The Best 50 Trip Hop Albums of all Time (Fact Mag)

Mike-L

http://www.factmag.com/2015/07/30/50-best-trip-hop-albums/

Interesting read. Good opening line too : "Like it or not, trip-hop is a thing. I say this as someone who, for the past 18 odd years, has loved the music just as much as I’ve hated the term."

Be aware that for some reason it automatically plays a seemingly unrelated Boiler Room set at the bottom of the page when you click on the link.

• Like 1

Skipped to #1. Didn't agree. Left it alone

Does this make me a knob?

Possibly. It all depends on what your choice for number one was ;)

It's funny how this so-called genre is still much maligned to this day, yet it does include some very good albums... but yeah, can you imagine the shame of telling people you're a 'Trip Hop DJ'?

Well i bailed after they said Justin Warfield's album was trip hop.

Meat Beat Manifesto was what got me...

Guest petesasqwax

I checked if it was any of the pollsters were former NME writers first and when they didn't appear to be I figured it couldn't be "the Jimmy Paige of the sampler"

If you have to go for Bristol, picking Tricky over Massive Attack marks you out as being worthy of a prod with the shitty stick at the very least. That's what my Nan always said, anyway, and she even used to do Tricky's version of PE at the local karaoke so you can hardly accuse her of being a Del Naja/G/Mushroom fangirl

• Like 1

Interestingly, at the time I prefered Maxinquaye over Dummy and never owned any Massive Attack until very recent years of taking home the odd thing from work, because I felt like I should have some in the collection just so I could say I had. Haven't played any TBH.

I always knew I was supposed to like and respect Massive Attack, even back in the day... But it always sounded too smooth and like something older people put on when they had friends over for dinner.

#contentiouspostoftheday

• Like 1

I checked if it was any of the pollsters were former NME writers first and when they didn't appear to be I figured it couldn't be "the Jimmy Paige of the sampler"

If you have to go for Bristol, picking Tricky over Massive Attack marks you out as being worthy of a prod with the shitty stick at the very least. That's what my Nan always said, anyway, and she even used to do Tricky's version of PE at the local karaoke so you can hardly accuse her of being a Del Naja/G/Mushroom fangirl

I dunno!

Dummy and Blue Lines are both great, consistent albums, but for my money the best songs off Maxinquaye are better than anything they ever did. To my ear, Maxinquaye is more varied, more experimental and less boring than those albums. Basically, I fucking loved Maxinquaye when I was twelve.

Also, hello.

Guest petesasqwax

I preferred Portishead, for whatever it's worth, but Massive Attack was basically the ship that trip-hop rolled into port on the back of - that's how I see it.

Back atcha, Flarezy, my man! :d

Massive Attack was basically the ship that trip-hop rolled into port on the back of - that's how I see it.

That is true, but so is the fact that the first DJ to entertain a crowd with two turntables was Jimmy Saville :d

Bad jokes aside, over time I came to agree that Dummy was a better album than Maxinquaye, although I didn't like Dummy at all when I first heard it but immediately loved Maxinquaye.

The question I'm still not sure of, is wether either one of them was better or worse than Endtroducing?

Guest petesasqwax

Personally I can still very much enjoy Endtroducing whereas I find it hard to enjoy Dummy without wishing that Beth didn't sound like she was channeling a pantomime wicked witch

• Like 1

I'd be suprised if Shadow ever referred to his music as "trip hop". I thought "trip hop" was just a term that white people used to prevent hip hop from getting its credit due. Sort of like "mash up". But hey, maybe it's a thing after all. I finally found Mezzanine on wax. I have a DJ Krush CD. I'm a trip hop junkie.

Guest petesasqwax

If James Lavelle hadn't loved the term "trip hop" he wouldn't have used the phone message of Shadow saying it as the intro to the original UNKLE EP ('Time Has Come'). Whether Shadow likes it or not, JL ensured he wore that tag like a badge of honour, at least in the UK press, for as long as it took to stick thoroughly, then he kept Shadow in the news by having him refute it whenever possible. Say what you like about Lavelle, his PR acumen was pretty much flawless around that period

I'm not sure many of any of the 'trip hop' artists were/are happy with the name.

Apart from the many other reasons to dislike the term, the way it lumps together many disparate albums of different styles for genre comparison they don't warrant is just plain silly.

In other news, arguably my favourite album this time and scene, DJ Krush's Milight (the full album with interviews/soundbites and the full track list that only came out on CD, sadly) didn't even make the list. I'm not sure if that's because it was just a hip hop album and not quite 'trip' enough or wether it's just highlighting the flaws in this flawed list of a flawed non-genre.

Guest petesasqwax

In other news, arguably my favourite album this time and scene, DJ Krush's Milight (the full album with interviews/soundbites and the full track list that only came out on CD, sadly) didn't even make the list. I'm not sure if that's because it was just a hip hop album and not quite 'trip' enough or wether it's just highlighting the flaws in this flawed list of a flawed non-genre.

MiLight is one of my favourite Krush albums, too & one of my favourite albums per se, as it goes.

For whatever it may be worth, when people say "trip hop" I assume they mean female singers over breakbeats and think they refer to Sneaker Pimps. I treat them with appropriate scorn

• Like 1

So we've established that there were some great albums and many more shite by numbers, jump on the bandwagon, these labels will sign anything right now efforts too. And that as a genre it's deeply flawed simply because it lumps together too many wildly different albums that have nothing in common other than none of them want to be labelled as "Trip Hop".

I think the one thing you have to say for all Trip Hop though...

Is at least it isn't Acid Jazz.

Guest petesasqwax

I think the one thing you have to say for all Trip Hop though...

Is at least it isn't Acid Jazz.

HAHA! the truly ironic thing is that when I was writing "when people say "trip hop" I assume they mean female singers over breakbeats" the thought occurred to me that if you substitute "female singers" for "sax solos" you arrive squarely at acid-jazz... which is where the doyen of trip-hop, James Lavelle, started out when he launched Mo'Wax... "the more things change, the more they stay the same" as they say in the banlieues of Paris

I know!!! You couldn't make it up!

I recall Shadow saying his first ever tour of Europe was doing DJ sets in support of an Acid Jazz band. It sounded like he was as appalled with his co performers as the audience was by this American kid playing straight up hip hop at an Acid Jazz gig (like a dinner party for professional couples, but slightly bigger).

Guest petesasqwax

hehe - I remember one of my mates taking a Parlour Talk record round to a mutual friend's place and me having to talk him down by explain that Acid Jazz was just the label they were on, not the content of the 12"