Two is another one to consider, but you need an invite to be able to buy one and there's a lengthy queue.

I think those 2 are your best options by far at the £250 price point as in many respects they're up there with phones that cost twice as much.

EDIT - Shit, the Honor 7 isn't out until September 30th according to the product page on Amazon.

You can get a refurbished HTC Rezound for cheap. Battery is okay, but the sound is amazing; way better than my laptop, which is suppose to have a legit speakers. I've had this phone for 3 years and it's totally fine.

My friend showed me his new Amazon phone last night. It seemed super cool. Might look at getting one next time I upgrade. cheap too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Honor-4G-Dual-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B0144OCV72/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440777030&sr=1-1

It's also available in white. Reviews have been good so far. Here's one: -

http://www.slashgear.com/huawei-honor-7-review-27399494/

The OnePlus Two is another one to consider, but you need an invite to be able to buy one and there's a lengthy queue.

I think those 2 are your best options by far at the £250 price point as in many respects they're up there with phones that cost twice as much.

EDIT - Shit, the Honor 7 isn't out until September 30th according to the product page on Amazon.

Cheers man. Reading up on the honour 7 now. It looks good.

Thanks everyone. I'm reading all reviews at the minute.

Much appreciated as usual men.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go then guys. The technology retard is back. So I'm gonna go for either the Honor 7, OnePlus Two or Wileyfox Storm.

This is what I can make of it. What you guys recon?

Oh yeah. For my personal preferance the things I would like are a handset that ioporates at a decent pace. No sticking and lagging. As much battery life as possible. A good camera. Back and front (Need to be able to send selfies to the 19 year old girls you meet on Instagram : )

Huawei Honor 7

£250

Bad battery performance is a concern. Apparently it didn't perform too well in tests.

Low level lighting photos are not meant to be great. This was my big issue with my shitty sony. Most pics I take are in darker places at night. Bars, Clubs etc. Of my drunken dumb friends. With the sony it was impossible to take an in focus pic if it was half dark> Even with the flash on it would be totally out of focus and just look like a white blob.

Other than those 2 things everything else seems decent.

Oneplus Two

Approx £280

No SD Card Slot but Does this really matter? I doub't I'll ever fill up 64gb

Aparently this one has good low light shots but slow camera speed? God knows what that means?? any ideas?

This has a smaller camera. 13 Mega Pixel. 5 Mega Pixel on the front. (I don’t even know what a mega pixel is haha). Does this really matter?

Battery is supposed to be better than the Huawaei.

Wileyfox Storm

£200

Not much info yet. Does anyone know where there is an actual review where they have actually tested the phone? I haven't found one on google.

I think it says that it uses the 20megapixel sony camera. I 100% don’t want it to be like the 20 Megapixel camera that was on my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. That camera was a total heap of shit. Probably worse than phones I had 6 years ago. You think it will be the same camera?

Other than that, I haven't seen any actual reviews on the battery and stuff.

Any idea which way you guys would go? This shit is a minefield.

you've no chance of getting a oneplus two in the next few months. I'm something like 80,000th in the list and falling from 24,000, and I had the oneplus one which supposedly puts me in high priority on the list. that said I put a paypal dispute in on mine which might have killed me off the list.

I loved the oneplus one, it was an amazing phone until it completely fucking broke after about 5 months - the software was borked by cyanogenmod (the official software provider) because they hadn't manufactured to wide enough tolerances. I'd love a oneplus 2 if it works forever but it probably won't and it's probably going to fail to actually ship in meaningful quantities. just a hunch...

you've no chance of getting a oneplus two in the next few months. I'm something like 80,000th in the list and falling from 24,000, and I had the oneplus one which supposedly puts me in high priority on the list. that said I put a paypal dispute in on mine which might have killed me off the list.

I loved the oneplus one, it was an amazing phone until it completely fucking broke after about 5 months - the software was borked by cyanogenmod (the official software provider) because they hadn't manufactured to wide enough tolerances. I'd love a oneplus 2 if it works forever but it probably won't and it's probably going to fail to actually ship in meaningful quantities. just a hunch...

Oh well. Looks like it's one of the others then man.

Thanks. Hope that works out for you.

"Megapixels" typically refers to the number of pixels that make up the image, so if you have a 20MP camera and you take a photo at the highest resolution, the image will be made up of around 20 million pixels. All other things being equal, the more pixels that make up the image, the sharper it is and the better it looks (at least, when looking at the image on a large enough screen or zooming in).

The main issue with using MP as the major (or even sole) selling point of a smartphone camera is that all other things are usually not equal, whether it's other aspects of the camera hardware, the software, or a mix of both. You can have 2 smartphones that use the exact same camera sensor, but one company does a better job with the software than the other and one phone takes noticeably better pics than the other. That's why you can't rely on the numbers alone and need to read reviews.