SOULECTION discography is available for download for free for the next 24 hours.

ninjason

Guest petesasqwax

Damn, that's funny to see coming from Kutmah (who, it could be suggested, has at times been a cuplrit) 

Guest petesasqwax

On a related topic, I was giving Jonwayne another listen (off the back of watching the Looking For The Perfect Beat doc) and the main thing I have an issue with him is his drums. He spits like he means it, but the tinny little drum hits suggest otherwise.

On a related topic, I was giving Jonwayne another listen (off the back of watching the Looking For The Perfect Beat doc) and the main thing I have an issue with him is his drums. He spits like he means it, but the tinny little drum hits suggest otherwise.

Yes, yes and more yes!

Guest petesasqwax

When he's sat in front of his computer recording in shakers and the like over sampled drum hits, I'm thinking: "I like this d00d - shit is sounding tight" but I listen to his releases and get left disappointed.

I appreciate this could quite easily fall into the "Pete dislikes non-organic drum sounds" general topic - and that would probably cover the issue pretty well in general - but I'm trying to find newer shit that I like. My remit is pretty symbol: don't have piss-weak drum sounds that fucking suck. There are other issues (if the phrase "woozy synth lines" crosses your mind when you need to take the pillow out ya head and put a brick in it... or something similar that KRS once said). I'm not particularly interested in "keep it real golden era shit" - much of it was great when it happened, but shit moves on - I just want people to fuck with drum sounds that ACTUALLY SOUND LIKE DRUMS. Is that so hard? I love an 808 kick as much as the next man - more, in fact. Bottom line is: I doubt I've made a track without layering an 808 kick under the organic one since back when I only had 2 kids (my 3rd just turned 10...) but just because you have an 808 kick on your track doesn't mean the rest of your drums can take the day off

the stussy x soulection album is one of my favorites, so that might be a good one to check. pretty much any of the compilation albums is a good start.

I suspect most of this shit won't me to my tastes but I'll grab a few bits to try out and see where we go from there

Guest broke

I discovered Jonwayne via his Remixes are Things EP, which I still listen to. It's genius, especially 'My Chain'.

However, I've never been able to get into anything else he's done, especially if it involves him rapping. To me, he sort of raps like he's just taking a break from another five hour Dungeons and Dragons session, put on an Anonymous mask and still has a mouth full of hot pocket I.E. THAT FEDORA FLOW (COPYRIGHT (ME) RIGHT NOW)

Nah there's a couple of good tracks on the album tbh.

BLAH BLAH BLAH IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE IT WAS MADE IN 1994 SO HERE'S A LENGTHY PARAGRAPH ABOUT WHY I DON'T LIKE ALL THIS ELECTRONIC MUSIC THE KIDS ARE INTO IS IT COLD IN HERE THE NURSES ARE STEALING MY MEDICINE

I THINK MY COFFEE JUST KICKED IN

Guest broke

the stussy x soulection album is one of my favorites, so that might be a good one to check. pretty much any of the compilation albums is a good start.

I like the Sade tribute

All I'm going to say is that you call your genre "Beats", then the beats in your music wanna pretty damn strong, preferably the highlight. Instead, a lot of fairly repetitive, non melodic synth lines seem to dominate and the drums often sound like an afterthought - too many generic drum machine sounds that just sound like presets from Ableton or Maschine or whatever. Apart from clumsy over-compression, they seem to like drum presets to sound pretty stock and dry too.

Guest petesasqwax

BLAH BLAH BLAH IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE IT WAS MADE IN 1994 SO HERE'S A LENGTHY PARAGRAPH ABOUT WHY I DON'T LIKE ALL THIS ELECTRONIC MUSIC THE KIDS ARE INTO IS IT COLD IN HERE THE NURSES ARE STEALING MY MEDICINE

Guest petesasqwax

All I'm going to say is that if you call your genre "Beats", then the beats in your music wanna pretty damn strong, preferably the highlight. Instead, a lot of fairly repetitive, non melodic synth lines seem to dominate and the drums often sound like an afterthought - too many generic drum machine sounds that just sound like presets from Ableton or Maschine or whatever. Apart from clumsy over-compression, they seem to like drum presets to sound pretty stock and dry too.

PREACH, MATT!

I discovered Jonwayne via his Remixes are Things EP, which I still listen to. It's genius, especially 'My Chain'.

However, I've never been able to get into anything else he's done, especially if it involves him rapping. To me, he sort of raps like he's just taking a break from another five hour Dungeons and Dragons session, put on an Anonymous mask and still has a mouth full of hot pocket I.E. THAT FEDORA FLOW (COPYRIGHT (ME) RIGHT NOW)

Nah there's a couple of good tracks on the album tbh.

I'll check the Remixes Are Things EP. It sounds like he definitely does have the ability to make shit I would dig, but mostly he doesn't. Fedora Flow™ is the shit. Props on that, Dun-Ra. Fedora Flow™ is most definitely entering my lexicon...

Guest petesasqwax

For what it's worth... I was listening to this in the car this morning:

There are definitely some beats that are seriously lacking their minerals and vitamins (irons and the niacin, nahmean?) and which tiptoe along the line of RNB, but I'll give Kutmah the benefit of the doubt. He's sailing close to the wind calling out other people for making weak beats, though, but props to him for saying something.

Guest broke

I'll check the Remixes Are Things EP. It sounds like he definitely does have the ability to make shit I would dig, but mostly he doesn't. Fedora Flow™ is the shit. Props on that, Dun-Ra. Fedora Flow™ is most definitely entering my lexicon...

His 'My Chain' remix has a very Nintendo meets Casio sound, so it might not be for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still struggling to download it, i can upload to Mediafire later tonight

i'd love a link if you ever got this discography uploaded into the atmosphere. can't find a download that works anywhere!

might even be able to donate a lil to help get it on the internet....