Just got a Z2 a few weeks ago, could use some input...

What's up,

I'm on the fence about this mixer...I really really like it, it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. The sound quality, for a DVS, is pretty awesome and definitely better than my old Serato setup. The effects are cool and the skratching sounds and feels right, too. Actually, really impressed with cuttin' on this thing, especially coupled with subtle delays and such.

It's just, damn, digital sound still hurts my ears...then my shoulders and body; a downward domino effect. That said, I can't play long. Even when I switch to OG vinyl and bypass Traktor, it still sounds muddied and a little compressed, like it's still going through an analog to digital converter. I love all the options, effects, bells and whistles, but in the end, I want super legit warm audio, not paper thin, ear bleeding bs. Maybe I don't have some shit set up proper, which is why I could use some input.

1. When calibrating, I see a blue circle with a yellow line in the middle, not the yellow circle inside of a yellow circle as seen in all calibration tuts/vids. Is this typical, or is it jacked up? I'm using the Traktor MK2 vinyl.

2. Don't have speakers, so I'm using Beringer headphones, like some $30 deals. This too could be the issue, and hopefully the case 'cause I f'n absolutely love this mixer.

3. I'm not using MP3's since they just sound horrible, only wav filles. Are there better ways to import your music into Traktor so it retains the quality, or does it matter?

Thanks!

I think the colour difference comes down to using the MK2 vinyl instead of the MK1, but I'm not 100% on that.

Using cheap headphones could certainly be one reason why the sound quality isn't good.

WAV is the best you're going to get, although I use FLAC as it's lossless, it has full tagging support, and it shrinks WAV files down by a decent amount. Obviously any audio codec is garbage in, garbage out, so just because you have a WAV file it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to sound good. It depends on the source, the mastering, whether it's a transcode etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback, Steve.

Makes sense with the MK2 vinyl generating different calibration imagery, now I feel like everything's okay. On that note, I'm liking the sound more and more; I've been adjusting the highs/mids/lows accordingly, and try to get quality tracks, which is making a noticeable difference. I really need to get some quality headphones though, maybe the HD-280's.

Anyway, thanks again.

Peace.

• 5 weeks later...

True true. Now I'm borrowing my roommate's HD-25's and it's made a colossal difference. I can even tolerate mp3's, but high bitrate wavs sound much better. Just got some dope Event studio monitors, but haven't even plugged 'em in 'cause I don't have any space left in my room. Moving at the end of this month to a bigger spot though where I can flex.

• 11 months later...

Actually, you don't even have to use Shift, just A or B. For instance, if your turntable is hooked up to A, and you want to duplicate that track to B, just click B (which loads it from the beginning) or press B twice and it'll load from the current time (and EQ settings) as A. Works extremely well.