Ghostface Killah/Action Bronson beef (sigh)

Steve

Action Bronson was on ESPN's SportsCenter when he said this: -

He then posted a handful of tweets to clarify that he didn't meant to disrespect Ghostface as he's one of his idols, but then for some reason, he deleted the tweets.

Ghostface then responded with this: -

You might need to use a US proxy to watch that as it's blocked in some countries due to the Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes tune playing in the background.

Action Bronson has now apologised publicly on Twitter.

Maybe this was all bullshit designed to promote albums and sell records, but even if it was, it's still fucking stupid.

I saw this and at first i thought it was unwise for Bronson to diss the artist he's made a career out of mimicking - then I saw the Ghost video where he basically threatens Bronson's life with "shooters in every state" - talk about a disproportionate reponse!

Ghost is a fucking child. Has anyone seen that clip of some reality show where he's on with his Mrs. (who might be a stripper or something?) and she's telling him off and he sits there like a kid who's told he can't have an ice cream?

This is what happens when you release an album age 20 about being in some weird made-up gang that's a cross between the mafia and a bunch of lethal buddhist monks and your public then affirms this view for 22 years so by the time you're in your 40s you think you're actually that.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

This is what happens when you release an album age 20 about being in some weird made-up gang that's a cross between the mafia and a bunch of lethal buddhist monks and your public then affirms this view for 22 years so by the time you're in your 40s you think you're actually that.

Dopp.... Youre officially old and boring :) wu tang is for the children

Regardless of their IRL personas, Ghostface is one of the greatest MCs IMO. His style is original and I'm afraid I can't hear Bronson as anything other than a Ghostface karaoke act (his spot on the new Gangrene single really irks me on a track I otherwise like). I've tried to like Bronson and he is a good MC, but I just can't get past the similarities.

Funnily enough, I have managed to get past the Nas similarities with Droog. Whereas a lot of people I know love Bronson without question but not Droog for the same mimicry reasons. Each to their own I guess. For me, Droog just happens to have a Nas-esque voice and is making the kind of records I wish Nas was still making, whereas Bronson sounds a bit like he's 'doing the voice' when he raps (like Iggy, but not as bad).

Guest petesasqwax

I feel that Droog/Nas and Bronson/Ghost are effectively 2 strands of the same thing: i.e. they come from the same area as on another and, allied to similarities of regional accent, happen to have very similar voices. The subject matter of Droog's stuff is as different from Nas's as Bronson's is to Ghostface's.

To simplify: Bronson raps about weed, women and food, occasionally stepping outside of that to reference obscure sportsmen and Albanian gangsters. Out of those, the only topic that they share is women - and that puts them in the same realm as over 90% of rappers. Ghost raps about coke, cars, kung--fu and is the kind of Quixotic person who drops lines like "I fucked you when you was bleedin'!" for reasons I'm not entirely able to work out, even after all these years.

What gets me about this is that Ghost is 45 and is a veteran of over 25 years in rap release terms. He's opted not to say anything all this time which, in my mind, showed an element of class and suggested that he was above this bullshit (out of interest, has Nas spoken about Droog at all? Is he even on his radar?). He obviously feels that he needed to speak out after Bronson's remarks, but why do it such a comically over the top way?

For whatever it's worth, I listen to Bronson a fair bit, but, outside of giving his Adrian Younge collabs a try, the only interest I have in Ghost is encapsulated here

• Like 1

Yeah, I think you've nicely summed up the logical argument there Pete. The content of these rapper's raps certainly sets them apart.

Usually I don't get bothered by two people who sound alike (Sean Paul and Supacat possibly as the exception). My head wants to agree with you (there are some Bronson tracks that I really do like) but every now and then there's just something about Bronson's flow that just gets me... like a feeling of doubt that you try to ignore, but it just won't go completely. I think it's a flow thing for me with Ghost/Bronson as similar voices with different content doesn't bother me at all... just occasionally there's something in Bronson's flow that I can't detach from Ghost and then it sounds learned rather than natural.

I do agree that Ghost hasn't been knocking out anything essential these days, but then he is an old man nearly 25 years deep into his career so I don't expect too much. I'd rather compare similar times in their careers if we're going down that road.

Then there's the other issue, that Ghostface doesn't even sound quite like his classic self these days...

Speaking of soundalikes, has anybody else here ever heard NOE from Bird Gang? Or Jay-mini-Z as I like to think of him.

In terms of Ghost's over the top response video, I have no idea. As with many other occasions in his career, I really don't know if he's 100% serious or not. See him in interviews and he seems to belive his own facade... but I don't know, he's done some pretty daft stuff over the years.

You deserve a slap for saying Ghostface is old at 45! :p

I would have replied earlier to that, but I was busy recording a video over the top of an Eddie Holman song where I say I'm going to send some people to kill you.

• Like 1

I'd rather would said that cocaine is a hell ova drug don't ya think?

AB was kinda right about Ghost not rapping like he used too. I haven't paid much attention to Ghosts releases in the past few years. I'm actually listening to 'Sour Soul' right now. It's decent but it's not the Ghost from way back when. But that's just rap. Rappers change over time. My favorite version of Ghost would be the Supreme Clientele, Fishscale, More fish days.

But AB did spit some BS on that interview. It was a dumb shot. But Ghosts response, aside from the numerous quotables, was wack. Can we take it back to the battle days and just keep the beefs on wax? What's with the Youtube responses? WACK. Apparently Ghosts PR people posted it on Reddit as well. SMH......

I love Ghost, he's an OG of this game. I like AB, don't listen to much of his stuff, but I like him for his over the top antics. But I would love to hear bars instead of dumb ass youtube/twitter rebuttals. Soft!

Guest broke

This is all well and good, but you're all overlooking the fact that Ghost's video response is the best thing he's done in years. It's basically his 'Real Talk'. It's the sort of thing that inspired the Big Ghost Fase blog. If it were recorded in a studio it wouldn't be out of place on the Pretty Toney record.

Guest petesasqwax

This is all well and good, but you're all overlooking the fact that Ghost's video response is the best thing he's done in years.

I'm all too aware of that, I'm afraid, man. That statement says everything about the quality of his recent work and very little about that video, sadly

Guest broke

This is all well and good, but you're all overlooking the fact that Ghost's video response is the best thing he's done in years.

I'm all too aware of that, I'm afraid, man. That statement says everything about the quality of his recent work and very little about that video, sadly

How many rappers have managed to maintain momentum for even half as long as Ghost? Look at Nas. One or two quality albums and then a bunch of so-so records but the man's a legend. I mean, I haven't bought anything from Ghost since More Fish. No wait I did but The Brown Tape - but only for the instrumentals. So yeah, I'm saying your expectations may be too high.

Also, the Enjoy Your Summer video is pure Ghost. It is the essence of everything that made him so appealing. It's The World According to Pretty Toney without some Sony creative types to mitigate Dennis Coles at his purest.

And that also answers the question about cooking shows. Ok so it was basically all about canned tuna or cereal, but there you go, that speaks volumes about this whole 'beef'.