Compton - Dr. Dre

Bubba

This album bangs. I know some of you aint feeling that west coast vibe but Dre really brought some polished work on this album. Genocide with Kendrick is my jam right now, that shit knocks hard......

Don't know why it took Dre so damn long to come out. He was saying how he felt that Detox was a lot shittier than this. But I'm sure there are Detox tracks on Compton. Smart on the Dr. to donate all the proceeds of this album to Compton. Gunna have to donate some more to get that good tax break still.

Guest petesasqwax

For whatever it's worth, I'm not even slightly interested in checking this. Dre basically squashes all the life out of his samples, to my ears. He makes Axelrod chops sound like a VSTi. A friend of mine loves to tell me how he "invented the widescreen sound" - I like to tell my friend that he's an utter, utter cunt. We're not as close as we once were as a result

• Like 2

For whatever it's worth, I'm not even slightly interested in checking this. Dre basically squashes all the life out of his samples, to my ears. He makes Axelrod chops sound like a VSTi. A friend of mine loves to tell me how he "invented the widescreen sound" - I like to tell my friend that he's an utter, utter cunt. We're not as close as we once were as a result

Pete, you contentious fellow!

Actually I'm thinking hard and I can't name a single Dre beat I really rate... or possibly even can tolerate

I'm probably giving you information that you already have or don't need...

But in case you didn't know, more often than not Dre's "samples" are replayed/recreated by his team of session players and crack team of engineers. It's so he can lose that displeasing grimey sound that would never work in a genre like hip hop that needs to be widescreen to succeed :)

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Ha - hence him recruiting Scott "Bankrupt From Hosin' The Nose" Storch et al to replay all the samples. I never understand this: if it was good enough to make you want to sample it, why is it no longer good enough once you HAVE sampled it?

It's the same with Beats headphones - Dre just couldn't get that sound he was looking for from all the existing brands so he had to make his own. Same for his cutting edge range of HP laptops. Dre makes all his own stuff, because there's nothing out there good enough for him...

Except his raps, he buys them in from anyone who's selling.

Also, when I say he makes all his own stuff, I mean he pays a team of talented experts in each field to do it for him... except for Beats headphones of course, they're just cheap shit from China painted red with a 'b' on the side so you feel like you're getting something for the 3000% mark up you're paying.

Whew, just keeping track of all Dre's business is exhausting. It must be really hard for him, I hope he's getting adequately compensated for all his hard delegating.

• Like 1

I think he recreates samples because paying session musicians is cheaper. You only have to pay for the publishing rights & not the recording rights. I was surprised that 'nuthin but a g thang' was replayed - I didnt realise that until I got hold of the separate stems. Im pretty sure the horn bit from "the edge" is a true sample but yes the plucked string recreation sounds really weak in comparison.

I think he recreates samples because paying session musicians is cheaper. You only have to pay for the publishing rights & not the recording rights. I was surprised that 'nuthin but a g thang' was replayed - I didnt realise that until I got hold of the separate stems. Im pretty sure the horn bit from "the edge" is a true sample but yes the plucked string recreation sounds really weak in comparison.

Purely my own speculation Mike, but looking at the timescale of Dre's sampling practice I've always assumed that sample clearance issues set him on the replaying path and then he grew to like the clean sound and easy to mix beats and made it his thing. He certainly started doing it when sample clearance became a big issue and he has all the options in the world to dirty up his sounds, but doesn't.