µTorrent's Shady Bitcoin-Mining Program Could Blow Up Your Computer

Phology

from Motherboard -

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/torrents-shady-bitcoin-mining-program-could-blow-up-your-computer?utm_source=mbfb

"For roughly a decade, µTorrent has been, if not the best torrent download client, certainly one of the most attractive. It has well over 100 million users, who have been lured in by the program's small file size, unobtrusive nature, and well-designed powerful interface.
You should uninstall it, right now.
Packaged with the latest version of µTorrent is a program called Epic Scale, a surreptitious digital currency miner that secretly uses your computer’s processing power in order to make money for µTorrent and Epic Scale.
There is a clause in Epic Scale's policy that says its software might literally destroy your computer."

You have to choose to install that program when running the installer, but "Accept offer" is selected by default, so it's easy to install it by mistake if you rush through the install steps.

I dumped uTorrent a while ago though. I use qBittorrent now and it's accepted by any private trackers I use.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...