flares on rane

pedostyle

Guest Deeswift

Yo man, welcome up here.

I guess it's like a modded fader mate, with the cut in point right on the edge of the slot and instant on / off like a phono switch. It's supposed to be easier to do flares and stuff on a fader like this! I reckon you just need to get used to it.

Guest Mike Reezy
anyone have troubles doing 2 click flares on a rane ttm 56?  find its quick cut in is too fast for me to do 2 click flares correctly...is more practice required or hopefully im not the only one thats crazy?

Yo I had the exact problem and even made a post about it :)

Anyways, bone up on the time and kutt on the 56 more, youll get used to it.

My modded vestax is actually faster kutt in, and I dont like the light+loose focus fader feel either, but after I sold my 07 so I could get my QFO and had just the 56 to kutt on, I got over it in a few days.

I still prefer my Vestax, but I am fine with the 56, its more of like it just feels weird for 30 seconds now.

it takes alot of practice to get used to another fader. i couldnt do more than 1 click flare the first 2 minutes of my new rane 56. took 2 weeks to get all of my skratch back and a month to get used to it. after skratching on unmodified vestax PCVs stock again, i said oh shit and put the springs back to restore the harsh tention because i couldn't cut anymore on slow ass PCVs. but it would be great to learn / master all fader - ALPs to Focus fader to Rane 56s.

thanks for the replies.

i watched the turntable tv annual specials 1 and 2 that my friend has...oh my god....the shit rob swift, the allies, babu and all them pulls off...i wanted to just do my own style but that stuff was so :s

anyone ever wonder why you almost never see yogafrag scratch?

maybe he pales in comparison to q :s

but yeah i have a focus fader and im so used to it now, the weight kinda pisses me off a lil still coz its so light, but the cut in time is nice. i used to want to get a p&g coz i thought it was the shit, but right now i cant afford anything. i like the 56 fader though, ive only cut on one of them once.

i guess i'll have to wait for that eclectic breaks fader, it better be bloody cheaper than the p&g.

Gap your fingers al bit to pronounce the silence. Try not to grip the fader, the looser your fingers are, the cleaner the cut will sound. Try angling your fingers a little so that they 'roll' off the fader gently.

Fast cut-in times are difficult to get to grips with. They'll come, practice.

Guest Deeswift

Good advice, Liam. I do the same thing, the fader button just kinda hovers between my fingers rather than gripping it all the time.

hmm just trying to visualize your tip....ive been watching se7en's tutorial for his 2 click flare tutorial...and ive noticed the "snapping" motion that rob swift does also that is impossible for me to get thru my lobes haha

thanks for the tips :) great community

i think i still grip too much, it's a tricky thing to get right.  on rafiks recent practise vid his thumb seems to grip a lot, kind of looks like he's transforming even tho he isn't..

Well transforms are best done gripping the fader because the technique is to grab parts of the sound from the record and doing that over and over.

find its quick cut in is too fast for me to do 2 click flares correctly...is more practice required or hopefully im not the only one thats crazy?

I talked with DJ Quest last month about his crossfader curve setting, he likes to turn it a little to the left to decrease the slope cut in time. I got to use his Rane and his settings didn't disturb me. Try doing that if its too fast, turn it a little counterclockwise to the left; just imagine all the guys who talks about 1 millimeter cut in distant would say about this.

find its quick cut in is too fast for me to do 2 click flares correctly...is more practice required or hopefully im not the only one thats crazy?

I talked with DJ Quest last month about his crossfader curve setting, he likes to turn it a little to the left to decrease the slope cut in time. I got to use his Rane and his settings didn't disturb me. Try doing that if its too fast, turn it a little counterclockwise to the left; just imagine all the guys who talks about 1 millimeter cut in distant would say about this.

you fuckin serious?! quest is one of my favorite dj's! i love his style. i kinda got the idea in my head you have to have it in the fastest cut in time to have real skills....gah. thanks for the help all

Edited by Sinergee

Not true, very fast cut in time can work against you. I can do alps with 4-5 mm cut in time and it will sound like a 2mm Rane 56, except crabs. Just be quick and you'll barely notice the difference/important of cut in time. Its important to be an all around fader person so you can skratch with all kinds of mixers, even stock PCVs muahah.

Guest Deeswift
Not true, very fast cut in time can work against you. 

Dude, it's whatever you're used to.

Liam saying that a curve can clean up cuts? No chance. If your cuts need cleaning up, you need practice!

Tight cut in on a fader forces you to be precise. Spend a year or two cutting solely on the line switch and you'll see what I mean.