tablist tech fantasies

http://djworx.com/turntablists-what-more-do-you-want-from-technology/

Djworx put up the article above about what tablists want from the future technology. Got me feeling all excited and creative, but actually struggled to think of things ...

- loopstation in a mixer with footswitch control (my fav ! ths could be sick for turntable music)
- qfo style all in one ( everyone's buying handy Trax and frisk / raiden faders)
- midi control for pitch on decks with usb connection - well backtracks pretty much done it - only said USB as i seem to have a friggin ton of them cables and midi cables are precious
- a midi controller designed for that deck nice and mountable with scales programmed in ( I.E. upgrade Ur decks to a c1) - i've seen someone do touch sensitive things with tons of wires hanging about, but they look well delicate , would be nice to see a more robust approach to the idea ... tbh the conductive paint thing kicks ass over this in a way, where u can just draw on your buttons !! but i get tactile buttons could be the better idea too ..
- no laptop dvs setup, dsp in the mixer, plug a usb for hd and wireless connect a screen to see whats goin on. - would be so nice not to carry a laptop , just hook up a phone or tablet to just project a GUI.
- for one deck mixing, on the deck, a dedicated button that shifts the playing track across to a free virtual deck thats identical, and also buttons to jump back and forth between virtual decks - maybe a motorised pitch fader (like u get in digital mixers) to match the virtual decks. Would be nice to have a few virtual decks, so one turntable can become many.

...if you could have ANYTHING what would you do ?

I know this is kind of do-able in a general sense, but I'd quite like my turntable to be a perfect digital replica with all the same tactile control but no skipping EVER. I'm not sure what the closest to this is in reality - a straight arm deck with DVS on relative mode?

Guest Symatic

wicked ideas ad. i'd like a mixer with dvs in it, like a djm909 where the screen acts as serato.

yeah a good portable deck that had ultrapitch...... pretty niche tho :)

i want a turntable company to make a good deck again more than i want extra buttons though

Guest rasteri

Yeah I like Deft's idea of a digital turntable that doesn't rely on the frankly archaic method of reading timecode with a stylus. I suppose the Tascam TT-M1 and the Numark V7 is the closest we've had to that, but I'm thinking more like a CDX/HDX with a USB port on the back and without any CD drive.

The turntable could be made much lighter since it wouldn't have to have vibration damping, the resolution and latency could be much improved, and you'd only need to plug in like 3 cables to have your entire setup instead of the 9+ you need with a typical DVS.

Also a totally portable digital scratch practice tool, like the VTT101 but with a USB slot and better : http://www.digitaldjtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/DJ-Tech-VTT101.jpg- I built a sort-of working one years ago but I didn't really know what I was doing, I really should have another go sometime

With the Z2, you've got great DVS integration, post fader effects and a software loop recorder. But the loop recorder is pre-fader or just master record or something else rubbish I forget. Basically, it's bloody close. If they could just add a foot pedal input or two and make it work as we'd all want it to, that would be great.

Otherwise, like Si said, just having companies make hardware for turntablists again would be my main wish, regardless of technological advances. Right now your new options for a scratch mixer are Rane, Z2 or Dj-Tech and the only turns are the Hanpin OEMs in various states of dress, badging and (over)pricing. Dark days.

I just want a looper that combines the best features of a few different models. Separate input and master effects. 4-6 channels (with volume faders) that are ACTUALLY independent of each other so they can be different length loops. Ability to overdub active channels to a free channel (to free up channels for additional loops). MIDI master/slave clock capability. Tap and dial bpm options. Desk top unit but has a usable and rugged footswitch. Simple "Bar" system like the KP3 but a maximum of 24 bar sample length instead of 16 like the KP3. Option to quantize loops if desired (that actually works unlike a lot of Boss gear). Flashy lights. Maybe some titties.

• Like 1

I just want a looper that combines the best features of a few different models. Separate input and master effects. 4-6 channels (with volume faders) that are ACTUALLY independent of each other so they can be different length loops. Ability to overdub active channels to a free channel (to free up channels for additional loops). MIDI master/slave clock capability. Tap and dial bpm options. Desk top unit but has a usable and rugged footswitch. Simple "Bar" system like the KP3 but a maximum of 24 bar sample length instead of 16 like the KP3. Option to quantize loops if desired (that actually works unlike a lot of Boss gear). Flashy lights. Maybe some titties.

word up.

Also, three words "Lazers man, . . . . Lazers"

• Like 1

My problem with the Z2 is outside of all the fancy extras, it's not that great of a scratch mixer. Make a version that has line faders that are exactly the same as the crossfader (i.e. not stiff), and that has full curve control for all channels and full channel swap/hamster controls.

Some of the Rane mixers get it right, but they're considerably more expensive than a Z2. If doing the above added £100 to the RRP of a Z2 it would still be much cheaper than a high end Rane mixer like the 62.

Outside of that, I'd like a drone with camera in it that I could fly over Vekked every time he leaves his house and when I press a button, it drops an egg on his head. That's a product that's only very loosely linked to turntablism, but if Native Instruments could get right on that, that would be great.

• Like 3

I want a big box with six buttons on. Each button makes a noise like a bomb, glass smashing, a siren, a man shouting "WANK!", a lady saying "do me" and a fart noise.

I definitely want one of those dop!

I cant believe ean golden aint thought of that already?

Steve

I rekon the jaunty angle would deflect any aerial asault.

On the new tech idea here's my angle.

Interactive battling.

You mount a device on your mixer and your opponents in an online battle if you lose the battle it spits water at ya while clown music plays in the background. For added realism you could replace the water with ur opponents piss! Or at least say you have :)

Now tell me a vekked vs rufftone battle with piss face humiliation for the loser wouldnt be the best thing you ever seen!

Guest rasteri

Oh really! I always assumed it was... it's still Numark though, so that's one black mark against it :)

Yeah I'd never advise someone buy them now because the ST-150 is basically the same price, but there was a time when TTXs were like £450 a pair new, and that's ridiculously cheap for how good they are.

If I had to replace them I'd probably just go for two of those £250 ultracheap SuperOEMs.

Outside of that, I'd like a drone with camera in it that I could fly over Vekked every time he leaves his house and when I press a button, it drops an egg on his head. That's a product that's only very loosely linked to turntablism,

I would pay just to see that!